More soccer--USMNT in the Gold Cup

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really not a soccer fan, but when the big events come around I do enjoy watching them, i should give the EPL a shot, but not having any rooting interest in a team makes it hard to really follow along. Early on I didn't have anyone in NASCAR to root for, so it was simply cars going around in ovals, then Denny Hamlin came along from the town I was living in and suddenly I had someone to root for, so it became a lot more enjoyable.

Don't worry. This one will pretty much fly under the radar as far as mainstream media coverage.

It will be a very tough, grind-it-out game tonight. Honduras plays a very tough defensive game. When they play a more skilled team, like USA, they bunker in and try to beat you up.

I hope the USA can find ways to find space and create a lot of chances, but this has 1-0 written all over it.

I am really not a soccer fan, but when the big events come around I do enjoy watching them, i should give the EPL a shot, but not having any rooting interest in a team makes it hard to really follow along. Early on I didn't have anyone in NASCAR to root for, so it was simply cars going around in ovals, then Denny Hamlin came along from the town I was living in and suddenly I had someone to root for, so it became a lot more enjoyable.

You just have to pick one and roll with it. That's what I did and now love it. Love that it is on all morning on weekends, it's great to wake up to. Just make sure you pick a team that doesn't really have a shot at getting demoted.

If you like dynasty type teams - Chelsea and Man U are your best choices right now.

If you like great teams with a storied history but not too much success as of late (get on the bandwagon before they are elite again) - Liverpool / Arsenal are probably your best bets

If you like teams that have had some tough history but are on top right now - Man City is your go to team

If you like teams that really aren't going to be consistently at the top but may shock you sometime and should stay up at the EPL most of the time you should go with Everton, Southampton, Tottenham, New Castle, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Stoke.

If you like teams that will get relegated and are OK with that just in hopes of an epic run one year - Queens Park Rangers, Swansea City, West Brom, Wolverhampton, Bolton Wanderers, Norwich are some choices.

Heck, just look at their uniforms and pick the one which you like the colors the best.

The rest of them you are taking a significant chance of starting to follow a team that you won't even be able to see any games of because they will often be relegated.

Me, I chose LIverpool a few years back and haven't looked back since.

Edited by Mark80

I'd pick Liverpool, because I'm from Liverpool(NY ), as good a reason as any, well that and the Beatles

You just have to pick one and roll with it. That's what I did and now love it. Love that it is on all morning on weekends, it's great to wake up to. Just make sure you pick a team that doesn't really have a shot at getting demoted.

If you like dynasty type teams - Chelsea and Man U are your best choices right now.

If you like great teams with a storied history but not too much success as of late (get on the bandwagon before they are elite again) - Liverpool / Arsenal are probably your best bets

If you like teams that have had some tough history but are on top right now - Man City is your go to team

If you like teams that really aren't going to be consistently at the top but may shock you sometime and should stay up at the EPL most of the time you should go with Everton, Southampton, Tottenham, New Castle, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Stoke.

If you like teams that will get relegated and are OK with that just in hopes of an epic run one year - Queens Park Rangers, Swansea City, West Brom, Wolverhampton, Bolton Wanderers, Norwich are some choices.

Heck, just look at their uniforms and pick the one which you like the colors the best.

The rest of them you are taking a significant chance of starting to follow a team that you won't even be able to see any games of because they will often be relegated.

Me, I chose LIverpool a few years back and haven't looked back since.

I'd pick Liverpool, because I'm from Liverpool(NY ), as good a reason as any, well that and the Beatles

My main reason. Got to have a couple pints at the Cavern Club a few years back. Very cool.

Good job getting the win. Honduras did what they do well--they drag a quality oponent into the mud. It was a very physical, nasty game, as expected. Great to have the three points and move on. I think every team in the world hates playing Honduras. Although, Honduras did surpise me a little bit last night. They have some talented attacking players and they created some good chances. They did not just bunker in and try to make a stalemate. CONCACAF is truly improving in quality at a fast pace.

Chandler was awful. I've never really liked him. I don't know why Klinsmann keeps giving him chances to the be guy at right back.

By the way, the Atlanta MLS team (starting in 2017) just unveiled their new logo...

I'm not too crazy about it. Seems pretty generic. Nothing fun about it. Also, it feels a little old school fascist, like some pseudo-Nazi imagery from 1984 or The Wall. I wish the Atlanta Silverbacks (of the NASL) could have been promoted to fill the MLS slot. The Silverbacks have a cool name and imagery, with the silverback gorilla thing going on. I live in Atlanta and I've been excited about having an MLS team here, but from what I've seen so far, it's feeling kind of lame.

post-3254-0-91398100-1436367641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cugalabanza

By the way, the Atlanta MLS team (starting in 2017) just unveiled their new logo...

I'm not too crazy about it. Seems pretty generic. Nothing fun about it. Also, it feels a little old school fascist, like some pseudo-Nazi imagery from 1984 or The Wall. I wish the Atlanta Silverbacks (of the NASL) could have been promoted to fill the MLS slot. The Silverbacks have a cool name and imagery, with the silverback gorilla thing going on. I live in Atlanta and I've been excited about having an MLS team here, but from what I've seen so far, it's feeling kind of lame.

Oh no...here we go again....FC Dallas vs Atlanta. ( my team vs yours)

Oh no...here we go again....FC Dallas vs Atlanta. ( my team vs yours)

I guess so.

Although, I'm not 100% sure that I'll root for the Atlanta team. The new NYCFC is compiling an interesting team with some of my favorite players:

David Villa (Spain)

Andrea Pirlo (Italy)

Frank Lampard (England)

Mix Diskerud (plays on USMNT)

I'll wait to see how Atlanta Utd. FC plays out. At this point, it feels like little more than a corporate endeavor. If it starts to feel fun, I'll get into it.

USA vs. Haiti tonight.

I'm hoping they sit Chandler and maybe Jozy too. I'd also like to see Mix Diskerud replace Kyle Beckerman.

Why sit Jozy? He's such a physical force up front, it makes up for his selfish play...a little.