QBs That Shouldn't Be Blitzed...

This is a bunch of BS. If a team attempts to pressure a QB but they aren't very good at it, the QB can take advantage. However, if you have a front 7 like Buffalo, there isn't a QB in this league, you don't go after. In fact, if you are on a Rex Ryan coached defense, you blitz a lot and from many different angles and personel. Ryan has been doing that for years and has successfully gotten to QBs that typically are good at dealing with pressure. Watch what Robey does this year.

This defense is going to be sick this year. QBs are going to dread playing Buffalo.

Edited by Rockinon

Surprised I'm the first one in on this. Been posted before but appropo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmW0v_plIyA

Blitzers beware.

It's a lot of fun to watch him juke Houston out of his shoes.

I don't think that was even a blitz, though. Four DL rushing and LB came up to plug the gap. Houston read it perfectly, but still couldn't stop it.

This is a bunch of BS. If a team attempts to pressure a QB but they aren't very good at it, the QB can take advantage. However, if you have a front 7 like Buffalo, there isn't a QB in this league, you don't go after. In fact, if you are on a Rex Ryan coached defense, you blitz a lot and from many different angles and personel. Ryan has been doing that for years and has successfully gotten to QBs that typically are good at dealing with pressure. Watch what Robey does this year.

This defense is going to be sick this year. QBs are going to dread playing Buffalo.

Truth.

A less sarcastic fan ( :pirate: ) might've made the astute observation that you're better off sitting back in coverage on Drew Stanton since he struggles with it, whereas one thing he's good at is gettng the ball out quickly.

With regard to Manning, I've always felt that he could be blitzed a LOT more than most DCs allow themselves to.

Agreed that I'd like to see a more comprehensive breakdown...some of that is at least touched on in the article though:

"Offenses fare better against the blitz regardless of whether or not the pressure gets there. However, when the pass rush fails (i.e., the defense gets no pressure on the quarterback), offenses are only slightly better against the blitz. And while pressure from a standard rush is much tougher to beat, the -67.8% DVOA from blitz pressure (2,085 plays last season) is nothing to scoff at."

A more astute observer would have noted that Drew Stanton is a career backup QB and has 8 starts in the last 4 years and doesn't belong on any list of QBs to gameplan for.

Anyway, the most interesting line in this article has seems to have escaped notice here so far:

"The correlation between a team's offensive line continuity score and the pressure percentage their quarterback(s) saw was 0.01 in 2014. So while Seattle and Denver fans might fret about losing multiple O-line starters from 2014, that's highly unlikely to actually lead to increased pressure for Wilson or Manning. Unfortunately, if one or both happens to perform poorly under pressure in 2015, the consensus will likely chalk it up to offensive line turnover."

Feel free to discuss...

A more astute observer would have noted that Drew Stanton is a career backup QB and has 8 starts in the last 4 years and doesn't belong on any list of QBs to gameplan for.

Anyway, the most interesting line in this article has seems to have escaped notice here so far:

"The correlation between a team's offensive line continuity score and the pressure percentage their quarterback(s) saw was 0.01 in 2014. So while Seattle and Denver fans might fret about losing multiple O-line starters from 2014, that's highly unlikely to actually lead to increased pressure for Wilson or Manning. Unfortunately, if one or both happens to perform poorly under pressure in 2015, the consensus will likely chalk it up to offensive line turnover."

Feel free to discuss...

Stanton was included on the list because (a) he played an appreciable number of snaps last year, and (b) there's a marked difference in his performance when blitzed versus not.

As to your second point, that's one thing you and I appear to agree upon: way, way, way too much responsibility (in the eyes of the fans) goes on the OL for the QB's performance. IMO, they're almost always mutually exclusive. This is especially true when it comes to beating a blitz. The defense can always send one more than the offense is set up to block; it's the QB's job to beat the blitz. Always has been, and it always will be.

Stanton was included on the list because (a) he played an appreciable number of snaps last year, and (b) there's a marked difference in his performance when blitzed versus not.

As to your second point, that's one thing you and I appear to agree upon: way, way, way too much responsibility (in the eyes of the fans) goes on the OL for the QB's performance. IMO, they're almost always mutually exclusive. This is especially true when it comes to beating a blitz. The defense can always send one more than the offense is set up to block; it's the QB's job to beat the blitz. Always has been, and it always will be.

My point was that Stanton isn't going to start, so there is no reason to include him in a list of QBs who teams might adjust their D to play against.