NYSE resumes trading after unprecedented shutdown

Probably not her fault. I believe this part of the story:

Antiquated System

When I took office in late 2013 one of my priorities was to upgrade OPMs antiquated legacy system, she said. It is because of the efforts of OPM and its staff that weve been able to identify the breaches.

Obama administration officials have defended Archuleta since the breach was disclosed last month, crediting her office with unearthing the intrusion during a project to upgrade security on government networks.

Over the last year, as director Archuleta noted, OPM has been aggressively improving its security, Andy Ozment, assistant secretary of the Office of Cybersecurity and Communications at the Department of Homeland Security, told reporters on Thursday. OPM caught an intrusion because of the tools that it had rolled out.

Bloomberg - U.S. Personnel Director Archuleta Quits After Data Breach http://bloom.bg/1J8XwTg

Probably not her fault. I believe this part of the story:

Antiquated System

When I took office in late 2013 one of my priorities was to upgrade OPMs antiquated legacy system, she said. It is because of the efforts of OPM and its staff that weve been able to identify the breaches.

Obama administration officials have defended Archuleta since the breach was disclosed last month, crediting her office with unearthing the intrusion during a project to upgrade security on government networks.

Over the last year, as director Archuleta noted, OPM has been aggressively improving its security, Andy Ozment, assistant secretary of the Office of Cybersecurity and Communications at the Department of Homeland Security, told reporters on Thursday. OPM caught an intrusion because of the tools that it had rolled out.

Bloomberg - U.S. Personnel Director Archuleta Quits After Data Breach http://bloom.bg/1J8XwTg

Yeah, that was the project I was working on, updating that antiquated system. She cancelled it. And lied to Congress about it two weeks ago. And OPM has been "aggressively improving its security" over the past year because they were hacked very badly back in February of last year - I was present and involved in that fiasco. It's not to their credit that their response was so inept that they got hacked again.

It's not her "fault," in that the problem is systemic and goes back years, and ultimately IT is the CIO's job (and Archuleta's "office" didn't unearth the intrusion. I know the people that did.) But it is her responsibility, and she made the problem significantly worse with amazingly poor staffing and operational decisions.