Who's Gonna be the Primary Slot Receiver in 2015?

Sammy, Woods, Harvin, and Hogan all work very well from the slot, so there's no reason to just play certain guys in certain spots (and yes, I'm putting Hogan as the #4, with Goodwin being #5 and brought in for homerun situations).

Sammy, Woods, Harvin, and Hogan all work very well from the slot, so there's no reason to just play certain guys in certain spots (and yes, I'm putting Hogan as the #4, with Goodwin being #5 and brought in for homerun situations).

Clay being in our top 4 receivers and 2 backs that can catch means unless you have a special dynamic (goodwin) it's unlikely you are stealing any snaps as a lunch pail player like hogan without injury.

It sounds like Percy Harvin is going to be used a lot more on the outside, so I'm wondering which wideout you all think will be the Bills' primary slot receiver this season?

every one.

the deeper question is when and why.

Expect the offense to be " adjusting" to the type of defenses.

Rex knows defenses. studies the schedule and reviews the Coaching trends etc.

My token point is.

Rex can teach his O coordinator and down to position coaching in how to beat defenses and why. so who lines up in the slot should be a chess piece defined by the defenses trends historically and game day.

I got a feeling about this guy Pegula brought in to run the O

This offense might be......

Edited by 3rdand12

Clay being in our top 4 receivers and 2 backs that can catch means unless you have a special dynamic (goodwin) it's unlikely you are stealing any snaps as a lunch pail player like hogan without injury.

The pre-season writing off of Hogan continues. Hogan will earn his playing time yet again. Why? Because he is more talented than most on here give him credit for and because he works his butt off.

The pre-season writing off of Hogan continues. Hogan will earn his playing time yet again. Why? Because he is more talented than most on here give him credit for and because he works his butt off.

He's at best our 5th option, even if you ask his mom. How many WRs do you think we will have on the field regularly?

If we put our top 4 (harvin, Sammy, woods and clay) and McCoy out there, hogan doesn't see the field. 3 with McCoy and a fb makes it an even longer shot.

That I'm not putting hogan over harvin or clay is pretty far from writing him off.

Edited by NoSaint

I find it funny that Hogan hearing Hogan described as a lunch pail type. He's really anything but. People underestimate his actual talent and ability as a WR, but I think what he has lacked so far is simply polish. And by all accounts he works very hard. He just hasn't played football that long. I'm not like a "Hogan is amazing" advocate, just pointing this out as I see it. I'm very happy to have him on this team and think he will play a solid role in this offense.

Think of going against teams that keep their two CBs on the same side of the field no matter what. We come out with McCoy in the backfield Clay tight on the line to the right, and woods split right. Harvin and Watkins are both split wide left, and off the line. Before the snap, Harvin steps up to the line and Clay drops back a step as a wing, and then Watkins goes in motion to the right. You will have a slot 3rd CB covering Watkins one on one.

Clay goes right down the seam in the middle. If the one safety remaining tried to cover Watkins, then Harvin is one on one on the entire left side of the field with no safety anywhere.

Think of going against teams that keep their two CBs on the same side of the field no matter what. We come out with McCoy in the backfield Clay tight on the line to the right, and woods split right. Harvin and Watkins are both split wide left, and off the line. Before the snap, Harvin steps up to the line and Clay drops back a step as a wing, and then Watkins goes in motion to the right. You will have a slot 3rd CB covering Watkins one on one.

Clay goes right down the seam in the middle. If the one safety remaining tried to cover Watkins, then Harvin is one on one on the entire left side of the field with no safety anywhere.

You probably would have done better than Hackett

Right, me saying that Hogan is #4 is just saying that for the WR group, not possession players period. I think he'll prove valuable in certain situations because of his versatility, toughness, hands, and crisp route running, and it's not like he's slow either, he's just not Goodwin. Goodwin has great hands and is fast, but is a bit sloppier on route running, and hasn't proven to be reliably healthy so far (maybe just bad luck, who knows), didn't really intend to turn it into a Goodwin/Hogan debate, just I feel like the top 4 WRs could easily play slot at any given time.

As in all things in life...it depends. I believe the last offense to keep a player in one spot was Marvin Harrison and Indy. The players will move all over the place.

How do you even define the slot? Is that a flex TE? Is it the third WR playing off the line? What about the bunch formations with two guys off the line?

A good offense can move guys around and runs all routes from every spot. Sammy can do a deep cross or out from the slot. Hogan a 7 yard curl on third down. Hopefully Clay can run up the seam from there.

I am not sure what the plans for Harvin are. I really don't know if he is a complete WR. If he is not, then where he lines up has little to do with how they will get him the ball. A WR screen is typically thrown to the outside WR who takes a step back while the "slot" WR blocks the DB. Harvin might line up in the backfield but run a short cross from there.

It should be fun if the line develops....