Matt Flynn signs with Pats*, update - Cut

Maybe we should trade Meh Cassel to them for decent compensation. I realize we lose the vet presence but this may be one time where we may be able to fleece the Pats* as Cassell should know their 'system'. He isnt really shining in TC for us anyway.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smokes, how desperate are the Pats**? Did anyone see Lindley in the Cards playoff game last year? Anyone complaining about Whaley not getting us a franchise QB should consider this move by the Pats**. If Lindley is the best of what is out there, what are the Bills supposed to do?

How are the two situations even remotely similar?

That was back when the NFL was in full CYA mode with the Pats**. Gotta protect the shield. Can't have people thinking it's premiere franchise got that way by cheating.

First thing I thought.

Edit: Just saw the other signing.

Edited by Dorkington

There's this thing called a draft.

Yes, where there are ALSO very few franchise QBs available. Seriously, outside of Wilson and Luck and maybe Newton (the latter two were never options for the Bills to begin with) how many QBs did the Bills exactly "miss out on" in the draft in the last few years? Maybe Tannehill is a real-deal solid QB, but if he is not anything more than middle-of-the-road, he's about to take up an inordinate amount of the Dolphins' cap space in relation to his skill -- and I'm glad we didn't trade up in order to get him (particularly considering we'd probably have benched him after his first four starts this year anyway -- he was as bad, if not worse than EJ) instead of a (hopefully -- ok, he's still got a lot to prove) shutdown CB, something which might be even more important to surviving in a QB-driven league.

People tend to act like the league is full of team-transforming QBs and the Bills are negligent for missing out on them, when the actual number is really in the single digits. Yes, they should have drafted Wilson instead of TJ Graham -- but so should have every other team who is still in QB hell. Jacksonville took a punter instead of Wilson that year fercrissake.

Yes, where there are ALSO very few franchise QBs available. Seriously, outside of Wilson and Luck and maybe Newton (the latter two were never options for the Bills to begin with) how many QBs did the Bills exactly "miss out on" in the draft in the last few years? Maybe Tannehill is a real-deal solid QB, but if he is not anything more than middle-of-the-road, he's about to take up an inordinate amount of the Dolphins' cap space in relation to his skill -- and I'm glad we didn't trade up in order to get him (particularly considering we'd probably have benched him after his first four starts this year anyway -- he was as bad, if not worse than EJ) instead of a (hopefully -- ok, he's still got a lot to prove) shutdown CB, something which might be even more important to surviving in a QB-driven league.

People tend to act like the league is full of team-transforming QBs and the Bills are negligent for missing out on them, when the actual number is really in the single digits. Yes, they should have drafted Wilson instead of TJ Graham -- but so should have every other team who is still in QB hell. Jacksonville took a punter instead of Wilson that year fercrissake.

Tanny is costing them $4M and $11M against the cap the next two years. The horror.

Bridgewater.

No one is acting like the league is full of anything. Actually, in this thread someone is acting like the Pats signing Ryan Lindley on August 10th means the Bills have devoted enough resources to finding a QB.

Holy smokes, how desperate are the Pats**? Did anyone see Lindley in the Cards playoff game last year? Anyone complaining about Whaley not getting us a franchise QB should consider this move by the Pats**. If Lindley is the best of what is out there, what are the Bills supposed to do?

Good point, Promo.

I think we all looked around earlier this off-season and realized the shelves in the grocery store were bare. The best we could find was Cassel. The best the Pats could find was Lindley.

Maybe someone interesting will become available later as teams cut down and the shelves get restocked a bit.

Or maybe Doug needs to go downtown to the Buffalo Medical Campus and talk to someone about somatic cell nuclear transfer. If Whaley can't find a QB, we should demand he manufactures one. Kelly would probably donate his genes.

Tanny is costing them $4M and $11M against the cap the next two years. The horror.

Bridgewater.

No one is acting like the league is full of anything. Actually, in this thread someone is acting like the Pats signing Ryan Lindley on August 10th means the Bills have devoted enough resources to finding a QB.

We were supposed to draft Bridgewater after EJ looked like he was the right path in his rookie season?

Because folks demand we do something about our QB situation and all that's left is Ryan Lindley and Matt Flynn with a bum hammy.

Yeah, like equating a search for a third string QB is equivalent to a search for a bona fide starter.

On the right path by looking like black Jake Locker?

No analyst called for us to take a QB from what I can find:

2014 Mocks

NFL.com - Ebron (TE)

Walter - Lewan (OT)

MMQB SI - Lewan (OT)

USA Today - Lewan (OT)

Kiper - Matthews (OT)

Draftek - Matthews (OT)

SBNation - Robinson (OT - via trade up)

That tells me the consensus was that the Bills and most analysts thought EJ showed enough to fill other areas of weakness on the team. It appears only you were smart enough to draft Bridgewater (which I'm assuming you can show us an unedited post calling for him to be drafted leading up to the 2014 draft?).

No analyst called for us to take a QB from what I can find:

2014 Mocks

NFL.com - Ebron (TE)

Walter - Lewan (OT)

MMQB SI - Lewan (OT)

USA Today - Lewan (OT)

Kiper - Matthews (OT)

Draftek - Matthews (OT)

SBNation - Robinson (OT - via trade up)

That tells me the consensus was that the Bills and most analysts thought EJ showed enough to fill other areas of weakness on the team. It appears only you were smart enough to draft Bridgewater (which I'm assuming you can show us an unedited post calling for him to be drafted leading up to the 2014 draft?).

I wanted another QB leading up to the 2014 draft.

Those analysts are the same ones who get blasted when they mail in a story ripped from the Syracuse Chronicle? Or get half their predictions wrong?

Edited by FireChan

I wanted another QB leading up to the 2014 draft.

Those analysts are the same ones who get blasted when they mail in a story ripped from the Syracuse Chronicle? Or get half their predictions wrong?

You were off the Teddy bandwagon after he had a bad pro-day

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/166672-johnny-manziel-thread/?p=3092339

You also, from what I am seeing were calling for Manziel mostly. Good work.

Is Johnny a QB or not?

Being wrong about how Teddy would be as a pro does not mean I didn't want to add another QB. I'm not a scout, I can get career trajectories wrong. I can also fault not attempting anything.

Edited by FireChan

There's this thing called a draft.

Bridgewater.

Is Johnny a QB or not?

You're a joke, and I think I'm done responding to you.

You're a joke, and I think I'm done responding to you.

Are you kidding?

Bridgewater looks to be the best QB from the 2014 draft. The Bills "missed-out" on him. My personal opinion of him leading up to the draft is irrelevant.

Edited by FireChan

Are you kidding?

Bridgewater looks to be the best QB from the 2014 draft. The Bills "missed-out" on him. My personal opinion of him leading up to the draft is irrelevant.

Not going to undersell Bridgewater, but I am interested to see if Carr steps up a bit more with his shiny new weapons too.