RIP Ken Stabler

@ESPNStatsInfo: Former NFL QB Ken Stabler has died.

Stabler threw for nearly 28,000 yards and was NFL MVP for the Raiders in 1974

@BairCSN: Stabler family said Ken's brain, spinal cord were donated to Boston U's CTE center, which researches degenerative brain disease in athletes.

"The Snake" was 69.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not often I see an RIP here and mutter "dammit," but Stabler was one of my favorite players when i was growing up. There was something about him that was just cool, without too much swagger. And his receivers? Branch, Biletnikoff. Casper. Throw in Ray Guy punting the bejeezus out of the ball. Madden yelling.

In my mind, he was the Raider's Jim Kelly, and while I've only ever met one Raider fan I liked, it's a sad day for Raider nation.

@BairCSN: Stabler family said Ken's brain, spinal cord were donated to Boston U's CTE center, which researches degenerative brain disease in athletes.

Did he have dementia?

It was tough not to like the Raiders back then. They were a cast of characters much like the BILLS in our heyday. Phil Villipiano, The Stork, Otis Sistrunk, Old Man Willie Brown, George Atkinson, Jack Tatum, Fred Biletnikoff, Jim Otto, Cliff Branch, Mark Van Eegan, Gene Upshaw, Art Schell, Dave Casper, etc.

Stabler was the face of that franchise. I don't think anyone had more fun playing the game. He was a joy to watch and maybe the most clutch player of his era.

It was tough not to like the Raiders back then. They were a cast of characters much like the BILLS in our heyday. Phil Villipiano, The Stork, Otis Sistrunk, Old Man Willie Brown, George Atkinson, Jack Tatum, Fred Biletnikoff, Jim Otto, Cliff Branch, Mark Van Eegan, Gene Upshaw, Art Schell, Dave Casper, etc.

Stabler was the face of that franchise. I don't think anyone had more fun playing the game. He was a joy to watch and maybe the most clutch player of his era.

I HATED them. Almost as much as the Dolphins. It didn't help that my 2nd favorite team was the Chiefs (back then you had the Bills and "a good team")

As much as I liked Stabler, Al Davis was always the face of the Raiders' franchise more than any player.

I HATED them. Almost as much as the Dolphins. It didn't help that my 2nd favorite team was the Chiefs (back then you had the Bills and "a good team")

I totally agree on the bolded part, but the Chiefs!? You picked the Chiefs as your "good team"? Mine was the Raiders.....