QBs That Shouldn't Be Blitzed...

I always find it interesting when analysts say things like "you don't want to blitz [so-and-so], he's even better under pressure". Well, Football Outsiders has an analysis of that exact topic. Enjoy:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-pressure-plays-quarterbacks

From the article, the guys you really don't wan to blitz (as they are much more dangerous when blitzed):

Big Ben

Philip Rivers

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Nick Foles

Carson Palmer

Drew Stanton

On the other side, the guys that are normally quite good yet really suffer when pressured:

Tony Romo

Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco

Ryan Tannehill

Teddy Bridgewater

Feel free to discuss...

Wanna make this a Bills-related comparison?

2013 (With Pass Pressure)

Name - Yards/play, DVOA, Rank

Kaepernick - 3.8, -35.7, 6th

Cassel - 2.9, -56, 11th

Manuel - 2.6, -70.4, 18th

Safe to say that our QBs need to be better. That's already obvious.

/fruitless comparison

How many of the bad QBs do we play this year? That's a good question.

I've always thought Brady was dangerous when blitzed. The Giants frustrated him in those two SBs by rushing four.

That's supported by his rank of 12, I guess.

We don't play many great QBs this year, which should help.

Wanna make this a Bills-related comparison?

2013 (With Pass Pressure)

Name - Yards/play, DVOA, Rank

Kaepernick - 3.8, -35.7, 6th

Cassel - 2.9, -56, 11th

Manuel - 2.6, -70.4, 18th

Safe to say that our QBs need to be better. That's already obvious.

/fruitless comparison

How many of the bad QBs do we play this year? That's a good question.

As a sports fan, I love statistics, but at some point they just don't have much value. I think this is getting to that point.

As a sports fan, I love statistics, but at some point they just don't have much value. I think this is getting to that point.

Yeah. Like everything, you gotta consider that football is the ultimate team sport. There are a lot of factors in play and statistics never seem as valuable as they are in the other major sports.

For instance, I think a QB in a spread scheme (going 5 wide with an empty backfield more often) with good bail-out options is going to do better than if he was put in a more vertical scheme with less options. How good is his RB at blocking and catching?

So, it's tough to compare one to another. The most we can say is that we hope Roman can do for our QBs what he did for Smith and Kaep. He'll need to help them improve in this area just as much as in other areas.

I've always thought Brady was dangerous when blitzed. The Giants frustrated him in those two SBs by rushing four.

That's the key with Brady; he definitely get rattled when he gets hit, but if you need to send 5 or 6 guys to get to him, he's going to torch you.

Consistent pressure with 4 is the way to beat him.

That's the key with Brady; he definitely get rattled when he gets hit, but if you need to send 5 or 6 guys to get to him, he's going to torch you.

The hits are what matters against Brady. It also helps to confuse him. That his why he tends to struggle vs the Jets. Rex Ryan knows how to mix it up and still get home. Funny is that the BILLS probalitality score points against the Jets defense than the Pats. Go figure.

I always find it interesting when analysts say things like "you don't want to blitz [so-and-so], he's even better under pressure". Well, Football Outsiders has an analysis of that exact topic. Enjoy:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-pressure-plays-quarterbacks

From the article, the guys you really don't wan to blitz (as they are much more dangerous when blitzed):

Big Ben

Philip Rivers

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Nick Foles

Carson Palmer

Drew Stanton

On the other side, the guys that are normally quite good yet really suffer when pressured:

Tony Romo

Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco

Ryan Tannehill

Teddy Bridgewater

Feel free to discuss...

omg .

talk about broad subject matter.

so much context to be filtered and sorted.

but for natural hang in the pocket and shuffle talent i would say Big Ben and Flacco are proven commodities. If they are getting sacked its probably smart ones.

brady has some moves too. girlish but he can shake it for the boys a little.

yes yes it is.

and thats exactly what we are going to do. again and again.

but which four?

signed

Mr Ryan

this thing?

its on

Agree with Big Ben and Rivers. Both are very good sliding in the pocket and buying time. Not so sure about the others. Manning is probably the extreme. Either beats you deep or throws an interception.

I don't agree with others. I think the only way to beat Brady is to blitz early and often. Look what he did to Seattle with the dink and dunk crap. Patriots have few guys that can beat you deep.

I have never been sold on Ryan. Maybe he is better against the blitz - I won't argue. But I know he is not that good. Makes poor decisions a lot.

I expect that to change for Bridgewater as he gets acclimated to the game.

He was great under pressure in college.

I think you need to pressure the hell out of all rookie QBs, no matter what.

For better or worse, that's why I feel like he turns into a Vick type qb.

The key with Brady is confusion. You have to get there with 4, but it can't be the same four. He doesn't stand there making audibles at the line every play like Peyton Manning, but if he knows what you are showing him he will carve you up. You have to make him second guess you and confuse him. That was actually what the Giants did in those Superbowls, that was also how Kansas City demolished him last season (along with a horror show from his offensive line).

Being blitzed and being pressured are not the same thing. Some meaningful context about QB performance that comes to my mind:

1) Plays where the QB is hit or sacked.

2) When the pressure is "in his face" vs. from the edge.

3) Plays where a defender has an unabated path vs. just collapsing the pocket.

4) Performance when the blocking scheme against a blitz succeeds vs. when it fails.

5) Plays where only one block failed vs. ones with multiple failures.

Yeah, you don't want to blitz that Drew Stanton. He'll carve you up.....

Better off taking your chances on Peyton Manning!

A less sarcastic fan ( :pirate: ) might've made the astute observation that you're better off sitting back in coverage on Drew Stanton since he struggles with it, whereas one thing he's good at is gettng the ball out quickly.

With regard to Manning, I've always felt that he could be blitzed a LOT more than most DCs allow themselves to.

Being blitzed and being pressured are not the same thing. Some meaningful context about QB performance that comes to my mind:

1) Plays where the QB is hit or sacked.

2) When the pressure is "in his face" vs. from the edge.

3) Plays where a defender has an unabated path vs. just collapsing the pocket.

4) Performance when the blocking scheme against a blitz succeeds vs. when it fails.

5) Plays where only one block failed vs. ones with multiple failures.

Agreed that I'd like to see a more comprehensive breakdown...some of that is at least touched on in the article though:

"Offenses fare better against the blitz regardless of whether or not the pressure gets there. However, when the pass rush fails (i.e., the defense gets no pressure on the quarterback), offenses are only slightly better against the blitz. And while pressure from a standard rush is much tougher to beat, the -67.8% DVOA from blitz pressure (2,085 plays last season) is nothing to scoff at."

Big Ben

Philip Rivers

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Nick Foles

Carson Palmer

Drew Stanton

Tony Romo

Peyton Manning

Joe Flacco

Ryan Tannehill

Teddy Bridgewater

Feel free to discuss...

Brady is not on either list?