Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, except for the fact that they play each other again in a couple days.

Actually as a fan, I agree with Buffalo Joe, big game tonight! If they split points, it's not ideal, but ok. Losing tonight would make Monday's game an non must lose scenario, so much less stressful. GO TANK!!

Edited by ricojes

Actually as a fan, I agree with Buffalo Joe, big game tonight! If they split points, it's not ideal, but ok. Losing tonight would make Monday's game an non must lose scenario, so much less stressful. GO TANK!!

Realistically a split of the two games finishes it. That leaves a scenario where we have to gain 6 points over the remaining 7 games. Let's face it, with as bad as these two teams are, a split is by far the most likely outcome. For those of you who do watch it, if by some chance this thing goes to overtime, remember that this is not a bad thing. Sure we pick up 1-2 points, but so does Arizona. Even an OT win moves us one step closer.

For those that like to think in terms of magic numbers, it is now at 13. Any combination of points gained by Arizona or lost by Buffalo of at least 13 and we can't pass them in the standings. So if this game gets to overtime, that number decreases by either 1 or 3. OT isn't ideal, but it will work.

(And I'm ignoring Edmonton in these numbers because that complicates things slightly)

Realistically a split of the two games finishes it. That leaves a scenario where we have to gain 6 points over the remaining 7 games. Let's face it, with as bad as these two teams are, a split is by far the most likely outcome. For those of you who do watch it, if by some chance this thing goes to overtime, remember that this is not a bad thing. Sure we pick up 1-2 points, but so does Arizona. Even an OT win moves us one step closer.

For those that like to think in terms of magic numbers, it is now at 13. Any combination of points gained by Arizona or lost by Buffalo of at least 13 and we can't pass them in the standings. So if this game gets to overtime, that number decreases by either 1 or 3. OT isn't ideal, but it will work.

(And I'm ignoring Edmonton in these numbers because that complicates things slightly)

I haven't checked really, but if I recall, Edmonton still isn't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

I haven't checked really, but if I recall, Edmonton still isn't mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Right, they aren't. The whole magic number thing only works when comparing 2 teams. There would be a separate number for Edmonton (10). There's actually a very rare scenario where these numbers aren't accurate, but I'm not even going to get into that.

Right, they aren't. The whole magic number thing only works when comparing 2 teams. There would be a separate number for Edmonton (10). There's actually a very rare scenario where these numbers aren't accurate, but I'm not even going to get into that.

Yeah. I don't think I've ever looked at magic numbers from a losing standpoint. Lol.

Exactly my point, a split is ok. 2 losses would be ideal, but I will take a split. So as I wrote, tonight's game is huge for the stress factor associated with Monday's game. Exciting stuff!

Exactly my point, a split is ok. 2 losses would be ideal, but I will take a split. So as I wrote, tonight's game is huge for the stress factor associated with Monday's game. Exciting stuff!

I wish it was an actual home and home and there wasn't that game sandwiched in between. Arizona has one in between too. It's a strange bit of scheduling.

Except that you're an idiot! :lol:

I had to take a break from that board for a little while. I got sick of every single thread being the same exact fight between the same 3 or 4 people. This season could not end soon enough. It will be nice to actually have something to cheer for again.

Man, I want to root for the Sabres this year, and have the fan base all on the same page again. Loss tonight, loss Saturday, loss Monday(I think that is next Yotes game) this thing is wrapped up and we can relax.

Now 3 wins, and oh boy.

Man, I want to root for the Sabres this year, and have the fan base all on the same page again. Loss tonight, loss Saturday, loss Monday(I think that is next Yotes game) this thing is wrapped up and we can relax.

Now 3 wins, and oh boy.

Part of the reason I've found it "easier" to root against the Sabres is Nolan. I just don't like that guy, never have. The fact he's so blatantly doing everything possible to blow this for Buffalo reinforces my distaste.

Whether they win the McEichel derby or not, the best thing about the end of this season is the end of Nolan, and I can go about rooting for my team unabashedly going forward.

Part of the reason I've found it "easier" to root against the Sabres is Nolan. I just don't like that guy, never have. The fact he's so blatantly doing everything possible to blow this for Buffalo reinforces my distaste.

Whether they win the McEichel derby or not, the best thing about the end of this season is the end of Nolan, and I can go about rooting for my team unabashedly going forward.

I'm in that anti-Nolan camp as well. The guy doesn't go so long without an NHL job if he's a decent coach. What really gets me now though is the idea out there that 29th place is somehow some sort of badge of honor for him. It's not. No matter where they finish this year, he's going to hide in shame once he's fired.

Exactly!

I'm in that anti-Nolan camp as well. The guy doesn't go so long without an NHL job if he's a decent coach. What really gets me now though is the idea out there that 29th place is somehow some sort of badge of honor for him. It's not. No matter where they finish this year, he's going to hide in shame once he's fired.

Exactly...why not have some fun with it, so three years from now you can joke about "contributing" to the Sabres' success?

Exactly...why not have some fun with it, so three years from now you can joke about "contributing" to the Sabres' success?

His job is to win. I don't fault him for trying to win these last couple games. What I take issue with is how some seem to think that getting to 29th would be some form of vindication for him. Say what you will about the quality of the team, but there is no objective or subjective standard out there for which anything he has done qualifies as a success.

It's not about finishing 29th, it's about not losing your team. Finishing in last place is one thing, but having your players quit on you is an entirely different animal. If he starts sending out a lineup that doesn't give them the best chance to win, the players would pick up on it in a heartbeat. The guy's got a front office that is deliberately trying to lose and everyone knows it, yet the team is still going out and playing hard.

Most of the anger towards Nolan is misdirected. If you have an issue with Nolan from the past, that's fine, but blaming him for trying to win is silly. If the Sabres somehow wind up blowing this tank and finish 29th, the entirety of the blame will be on the shoulders of GMTM. He could have fired Nolan long ago and brought in some puppet to coach.

Now 3 wins, and oh boy.

Wrapped up and relax? Sure, if it was guaranteed that the worst team would get the #1 pick. Instead, all it does is give us the best chance out of what is generally a poor chance of getting the #1 pick. That's what sucks.

At this point I'd put money on the Sabres not getting the #1 pick regardless of what happens, but that's just the cynical **** side of me.

His job is to win. I don't fault him for trying to win these last couple games. What I take issue with is how some seem to think that getting to 29th would be some form of vindication for him. Say what you will about the quality of the team, but there is no objective or subjective standard out there for which anything he has done qualifies as a success.

Right, and I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be trying to "win" with the players out there. I take issue, like you, with his feigned "defiance" and bringing it up all the time. Just say, "we're trying to win with the players we have" and be done with it.

Wrapped up and relax? Sure, if it was guaranteed that the worst team would get the #1 pick. Instead, all it does is give us the best chance out of what is generally a poor chance of getting the #1 pick. That's what sucks.

At this point I'd put money on the Sabres not getting the #1 pick regardless of what happens, but that's just the cynical **** side of me.

Rubes, while McDavid is the crown jewel, Jack Eichel in any other year would be considered a savior. That's why finishing 30th is a must. The 2nd pick is perfectly fine this year.

But the way the lottery works it means we at least get the Jewish kid if we don't get McDavid.

i am worried that he seems to be a bit of a buzzer though and don't want to see a Johnny Football situation. Would rather win the lottery.