National Media attempts feel good Rex story

pbanach

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/rex-ryan-has-won-buffalo-without-winning-a-single-nfl-game

The article doesn't really discuss football x's and o's,but there's a few backhanded compliments about the Bills and Buffalo. Maybe I'm just being sensitive.

I suppose Buffalo comes across as possibly another city Ryan has conned though the author isn't that overtly negative.

Yeah, the article itself, seems like a backhanded compliment to Rex. But it the end, it isn't saying anything we don't already know...if he doesn't win sooner than later (there will be a honeymoon period...Buffalo fans in general are pretty patient), his persona will seem like shtick....if the team shows the improvement we all want, makes the playoffs, plays with "swagger", Rex will live up to his billing, and all we be happy. It really is as simple as that.

I just recently re-watched the first 4 episodes of Hard Knock 2010, featuring Rex and his NY Jets. We have never had that kind of access to the Bills coaching staff, but I find it hard to imagine that any of the most recent Bills coaches (except maybe Marrone) really put their imprint on every facet of the team, like Rex seemed to. With that NY Jets team, he had a very experienced staff (for the most part), and the assistants seem to do most of the heavy lifting, but Rex seems to have a good feel for where he needs to step in, and where he needs to back off, as far as his assistants go. His staff really seemed to work well together...and they seem to have a focused message.

The only hint of any disagreement seemed to come between Rex and Pettine...at one point, during a pre-season game, Bart Scott is flying all over the field, being super aggressive, and playing, honestly, kind of dirty. Pettine gets kind of pissed at him for his reckless play, but before he can scold Scott, Rex, via headset, tell Pettine "I told him to play that way, to play with passion"...at which point, Pettine (not visible to his boss) says with a look of disgust, "there is a difference between playing with passion, and playing dumb" or something along those lines...