Bankrate.com: Buffalo 4th worst city to retire to

I'm not surprised by the tax issue and weather but was very surprised about the violent crime. I think that's a BS reason. The crime would only be an issue if you lived in the city and the heading mentioned Buffalo and outside areas.

Regarding Oakland seeing I live there and plan to retire in less than ten years I most likely not retire here. Sure it's beginning to get expensive. Our home has increased in value over 50% in 3 years but our mortgage has actually gone down. Crime of course is an issue but only home break ins by us seeind we're up in the hills. We were broken in to but we've since taken lots of precautions to reduce that happening again. I really like where we live but the turnoff is not Oakland as much as it is California in general. Taxes are very high and the general costs if living make it difficult on a fixed income. Finding a state with no income taxes saves you 10% right there. And because property values are so high property taxes are high. BTW property taxes in NY are insane!

I'm not surprised by the tax issue and weather but was very surprised about the violent crime. I think that's a BS reason. The crime would only be an issue if you lived in the city and the heading mentioned Buffalo and outside areas.

Regarding Oakland seeing I live there and plan to retire in less than ten years I most likely not retire here. Sure it's beginning to get expensive. Our home has increased in value over 50% in 3 years but our mortgage has actually gone down. Crime of course is an issue but only home break ins by us seeind we're up in the hills. We were broken in to but we've since taken lots of precautions to reduce that happening again. I really like where we live but the turnoff is not Oakland as much as it is California in general. Taxes are very high and the general costs if living make it difficult on a fixed income. Finding a state with no income taxes saves you 10% right there. And because property values are so high property taxes are high. BTW property taxes in NY are insane!

Which states have no personal income tax?

Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income. To see how other states compare, check out the Federation of Tax Administrators' listing of individual income tax rates.

http://www.govspot.com/know/incometax.htm

Which states have no personal income tax?

Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income. To see how other states compare, check out the Federation of Tax Administrators' listing of individual income tax rates.

http://www.govspot.com/know/incometax.htm

The states that have no personal income tax are those you mentioned. I assumed it was obvious I was rederring to state income tax.

I left in 1970 for better job opportunities. When I left, BUF still had a solid industrial base, but now, that's mostly gone. A lot of people left before and, maybe more after me, for the same reasons. So now, I hope to retire in early 2016, and would not move back because of the NYS taxes.

Along the way, I have lived in Texas for 4 years and Washington State for 20+. They have no State Income Tax BUT, they get it in so many other ways; car taxes, sales taxes, property taxes etc., that I don't see the lack of a State Income Tax as a big incentive when considering a move.

I always see the NYS IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS ads on TV. They may be open for business, but not for individuals. So BUF takes it's knocks in the article but if you look at the cities that are "good" places to retire, I'm not attracted to very much there either. Guess I'll stay in Virginia! :( .

I left in 1970 for better job opportunities. When I left, BUF still had a solid industrial base, but now, that's mostly gone. A lot of people left before and, maybe more after me, for the same reasons. So now, I hope to retire in early 2016, and would not move back because of the NYS taxes.

Along the way, I have lived in Texas for 4 years and Washington State for 20+. They have no State Income Tax BUT, they get it in so many other ways; car taxes, sales taxes, property taxes etc., that I don't see the lack of a State Income Tax as a big incentive when considering a move.

I always see the NYS IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS ads on TV. They may be open for business, but not for individuals. So BUF takes it's knocks in the article but if you look at the cities that are "good" places to retire, I'm not attracted to very much there either. Guess I'll stay in Virginia! :( .

I'm 34 and this is the best shape Buffalo has been in since I have been alive.

And snow birding is the way to go. Love, love late spring, summer, and early fall here. IMO, it's the best weather i nthe country in the summer. Hate the rest.