Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could have been up this year but they returned him to juniors. But to answer what I think you're really wondering here, last year's draft was much weaker than this year.

Think about it this way. This year's draft is Andrew luck going first overall. Last year's was like EJ being the top available QB. That example is a bit extreme, but Reinhart is nowhere near the level of prospect as McEichel or McDavid.

That's not really accurate. Reinhart is going to be a very good player but he's still essentially a kid who just isn't physically ready for the size of the jump. He's a dominant player in Juniors, far more so than anything Manuel ever accomplished in college.

The NHL draft is very different and most years the top guys taken won't be NHL stars for 3 years or so. That's what makes the upcoming draft so unique. There's at least 2 guys at the top who are expected to be very, very good NHL players right out of the gate despite the fact that they're going to be 8 or more years from entering their athletic prime. They're also considered to have ceilings at the level of guys like Gretzky, Mario, etc.

Reinhart has a pretty high ceiling but it's asking an awful lot of an 18 year old to compete at the highest level of sport with guys 5-10 years older than they are. He's going to be a great player.

I love how we actually talk about them being ahead.

Only team that I see them beating is Columbus, and somehow we've seemed to have Toronto's number the past few seasons.

Columbus is way better than we are - they beat the Penguins last night and have underachieved pretty much all season due to injury.

Toronto is flat out terrible. A mentally weak team.

That's not really accurate. Reinhart is going to be a very good player but he's still essentially a kid who just isn't physically ready for the size of the jump. He's a dominant player in Juniors, far more so than anything Manuel ever accomplished in college.

The NHL draft is very different and most years the top guys taken won't be NHL stars for 3 years or so. That's what makes the upcoming draft so unique. There's at least 2 guys at the top who are expected to be very, very good NHL players right out of the gate despite the fact that they're going to be 8 or more years from entering their athletic prime. They're also considered to have ceilings at the level of guys like Gretzky, Mario, etc.

Reinhart has a pretty high ceiling but it's asking an awful lot of an 18 year old to compete at the highest level of sport with guys 5-10 years older than they are. He's going to be a great player.

I probably screwed myself over trying to go with the football analogy. Luck-McDavid actually seems like a pretty good one to me, but I'm not really sure on a good fit for Reinhart. Anyway, the main point is that no matter how good of a player he projects to be, Reinhart does not belong in the same sentence at this point as McDavid and Eichel. They are mega-prospects the likes of which we haven't seen in a very long time.

I don't like using Gretzky and Mario as the ceiling examples though. Those days are gone, that was a brand of hockey we will never see again. I know people don't like him all that much, but Crosby is the standard at this point and McDavid has been compared to him for many years already.

I probably screwed myself over trying to go with the football analogy. Luck-McDavid actually seems like a pretty good one to me, but I'm not really sure on a good fit for Reinhart. Anyway, the main point is that no matter how good of a player he projects to be, Reinhart does not belong in the same sentence at this point as McDavid and Eichel. They are mega-prospects the likes of which we haven't seen in a very long time.

I don't like using Gretzky and Mario as the ceiling examples though. Those days are gone, that was a brand of hockey we will never see again. I know people don't like him all that much, but Crosby is the standard at this point and McDavid has been compared to him for many years already.

Mostly because the talent of everyone in the game is so much higher now than back then (especially goalies and defensemen). Mario and Gretzky were amazing because literally about 5% of the guys in the league back then could make a roster now.

Everything about the game is better now, which is why there are whispers about larger goals and even smaller goalie gear. It's at the point now where it's almost impossible to score unless the goalie is either completely screened or the puck comes from or changes direction within 5 feet of the blue paint. I love watching the old footage where most defensemen were essentially pylons and a good percentage of goalies wouldn't start in a rec league today.

I know what you meant with your analogy but I don't want people who aren't die hards thinking Reinhardt isn't a stud - because he's going to be. The biggest problem this organization has had for a long time is not sucking enough. We finally seem to have gotten that part right.

Mostly because the talent of everyone in the game is so much higher now than back then (especially goalies and defensemen). Mario and Gretzky were amazing because literally about 5% of the guys in the league back then could make a roster now.

Everything about the game is better now, which is why there are whispers about larger goals and even smaller goalie gear. It's at the point now where it's almost impossible to score unless the goalie is either completely screened or the puck comes from or changes direction within 5 feet of the blue paint. I love watching the old footage where most defensemen were essentially pylons and a good percentage of goalies wouldn't start in a rec league today.

I know what you meant with your analogy but I don't want people who aren't die hards thinking Reinhardt isn't a stud - because he's going to be. The biggest problem this organization has had for a long time is not sucking enough. We finally seem to have gotten that part right.

It's always funny to watch old hockey highlights...and to not see the butterfly and 10ft pads. I watched that 30 for 30 on the 80 Russian team the other day...and your right AD, Craig would not be a good beer league goalie today. I know he was never a successful pro, but God he was awful!

Not happy we get a first time NHLer in goal for the Rangers tonight. I was counting this as a sure loss for the good guys...but a guy with the name Skapski in goal makes me nervous the Sabres might get a few through :wallbash::doh:

You know what gets me? Watch the Bush League NHL rig the lottery and have Toronto win the first pick... I guess they deserve it though, they are tanking and not even trying!

They are active tank now, just too little too late.

We should start a thread on " where do you want McDavid" ? ...assuming Sabres get last and get 2nd pick.

My gut is Edmonton, but then I not see him near as much if he would land on the East Coast.

Toronto would be good with me actually....rivalry can go up a notch.

I actually fear Boston right now. Typically, I would be rooting like crazy for them to miss the playoffs.

But with the "collective horseshoe up the ass luck "all Boston teams seem to have right now, you just know if they miss they are getting McDavid. I am actually rooting for them to get in and get swept first round. Them winning the lottery is my worst fear right now.

Edited by plenzmd1

We should start a thread on " where do you want McDavid" ? ...assuming Sabres get last and get 2nd pick.

My gut is Edmonton, but then I not see him near as much if he would land on the East Coast.

Toronto would be good with me actually....rivalry can go up a notch.

I actually wouldn't mind Toronto, would be a pretty cool cross-lake rivalry of McDavid & Eichel.

There are no restrictions for owning teams in the same city.

Correct. The NFL does not have any restrictions about owning an NHL team in the same city.

I don't know if it's an NHL or NFL restriction, but there was something blocking Pegula from buying Connor McDavid's current team, the Erie Otters, about a year ago