Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top prospect Jack Eichel recaps his 2015 NHL Combine with Steve Mears.

NHL Central Scouting's #2 overall North American skater Jack Eichel performs his Combine fitness testing in Buffalo.

@NHLAdamK

Jack Eichel dominates Combine fitness testing - http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=770088

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@BuffNewsVogl

Boston University teammate sees Jack Eichel leaving school for NHL: 'In his mind he's a pro' http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/06/06/college-teammate-sees-eichel-heading-to-nhl-in-his-mind-hes-a-pro/

Wow. This speaks volumes to me coming from an actual teammate. Especially that part about wanting to emulate Eichel's approach to things. Probably the best recommendation I've seen so far.

Combine Takeaways: Eichel will be a Buffalo icon (1:59)

Ryan Dixon - Sportnet.ca

The biggest achievement of Connor McDavid’s career might be making Jack Eichel look like a consolation prize. If the Massachusetts native were in any draft other than the Mc2015 version, we’d be talking about how long-suffering Buffalo fans were finally getting their savior. Eichel has an ease about him, the way the most natural of athletes — oh, what the heck, let’s use comparisons like Mario Lemieux and Guy Lafleur — do.

Craig Button recently opined that Eichel would be an easy #1 overall draft pick in EVERY NHL DRAFT SINCE CROSBY.

Just one man's opinion, and Button has plenty of detractors! But those on this board who don't closely follow hockey and think Eichel is somehow "not that good" because he is going to go #2 and not #1 need to re-evaluate the player.

Eichel indicated recently on WGR-550 that he was measured at 6'3" at the combine, and his body is much more developed than McDavid's at this point in their lives.

Eichel has a good build and will build up/fill out into a beast. Physicality is already a big part of his game and he knows how to use his body to protect the puck and maintain possession.

He is fast and loaded with natural athletic talent and a good skater.

Eichel is going to be a mainstay monster for the Sabres for a LONG time to come and has a solid chance at becoming the greatest skating Sabre of all time, or at least in the company of #11 and Patty LaLa. (leaving the Dominator out of this as he was a goaltender).

Don't get too caught up in bench press numbers at the combine.

Edited by Fadingpain

Craig Button recently opined that Eichel would be an easy #1 overall draft pick in EVERY NHL DRAFT SINCE CROSBY.

Just one man's opinion, and Button has plenty of detractors! But those on this board who don't closely follow hockey and think Eichel is somehow "not that good" because he is going to go #2 and not #1 need to re-evaluate the player.

Eichel indicated recently on WGR-550 that he was measured at 6'3" at the combine, and his body is much more developed than McDavid's at this point in their lives.

Eichel has a good build and will build up/fill out into a beast. Physicality is already a big part of his game and he knows how to use his body to protect the puck and maintain possession.

He is fast and loaded with natural athletic talent and a good skater.

Eichel is going to be a mainstay monster for the Sabres for a LONG time to come and has a solid chance at becoming the greatest skating Sabre of all time, or at least in the company of #11 and Patty LaLa. (leaving the Dominator out of this as he was a goaltender).

Don't get too caught up in bench press numbers at the combine.

Anyone who gets caught up in bench press numbers doesn't understand hockey. Patrick Kane couldn't bench press a bag of M&Ms 10 times and he's one of the best players in the world.

Hockey isn't football.

Anyone who gets caught up in bench press numbers doesn't understand hockey. Patrick Kane couldn't bench press a bag of M&Ms 10 times and he's one of the best players in the world.

Hockey isn't football.

but he can bench press a cab driver.

I'll be here all week!

So as a "generational talent", how does he compare to a guy like, say,Steve Stamkos?

They have some similarities in their games (heavy shot, great hands) but Eichel is very far ahead of where Stamkos was at the same age. Much bigger, better overall athlete, more physical, better skater, better ice vision and passing. Stamkos has obviously developed very well and is now a much more complete player, especially physically.

They have some similarities in their games (heavy shot, great hands) but Eichel is very far ahead of where Stamkos was at the same age. Much bigger, better overall athlete, more physical, better skater, better ice vision and passing. Stamkos has obviously developed very well and is now a much more complete player, especially physically.

And Stamkos didn't have anywhere near they hype that McDavid and Eichel have had going into this draft. This whole "generational talent" label seems to be a new term, but I don't think they would have applied it to him as he was entering the draft. With the way he has developed though, I think people would use it for the current 25 year old version of him.

@BNHarrington

Quick post: Eichel says Buffalo fans a factor in decision to turn pro vs. staying in school. #Sabres http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/06/08/eichel-buffalo-fans-a-factor-in-potential-decision-to-turn-pro-after-nhl-draft/

@NHL

The 2015 #NHLDraft top prospects will get a taste of the #StanleyCup Final tonight.

CG_kFPfXAAAQNUQ.jpg

@BNHarrington

We just finished about 18 minutes with Eichel here in Chicago. Some highlights coming up. #Sabres

CG_KBSHWgAANk5n.jpg

Eichel on Cup trip; "It's a huge privilege, a great event the NHL puts on. I couldn't be happier to be a part of it."

Eichel said his first real meeting with McDavid was a chance meeting just walking around outside HarborCenter (1/2)

"Just walking down the street, just bumped into each other shook hands and that was it." Said neither wanted to make a big deal about it.

Eichel said video work with Bylsma at Worlds was not much game footage there. It was a lot of viewing of Sidney Crosby. Uh-huh. #Sabres

Eichel on Bruins: "You don't have to hate the Bruins or any team. I grew up rooting for them. They'll always have a spot in my heart."

Eichel said he watched Boston's 2011 Cup win in Game Seven on his couch with his father. Memorable moment they shared.

Gotta love @wyshynski out-of-the-box ???s: Eichel said a hot dog is not a sandwich and he'd be on the PGA Tour or w/ #RedSox if not NHL

What would Eichel choose for a personal goal song? "Time Of Our Lives" by Pitbulll and Ne-Yo (and yes, I had to Google that).

Eichel went to Duff's: "I hear a lot about the Buffalo wings. They were really good." #Sabres

Eichel on turning pro: "I'd like to know what I'm doing this summer. Probably pretty quickly after the draft I'll finalize my decision."

Eichel on BU: "There's some unfinished business. It was definitely tough to lose the last game. It's one of the lures of coming back."

Eichel: "I'm always on Twitter and Instagram and that's where I kind of realized how crazy the Buffalo fans really were."

Eichel said reaction of fans at Combine impacts him. "Buffalo is a pretty good fit. It definitely factors in my decision." #Sabres

Eichel on uni numbers: "Can't wear 9, 11's retired. It's going to be a tough decision." So hold your wallets for now. #Sabres