Man dies after shooting off firework from top of his head

CALAIS, Maine

A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/05/man-dies-after-shooting-off-firework-from-top-his-head-police-say/

Edited by JTSP

Don't quite understand why you are not required to have a license and some training before you can buy fireworks.

Instead, a bunch of drunk guys who like fire go nuts on the 4th of July. This guy killed himself; but not hard to imagine him killing others.

Substitute the word "fireworks" with "guns."

The county in which I live legalized the sale of fireworks from June 4 - July 4 this year. I am dead set against it. One friend of mine lost her house because her son disposed of used fireworks in a trash bin in the garage prematurely. It's simply not worth it. Leave this stuff to the professionals.

I'll admit, I bought a couple small fireworks and some sparklers, but it wasn't worth it. We were responsible with ours, but many will not be. And it won't just be their properties that suffer damage. And the rednecks who live within proximity to me likely skipped at least one mortgage/rent payment in order to buy enough to last them till next year.

Dumb.

I liked the part in the article where he was described by friends as smart, witty and willing to do anything for a laugh.... Demon rum claims another victim, or just stupid in extremis.

He's neither smart nor witty if he thought killing himself would get a good laugh.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html

Staples, 22, of Calais, a small city on the Canadian border, placed a reloadable fireworks mortar tube on his head and told his friends he was going to light it, McCausland said. But his friends urged him to stop.

"Apparently, he thought that was a great idea," McCausland said. "His friends they thought dissuaded him from doing it, and the next thing they knew, he ignited the fireworks and he was killed instantly."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Did he have any kids? If not, definitely a candidate for a Darwin Award

fireworks have only been legal in maine for a few years. There will be a generation of accidents while the fireworks naturally select which mainers will live on.

He refused to just roll over and concede July's Darwin Award to the "!@#$ the Alligators!" guy.

I liked the part in the article where he was described by friends as smart, witty and willing to do anything for a laugh.... Demon rum claims another victim, or just stupid in extremis.

This should be celebrated. Yet another windowlicker prevented from procreating!

:lol:

Sometimes I'm really embarrassed to participate in the same community as you idiots. So heartless and callus. Really, you should be ashamed to get so much joy out of making fun of this young man's tragic and accidental death. Like none of you have done anything stupid, sober or not, in your late teens early 20s? Give me f'n break.

Edited by Mark80

Sometimes I'm really embarrassed to participate in the same community as you idiots. So heartless and callus. Really, you should be ashamed to get so much joy out of making fun of this young man's tragic and accidental death. Like none of you have done anything stupid, sober or not, in your late teens early 20s? Give me f'n break.

I'm pretty sure I never set off a mortar from on top of my head. That's why it's likely still attached.

Tragic, perhaps. Accidental? Not so much. An accident is when something completely unforeseen happens. Putting a mortar shell on your head and then lighting it yourself, is not accidental. It's reckless and stupid, and his family is fortunate that no one else got hurt by his stupidity.