SCOTUS: Marriage Equality Ruling

Why should churches have a tax exemption?

True equality means an equal sharing of miseries.

This opinion of yours extends to charities and schools, I presume?

Can either of you make a case for taxing museums, hospitals, churches, schools, and charities that upends the longstanding reasoning against doing such a thing? I just got done getting lectured about how if the USSC says it, it must be a good argument, so take a look at Walz v. Tax Commission and get back to me.

Edited by LeviF91

Ah, I see. The feds can take over all aspects of our lives just by creating rules? Where in the Constitution does it give the feds any say in marriages? The feds are constitutionally granted certain specific powers and the remaining powers are left up to the state and local government. When and where is this schit going to stop? They're even now trying to stick their nose into local zoning, the phucktards.

So if certain tax laws/rules are designed to favor married couples why shouldn't same sex couple be allowed to marry and take advantage of these (federal) tax breaks?

So if certain tax laws/rules are designed to favor married couples why shouldn't same sex couple be allowed to marry and take advantage of these (federal) tax breaks?

They should be.

But until now, the federal government has always deferred to the states to determine who is and isn't married. Tax laws/rules aren't designed to favor "married couples," so much as they're designed to favor couples who can produce a valid state marriage license.

Or, in the case of common-law marriage, an affidavit by the couple and witnesses, notarized, that they meet the state qualifications for a common-law marriage. Of course, even though only a handful of states recognize common-law marriage (and many refuse to recognize other states' common-law marriages), that discrimination is still allowed.

Does that mean I can own slaves based on the Dred Scott decision?

Ask that Wes Anderson-obsessed weirdo over in the other thread. Made me want to drill holes in my his head.

Shouldn't you be asking instead why the tax laws favor married couples?

Shouldn't you be asking instead why the tax laws favor married couples?

You mean because there are people working really hard to unring that particular bell?

It's either a free country or it isn't. The zealots will still be able to discriminate based on whichever spaghetti monster they genuflect to (as it should be).