RIP Ken Stabler

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the best litmus test I have ever heard for Pro Football HOF Status is " Would you be able to tell the story of the NFL without mentioning this guy?". Seems obvious to me that Ken Stabler is a HUGE part of any discussion of NFL in the 70's.

Now.. I'm too young to have watched Ken Stabler play in person.. but anyone who has the slightest sense of the history of the game knows about his legend and the legendary games and plays he has been involved in. I don't need to rehash them all here.

Sure .. I've heard that many HOF voters have turned him down because of his supposed bad practice habits and general laziness.. but look at the end results.. and ask yourself " Can I tell the story of the NFL without mentioning Kenny Stabler?" and the answer is.. "Hell No"

And if you answer "Hell No" than the next logical step is to say "Hell Yes" to The Snake being in Pro Football HOF.

Don't know where that came from but I really like it. The litmus test. The Raiders had a ton of colorful figures but it was very hard not to like The Snake even if you hated the Raiders.

Sad, news...I did not know he had cancer. I definitely loved the 70s Raiders and it was cool how often channel 2 would put them on at 4pm (with the great Curt Gowdy calling the games).

It's been said already and I concur...those guys reminded you a lot of the 88-93 Bills. So much fun to watch and I was thrilled when they finally got over the top by smacking Minnesota around in the Super Bowl.

RIP.

• 1 month later...