US Open...Golf on Fox

plenzmd1

Fox coverage is awful. From the awful music intro/outro's to them missing shots while they show the announcers patting each other on the back for making awful jokes. This to me just seems like an attempt to bring the NASCAR demographic to golf and it is brutal.

i watched on usga.com since i cancelled direct tv. coverage was very good. i'm sure the video feeds were the same but there were 3 option: 360 view, featured group and featured holes. the commentators were 2 pros and a color guy. all pretty good x the female pro had an irritating voice. they were set up on the driving range and had a teaching pro showing how to make some of the shots the leaders had to make eg knock down long irons, tight lie chips... pretty good stuff.

only bad thing was that coverage ended at 9pm and i had to read updates on the guardian site. almost glad i missed the meltdown but guess i need an antenna for local tv.

that was one ugly golf course. the poa on the greens was atrocious. usga lost some cred with this tourney but it did accomplish the goal of flushing the cream to the top. i just wonder how much 2 speed greens (poa and fescue) played in the final outcome.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness that is over. USGA / PGA, please don't let Fox broadcast any more golf.

....EVER...

Unfortunately, Fox's contract with the USGA is at least 10 years...so this won't end any time soon.

i watched on usga.com since i cancelled direct tv. coverage was very good. i'm sure the video feeds were the same but there were 3 option: 360 view, featured group and featured holes. the commentators were 2 pros and a color guy. all pretty good x the female pro had an irritating voice. they were set up on the driving range and had a teaching pro showing how to make some of the shots the leaders had to make eg knock down long irons, tight lie chips... pretty good stuff.

only bad thing was that coverage ended at 9pm and i had to read updates on the guardian site. almost glad i missed the meltdown but guess i need an antenna for local tv.

that was one ugly golf course. the poa on the greens was atrocious. usga lost some cred with this tourney but it did accomplish the goal of flushing the cream to the top. i just wonder how much 2 speed greens (poa and fescue) played in the final outcome.

I might have to try watching online as well if Fox stays like that. The greens were crazy. Gary Player said the whole course might have been the worst he'd ever seen. I know a lot of people don't like the players complaining about it, but they seem to have a gripe in my mind. They basically took guys who make up for weaknesses in other skills by putting well out of contention entirely. The meltdown was tough to watch.

I might have to try watching online as well if Fox stays like that. The greens were crazy. Gary Player said the whole course might have been the worst he'd ever seen. I know a lot of people don't like the players complaining about it, but they seem to have a gripe in my mind. They basically took guys who make up for weaknesses in other skills by putting well out of contention entirely. The meltdown was tough to watch.

i play a course with this weed on the greens. to me, it's not a big deal but to an excellent, pofessional putter it is. if you put in 12 footers routinely, it's a big deal.

Judging by the final.round contenders and the winner I think the course did its job identifying the best players in the world.

Unfortunately, Fox's contract with the USGA is at least 10 years...so this won't end any time soon.

Ugh.. My problem with the Fox broadcast is that this week was their first telecast and on the grand stage of the US Open.

Fox should have practiced on, say, The Valero Open or some such other event.

Johnson tapped in for par and a 2nd place finish. Hardly a "meltdown". Go look at Phil's US Open history if you need refreshers on what a meltdown looks like. Yeah, Johnson had a very makeable putt to force a playoff but based on what we saw through 72 holes, there weren't too many gimmes on that course. Spieth missed an easier putt minutes before and got a double bogey. Everybody was missing reads out there.

Johnson tapped in for par and a 2nd place finish. Hardly a "meltdown". Go look at Phil's US Open history if you need refreshers on what a meltdown looks like. Yeah, Johnson had a very makeable putt to force a playoff but based on what we saw through 72 holes, there weren't too many gimmes on that course. Spieth missed an easier putt minutes before and got a double bogey. Everybody was missing reads out there.

he made 3 bogeys on the final 9 and 3 putted from 12 feet on 18. as i recall he missed several putts inside 10 feet on the final 9. you don't win majors that way. i'd call it a meltdown but if not, it's definitely not champion level play.

Ugh.. My problem with the Fox broadcast is that this week was their first telecast and on the grand stage of the US Open.

Fox should have practiced on, say, The Valero Open or some such other event.

Hey now, don't mess up the Valero Open for me! I just played TPC San Antonio yesterday, great course, tough as all hell. The last 4 holes are some of my favorite holes in golf.

he made 3 bogeys on the final 9 and 3 putted from 12 feet on 18. as i recall he missed several putts inside 10 feet on the final 9. you don't win majors that way. i'd call it a meltdown but if not, it's definitely not champion level play.

Yet he played one stroke worse than Spieth on Sunday. I guess its a very slim line between championship level play and meltdown.

Yet he played one stroke worse than Spieth on Sunday. I guess its a very slim line between championship level play and meltdown.

No matter it was great theatre...and I guess great theatre has both tragedy and triumph, which it did. That spieth ... even given his stumbles and temper....just has that "It factor" about him. British open will be interesting and this is one time the US Open course will be good preparation for it

he birdied 18 after doubling 17. he made the big shots when the pressure was on. and he was consistently excellent the rest of the time. that wins championships. that's the difference. it's not like this was dj's 1st rodeo either.

he birdied 18 after doubling 17. he made the big shots when the pressure was on. and he was consistently excellent the rest of the time. that wins championships. that's the difference. it's not like this was dj's 1st rodeo either.

I'm aware of the difference. Its not my fault that choose your words poorly and then back up your arguments even worse.

so yeah. it's a slim line but a finite and definite one.

Thus Championship golf and meltdown are pretty poor words used to describe Spieth's and Johnson's respective performances given a one stroke margin and considering they were tied through 17 holes.

I know you're glad you didn't get to see the finale, but maybe you should watch the last few holes before continuing this asinine argument.

Edited by Jauronimo