United Airlines’ U.S. Takeoffs Halted on ‘Automation Issues’

Saxum

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-08/united-grounds-all-u-s-flights-on-automation-issues-faa-says

United Airlines’ U.S. departures have all been halted because of a computer fault, the second such setback for the carrier in less than six weeks.

“Automation issues” triggered the move, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday. United flights already airborne are continuing to operate, according to aircraft-tracking website Flightradar24.

“We experienced a network connectivity issue this morning,” United spokesman Luke Punzenberger said by e-mail. “We are working to resolve this and apologize to our customers for any inconvenience.”

This is what happens when companies skimp on IT or as I heard from someone who works for UA subcontracts a lot of the work to India.

Edited by Koolaid

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-08/united-grounds-all-u-s-flights-on-automation-issues-faa-says

This is what happens when companies skimp on IT or as I heard from someone who works for UA subcontracts a lot of the work to India.

It's what happens when companies refuse to accept an established working system, and try to use some off the shelf HP product that may have worked for Continental but can't handle the volume/complexities of a merged airline.

Another problem is their lack of a manual fall back system. Flight Plans can still be filed with the FAA outside the failed system. Weight & Balance can be easily calculated by the flight crews, or a ground based location that has established radio communication with the flight(s).

I worked for United 1968-2003, am a licensed Airline Transport Pilot and a licensed FAA Aircraft Dispatcher (the person who prepares/files the flight plans/weather briefings etc.). Sad to say that the airline that represents itself as United today, in not the company that I used to work for.

allegedly they are heading for a 1929 like crash of their financial markets, I am sure that will greatly affect them, but perhaps this is some sort of retribution

This nonsense with china needs to be reciprocated.

It's what happens when companies refuse to accept an established working system, and try to use some off the shelf HP product that may have worked for Continental but can't handle the volume/complexities of a merged airline.

Another problem is their lack of a manual fall back system. Flight Plans can still be filed with the FAA outside the failed system. Weight & Balance can be easily calculated by the flight crews, or a ground based location that has established radio communication with the flight(s).

I worked for United 1968-2003, am a licensed Airline Transport Pilot and a licensed FAA Aircraft Dispatcher (the person who prepares/files the flight plans/weather briefings etc.). Sad to say that the airline that represents itself as United today, in not the company that I used to work for.

It was an established working system. Specifically, it was Continental's.

This is what happens when you use the established working system of a company five years' gone instead of your own.

I was working with a vendor today that flew into Buffalo from NJ. He said ticketing was down, he had to check in manually. His flight took off before the halted all other flights, when he landed he got an email stating his flight was delayed. His return flight is scheduled to leave at 6:30, I don't see that happening...