Best pizza in the States...Poojer?

Beerball

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

friends of mine in rochester swear by pontillos..or at least they used to, not sure if it's still around.

Its still around. Theres a bunch of them and every one is different. Bushnell's Basin is my favorite of their locations.

In Rochester hit Pizza Stop and Brooklyn Joe's for NYC style, Nino's for sicilian and foccacia pies, Chester Cab for Chicago style stuffed, and Fiamma for Neapolitan pizza. If you've been to those places and ordered correctly and still hold the opinion that Rochester pizza sucks then you just don't like pizza.

friends of mine in rochester swear by pontillos..or at least they used to, not sure if it's still around.

tis not many and they are all different

Its still around. Theres a bunch of them and every one is different. Bushnell's Basin is my favorite of their locations.

In Rochester hit Pizza Stop and Brooklyn Joe's for NYC style, Nino's for sicilian and foccacia pies, Chester Cab for Chicago style stuffed, and Fiamma for Neapolitan pizza. If you've been to those places and ordered correctly and still hold the opinion that Rochester pizza sucks then you just don't like pizza.

wait what the hell is going on!!

bushnells had

The best steak sub back in the early 80s when i was plowing snow

I tried Bon Appetites recommendation of spreading mayonaisse on the outside of the bread for making a grilled cheese. I would never do that again.

its miracle whip and it goes on the inside with sliced cheddar to be done correctly

Rochester and LA disagree with you. Awful pizza.

pfffts

It's frickin' pizza. There are great places everywhere.

Few and far between in every city. Truly great pizza is hard to find.

Agreed. Bocce, La Nova, and Good Guys are all within 10 miles from my house. All are fantastic.

Never had good guys, dislike Bocce, LaNova < Little Ceasars. That's right, rather have that $5 disc of crappola than have a La Nova pie ever again.

I'm wanting a slice of chicago style deep dish. Real deal. it's actually a PIE.

Wellll.....most of philadelphia is dirty compared to manhattan, say. But it's nicer than DC.

I don't even no what to say...Deep dish is not pizza....and DC is the city all cities aspire to be.

I'm sure finding edible pizza in 98% of Texas is impossible. But major cities like Dallas, Houston and Austin? Like I said about L.A., someone must know how to make a decent pizza in those places. If not, I know where I'm moving to.

I think foodee types get hung up on finding the best whatever, as if one dish can be better than any other dish on Earth. In reality, great food is a threshold. If something pushes all your buttons (taste, texture, aroma) then it's great all on it's own.

Like I said, living in Austin, the pizza landscape has improved...but I would still take my 3rd or 4th favorite pie in Buffalo, over the best in Austin. I guess I am not a foodie so much...to me, pizza is cheese, pepperoni...when you start getting into gourmet pizza, it isn't my idea of pizza. The best places here all tend to be of the "NY style" (thin crust, greasy)...not terrible, but not Casi de Pizza or LaNova... can't wait to get my fix when I go back in a few weeks for the Stones show... :thumbsup:

very valid point...i would still take a Pavones Pizza from the old PennCan Mall in Syracuse over most other pizzas, it was a thin slice with decent sauce, furthest thing in the world from gourmet pizza, but man oh man, I loved that pizza. That said I do like the gourmet style pizzas on occassion.

Like I said, living in Austin, the pizza landscape has improved...but I would still take my 3rd or 4th favorite pie in Buffalo, over the best in Austin. I guess I am not a foodie so much...to me, pizza is cheese, pepperoni...when you start getting into gourmet pizza, it isn't my idea of pizza. The best places here all tend to be of the "NY style" (thin crust, greasy)...not terrible, but not Casi de Pizza or LaNova... can't wait to get my fix when I go back in a few weeks for the Stones show... :thumbsup:

Agreed. Still trying to work off my "freshman 15" from moving here 18 months ago . . .

I love all the BYOB places...plus good friend and former Boss for 5 years was Vetri's college roommate and still great friends ....always have a table one of his joints!

Never had good guys, dislike Bocce, LaNova < Little Ceasars. That's right, rather have that $5 disc of crappola than have a La Nova pie ever again.

Good Guys is a small take-out place in North Tonawanda. The owners are ex-managers of Pizza Junction so it's similar but better IMO. Their blue cheese is the best too.

I've never really heard anyone dislike Bocce, but to each his own.

I always forget you're a Rochester guy. The Basin is where I go when I'm in town. Pontillos is pretty tasty.

I always forget you're a Rochester guy. The Basin is where I go when I'm in town. Pontillos is pretty tasty.

Try Tony D's on Exchange. You won't regret it.

Pontillos is pretty good too. I know it was probably because I was hammered on Monroe Ave, but I always enjoyed the pizza at Acme.

BTW, new chain popping up called Pie Five. All personal size pizzas, with 3 different crust options, and loads of choices how you want your pie. Crazy oven that cooks the pizza in like 2 minutes. Very good for a pizza in less than 5 minutes.

Think these are going to be all over soon. I investigated franchise, but they are only looking for someone who has owned a food franchise previously.

http://www.piefivepizza.com

i am very leery of these flash cook places...just because you can cook something fast doesn't mean you should...flavors change with cooking, i don't think you get the full flavors when you rush things.

BTW, new chain popping up called Pie Five. All personal size pizzas, with 3 different crust options, and loads of choices how you want your pie. Crazy oven that cooks the pizza in like 2 minutes. Very good for a pizza in less than 5 minutes.

Think these are going to be all over soon. I investigated franchise, but they are only looking for someone who has owned a food franchise previously.

http://www.piefivepizza.com

Tall order to uphold the claim of best Pizza. I can agree that there stratification of what is available is appropriate but "the best" is going to include a range. If nothing else, there are different styles and ingredients that must be accounted for.

i am very leery of these flash cook places...just because you can cook something fast doesn't mean you should...flavors change with cooking, i don't think you get the full flavors when you rush things.

Pooj, the chit is good! How to believe, but I am telling you, best pie by far in richmond.

It's hard to say which is the best because whenever I have a great one I feel like that one is the best, but I think my favorite is Frank Pepe's in New Haven, CT.

I was at Pepe's a few weeks ago; so damn good. If not the absolute best, it's right up there.