Matt Flynn signs with Pats*, update - Cut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, like equating a search for a third string QB is equivalent to a search for a bona fide starter.

So who is the bona fide starter we missed out on? I keep asking and you never say. Also saying we should draft every QB the last six years doesn't make you a player personnel expert when one clicks.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was being sarcastic ;-) I remember the Bills had him during 2013 and he didn't even show enough to be kept on squad.

they signed him last year and he didn't beat out Tuel

Flynn set or tied some Packer's records by throwing for 480+ yards and 6 touchdowns in one against the Lions a few years back. We should get him.

So who is the bona fide starter we missed out on? I keep asking and you never say. Also saying we should draft every QB the last six years doesn't make you a player personnel expert when one clicks.

Stop rewording the discussion. Bills missed out on every single QB from the 2014 draft, save Bortles. My position was, and continues to be that every QB taken from Manziel to Mettenberger was better than Lewis, Dixon & Tuel, and many can argue are better than EJ.

There can be a healthy debate whether Bills should have traded for Watkins or taken the best available QB at 9, or maybe taken Garopalo in the 2nd round. But it's a stupid point to argue that the Bills nailed the 4th round CB who won't be on the squad past this summer, instead of taking Murray, McCarron or Mettenberger in that spot

And that's the crux of the issue. Bills sit on the sidelines during deep QB years and pounce on the position in the weak ones.

Stop rewording the discussion. Bills missed out on every single QB from the 2014 draft, save Bortles. My position was, and continues to be that every QB taken from Manziel to Mettenberger was better than Lewis, Dixon & Tuel, and many can argue are better than EJ.

There can be a healthy debate whether Bills should have traded for Watkins or taken the best available QB at 9, or maybe taken Garopalo in the 2nd round. But it's a stupid point to argue that the Bills nailed the 4th round CB who won't be on the squad past this summer, instead of taking Murray, McCarron or Mettenberger in that spot

And that's the crux of the issue. Bills sit on the sidelines during deep QB years and pounce on the position in the weak ones.

Better? Perhaps. Franchise? No. Which means we would still be having the same argument. Which means your take is pointless because it doesn't solve the problem. Want proof? Remember FItz's numbers? Everyone said he was the worst QB in the NFL and we had to get rid of him. Today, most crave to have someone as good as Fitz. It's all reletive, but there is one constant: Until you get a hall of famer (and maybe even then) people will still complain and wish for better.

I was a fan of Mettenberger because I thought he was the only one with a chance to be a starter in this league, even though it was a small one. I still would not rather have Murray or McCarron over a 4th round CB who may not make the team this year.

Tuel was the big mistake. And getting a Mettenberger to replace him as the development guy could easily be second guessed. Lewis did not look bad in 2013 and there was no reason to believe he would regress like he did.

This is always the question of the day and it never gets answered. By taking EJ, did the Bills really miss out on Geno Smith or Matt Barkley? How about Brandon Weedon, Brock Osweiler, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder? What about Garrett Grayson or Sean Mannion this year? Sorry, but I'm just not buying it. At the end of the day, the opportunity really hasn't been there in the draft. Putting that aside, who's the free agent we missed on? The reality is that in the last 5 years or so, there hasn't been a "can't miss" guy for Buffalo to go after. If a Phillip Rivers hits the market, we would have something to talk about. He isn't though, so it's just a pipe dream. There's certainly journeymen that have found their way from one team to another (Foles & Bradford), but I wouldn't say either of those guys would be any better answer than what we have.

Better? Perhaps. Franchise? No. Which means we would still be having the same argument. Which means your take is pointless because it doesn't solve the problem. Want proof? Remember FItz's numbers? Everyone said he was the worst QB in the NFL and we had to get rid of him. Today, most crave to have someone as good as Fitz. It's all reletive, but there is one constant: Until you get a hall of famer (and maybe even then) people will still complain and wish for better.

Again blaming the fans. The fans aren't the ones making the football decisions, and most of the fans follow the talking points from the front office. So when the out of his league GM suddenly proclaims in August that the tea doesn't have a franchise QB and his goal is to find one in the draft, then it blows up any kind of fan support and negotiating power that out of his league GM will have in the spring.

As for the 2014 prospects, at least 4 have that potential, while Bills don't have a single guy who can solidify a even caretaker role.

This is always the question of the day and it never gets answered. By taking EJ, did the Bills really miss out on Geno Smith or Matt Barkley? How about Brandon Weedon, Brock Osweiler, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder? What about Garrett Grayson or Sean Mannion this year? Sorry, but I'm just not buying it. At the end of the day, the opportunity really hasn't been there in the draft. Putting that aside, who's the free agent we missed on? The reality is that in the last 5 years or so, there hasn't been a "can't miss" guy for Buffalo to go after. If a Phillip Rivers hits the market, we would have something to talk about. He isn't though, so it's just a pipe dream. There's certainly journeymen that have found their way from one team to another (Foles & Bradford), but I wouldn't say either of those guys would be any better answer than what we have.

You wouldn't say Foles is better than the guys failing to compete with Matt Cassel?

Edited by FireChan

I was a fan of Mettenberger because I thought he was the only one with a chance to be a starter in this league, even though it was a small one. I still would not rather have Murray or McCarron over a 4th round CB who may not make the team this year.

Tuel was the big mistake. And getting a Mettenberger to replace him as the development guy could easily be second guessed. Lewis did not look bad in 2013 and there was no reason to believe he would regress like he did.

If you were Whaley, and KC or Cincy are offering McCarron or Murray straight up for Cockrell, how long do you take to say yes?

You wouldn't say Foles is better than the guys failing to compete with Matt Cassel?

Foles was mediocre last year at best. You can point to the year before that, but you would be making a huge assumptions that he's going to look like that going forward. Even with that, you're looking at inflated numbers due to the fact he was operating in Chip Kelly's pass happy offense. So based on last year, I would say exactly that. Foles isn't a measurable improvement at all. Even putting all that aside, you're not being at all realistic in terms of his availability. The Eagles were looking for a signal caller to be the starter when they put Foles on the market. What is it you think the Bills could have offered them that would have been more enticing than Bradford? I'm not buying into the possibility of getting Foles as anything more than a Madden game pipe dream. As far as your 2014 draft guys, they've all been just as terrible. Mettenburger is a hot steaming pile of garbage.

Years. EJ and Taylor have 1000% chance of becoming an NFL starter than those two, and EJ and Taylor aren't very good.

You would say the same about EJ & Tyrod if they were behind Dalton & Smith

You would say the same about EJ & Tyrod if they were behind Dalton & Smith

I don't understand the question. I don't think now, nor did I before the draft, that Murray or McCarron had very much chance at all at becoming an NFL starter so I would never have drafted them even knowing the Bills situation. I did think they were better than Tuel but not enough to waste a #4 on either of them. I did think Mettenberger had a slight chance, and slightly less than EJ or Taylor.

I don't understand the question. I don't think now, nor did I before the draft, that Murray or McCarron had very much chance at all at becoming an NFL starter so I would never have drafted them even knowing the Bills situation. I did think they were better than Tuel but not enough to waste a #4 on either of them. I did think Mettenberger had a slight chance, and slightly less than EJ or Taylor.

If Murray didn't hurt his knee, he'd definitely go earlier and he certainly has a shot at starting at some point. Same with McCarron.