Darwin Award: man dies inside of locked Corvette

boyst

Wow.

How do you not try to kick out a window?

CBF

The story mentions first responders who eventually had to break a window. I wonder how late they got to the scene because I can't imagine fire fighters letting this thing get so far a long before breaking a window.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is maybe he was getting hot and drowsy and he thought he had time and other options before trying to bust out a window. So he sort of said to himself I'll just close my eyes for a minute...and that was the end of it.

Heat stroke is really hard to judge. You actually start to feel better right before it kills you.

...and a corvette window is really expensive... but no excuse for not being able to read a manual.

Add in the fact that he left his phone inside the waffle house and this could be the plot of a poorly written student film.

Sounds like the Darwin Award should be given to the ever-vigilant GM engineers. Who TF designs a door lock that doesn't have an easy mechanical override?

Honestly....where is your manual over ride button for your locks?

Honestly....where is your manual over ride button for your locks?

Right next to the door release latch (never mind that the door opens if I pull the latch anyway even if the lock is engaged and the car stopped)

Could be part of the reason Japanese have been kicking Big 3's butts for decades?

Sounds like the Darwin Award should be given to the ever-vigilant GM engineers. Who TF designs a door lock that doesn't have an easy mechanical override?

There is one on the floor right there.

The list of reasons that you never hear about this happening is long. It's a very strange situation here. Allegedly found with the manual out but I guess he couldn't locate the info.

There is one on the floor right there.

The list of reasons that you never hear about this happening is long. It's a very strange situation here. Allegedly found with the manual out but I guess he couldn't locate the info.

Yes, I saw that, and that's why I mentioned the easy mechanical override. Doesn't get simpler than the override right on the latch, as opposed to fumbling somewhere under the seat.

It goes back to the crazy crap that Big 3 justified in their designs forever. How long did it take them to lose the double keys?

That is such a weird design flaw. You should just be able to flick the lock open with your finger...

No. Then a thief can go in with a hanger or something. Probably in the design like that, that's what the manual release is for. A little too late to study your vehicle when you are knee deep into a situation. That really should happen the first week you own it.

Light bulb moment:

"Oh, what's that little thing on the floor for?"

Unless he's been watching too much Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd:

How fitting... "Never push the wed button!"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1793b_elmer-fudd-design-for-leaving_shortfilms