Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

I don't disagree that he was a project. Unfortunately this team is built to win right now and those windows don't stay open long in the salary cap era. All of the pieces have to come together simultaneously. I believe that if the Bills had Alex Smith (as an example) they would be a Super Bowl contender. They don't need Aaron Rodgers but at the same time they can't have the worst QB situation in the league (which they are arguably now).

So he had a bad practice. It's the 2nd one of training camp. And he picked it up towards the end of practice. Rex himself said EJ had a good practice yesterday. IMO, it's a bit early to worry. Actually what's the point in worrying, what are they going to do? There aren't very many options at QB, they are pretty much stuck with what they got for now.

Edit: and I'm in the 40/60 group on if EJ will succeed. It's still a long shot but they are stuck with who they got. Just got to hope the Roman can mood the offense to whoever wins.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree that he was a project. Unfortunately this team is built to win right now and those windows don't stay open long in the salary cap era. All of the pieces have to come together simultaneously. I believe that if the Bills had Alex Smith (as an example) they would be a Super Bowl contender. They don't need Aaron Rodgers but at the same time they can't have the worst QB situation in the league (which they are arguably now).

I agree 100% the Bills are built to win now and I'm highly confident in Greg Roman that he will tailor the offense to whoever wins the QB battle. With Alex Smith, Roman did the dink and dunk game (short to intermediate) passes, just enough to keep moving the chains and be a good game manager.

Agree on the coaching.

I don't agree that's it's too early on EJ. His issues (accuracy & slow eyes) are not things that improve (and they haven't). He's a hard worker and a great guy but there is a reason that many had a mid round grade on him. EJ was a mediocre college player on a team with a lot of talent. He regressed quite a bit last year and has played at least 5 awful games of his 14 starts (SD, Houston, Pittsburgh, TB, Baltimore). This wasn't some "can't miss" guy like Luck. If you compare EJ so far to even guys like Mettenberger and Glennon their performances have been better (much better in Glennon's case). Let me flip the question outside of "he has 14 starts" what is it that is so encouraging to you about EJ?

In terms of Taylor the big difference between he and Karpernick is pedigree. One is 6' something, a college star and an early 2nd round pick. The other a later round guy with some tools.

I'll tell you what encourages me about EJ Manuel so far. It was the way, in 14 starts, how he rallied his team back in games against Carolina, Baltimore, Atlanta and NE late in those games to put them in position to win those games.

Kirby, let's talk about many a Pro Bowl/HOFer that had mid round grades on them coming out of college

But they don't have Alex Smith, they have these guys. I've said this before, if Cassel beats the two young guys, this team is screwed. It would be back to the never ending QB search. Without a QB they are good enough to win enough to not get a very high pick. And good starting caliber QBs rarely hit the FA market or get traded.

@BuffaloBillsPR

“Buffalo is a blue collar town and I am a blue collar guy.” - #Bills RB @Boobie24Dixon on @WGR550

CLVhEKSUAAE0Ocd.jpg

@TyDunne

Rex Ryan says John Miller had a bruise on his ankle, expects him to be fine.

Ryan has nothing to add on Kromer, says they're working with the league right now.

Ryan acknowledges McKelvin had a setback from his ankle injury last year. Says it's a good opportunity for Darby.

So he had a bad practice. It's the 2nd one of training camp. And he picked it up towards the end of practice. Rex himself said EJ had a good practice yesterday. IMO, it's a bit early to worry. Actually what's the point in worrying, what are they going to do? There aren't very many options at QB, they are pretty much stuck with what they got for now.

I don't disagree. I guess that I would be exploring trying to trade for Glennon. He isn't great by any means but would clearly be the best guy IMO. I'd consider Mettenberger as well (but he may not be better).

It's not just the practices for me. It's the whole body of work. I just don't see it turning. I hope that I am wrong but what he struggles with is tough to improve. None of the QBs are accurate and with the Bills playmakers this is crucial. You need to be able to get them the ball.

I agree 100% the Bills are built to win now and I'm highly confident in Greg Roman that he will tailor the offense to whoever wins the QB battle. With Alex Smith, Roman did the dink and dunk game (short to intermediate) passes, just enough to keep moving the chains and be a good game manager.

Thats exactly ehat I am hoping that he can find here.

I'll tell you what encourages me about EJ Manuel so far. It was the way, in 14 starts, how he rallied his team back in games against Carolina, Baltimore, Atlanta and NE late in those games to put them in position to win those games.

Kirby, let's talk about many a Pro Bowl/HOFer that had mid round grades on them coming out of college

Lets talk about how many didn't. For every Tom Brady there are 100 Levi Brown's. We always focus on the outliers but we really should focus on the likelihood. I believe that 1/2 of the NFL starting QBs this year were picked in the top 5 or 10 picks (or something like that). Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't disagree. I guess that I would be exploring trying to trade for Glennon. He isn't great by any means but would clearly be the best guy IMO. I'd consider Mettenberger as well (but he may not be better).

It's not just the practices for me. It's the whole body of work. I just don't see it turning. I hope that I am wrong but what he struggles with is tough to improve. None of the QBs are accurate. with the Bills playmakers this is crucial. You need to be able to get them the ball.

does Mett have any mobility? If so I think he's a better choice than Glennon, who is a statue. I say that because Roman seems to want that at the position for his scheme - doesn't need to be a Kap- type but just someone who can move around in the pocket. Cassell has more than a guy like Orton for example.

But they don't have Alex Smith, they have these guys. I've said this before, if Cassel beats the two young guys, this team is screwed. It would be back to the never ending QB search. Without a QB they are good enough to win enough to not get a very high pick. And good starting caliber QBs rarely hit the FA market or get traded.

Are they screwed though? Is EJ or Tyrod better than Cassel or just more unproven? I ask as someone that is hoping for Taylor. If they have even the 22nd best QB in the league they will be totally fine. At the moment though they aren't in the top 30. Edited by Kirby Jackson

does Mett have any mobility? If so I think he's a better choice than Glennon, who is a statue. I say that because Roman seems to want that at the position for his scheme - doesn't need to be a Kap- type but just someone who can move around in the pocket. Cassell has more than a guy like Orton for example.

Not a ton, more than Glennon but not much.

It's not just the practices for me. It's the whole body of work. I just don't see it turning. I hope that I am wrong but what he struggles with is tough to improve. None of the QBs are accurate. with the Bills playmakers this is crucial. You need to be able to get them the ball.

I agree and I'm in the EJ is still a long shot camp but idk, I'm not going to get worked up about the 2nd day of camp or even the 7th, 8th or 9th.

It's not just the practices for me. It's the whole body of work. I just don't see it turning. I hope that I am wrong but what he struggles with is tough to improve. None of the QBs are accurate and with the Bills playmakers this is crucial. You need to be able to get them the ball.Thats exactly ehat I am hoping that he can find here.Lets talk about how many didn't. For every Tom Brady there are 100 Levi Brown's. We always focus on the outliers but we really should focus on the likelihood. I believe that 1/2 of the NFL starting QBs this year were picked in the top 5 or 10 picks (or something like that).

I count 12 out of 32 teams (or something like that)

Are they screwed though? Is EJ or Tyrod better than Cassel or just more unproven? I ask as someone that is hoping for Taylor. If they have even the 22nd best QB in the league they will be totally fine. At the moment though they aren't in the top 30.

Why are you hoping for Taylor and not hoping EJ improves?

Are they screwed though? Is EJ or Tyrod better than Cassel or just more unproven? I ask as someone that is hoping for Taylor. If they have even the 22nd best QB in the league they will be totally fine. At the moment though they aren't in the top 30.

If Cassel wins I think they are screwed. I don't care if it is Manuel or Taylor. I'm not as down on Manuel as you are. If one of these guys cant beat out Matt Cassel it's back to the drawing board.

The reports i read on QBs so far are far from encouraging. I would be really excited if they could trade for Mettenberger. The one game i saw him play last year, he was head and shoulder above EJ.

I am worried about O line dept. I read Miller has a bruise on knee which is obviously no big deal but it made me wonder who is there after him. Urbik is backing up 3 positions on the line right now.

I count 12 out of 32 teams (or something like that)

Why are you hoping for Taylor and not hoping EJ improves?

I don't see EJ's accuracy improving or his eyes getting quicker. He's been a QB for 15 years or so? It hasn't improved to date and realistically I see no reason to believe that it will.

In terms of Taylor he has good tools. People that I respect (specifically John Harbaugh and Gary Kubiak) think very highly of him. He's an elite athlete and one of the traits that I think is most crucial at the QB position on this team is moving the chains on 3rd down. He will make a lot of plays on 3rd down with his feet. In addition, he's the unknown. I've seen enough of the other 2 to form an opinion. The unknown is more appealing to me.

In terms of starters in the league: Smith, Palmer, Bradford, Cutler, Bortles, Winston, Ryan, Mariota, Cam, Tannehill, Cutler (i think), Stafford, Manning, Manning, Rivers, Big Ben (he was 11 I think) is pretty much what I have (so 1/2).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's not just the practices for me. It's the whole body of work. I just don't see it turning. I hope that I am wrong but what he struggles with is tough to improve. None of the QBs are accurate and with the Bills playmakers this is crucial. You need to be able to get them the ball.

Lets talk about how many didn't. For every Tom Brady there are 100 Levi Brown's. We always focus on the outliers but we really should focus on the likelihood. I believe that 1/2 of the NFL starting QBs this year were picked in the top 5 or 10 picks (or something like that).

Kirby, what are your thoughts on the theory that EJ can improve with better lower body mechanics? Proper footwork and throwing more consistently from a strong base. My thought is that Marrone, Hackett and whatever the name was of that joke of a QB coach we hired last year did not even attempt to overhaul Manuel's mechanics the way he needed coming from a simplified system at FSU. Would it be fair to say that he may have just begun that much-needed overhaul this offseason?