Women's World Cup

As for me, the "tweaks" have significantly harmed major American sports with the asinine 'getting it right' obsession. Replay sucks, in all it's forms. Waiting around for five minutes while they decide to add 1/2 second to the clock is ridiculous. Endless TV timeouts, endless penalties, etc. I can understand the backlash against 'Americanizing' soccer.

Agreed. All the checking has gone too far. Some guy in the booth should check touchdowns and give a red light or green light to the ref to indicate whether it was a good play or bad play. If they can't tell in 10 seconds, move on. Usually it's fairly obvious. Once you're into blowing up screens past clear pixel resolution, I am happy going with the ref's call. And that includes the "no goal" call.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Replay sucks, in all it's forms. Waiting around for five minutes while they decide to add 1/2 second to the clock is ridiculous. Endless TV timeouts, endless penalties, etc.

Yes, but if girls are making out at the end of the game...?

I'll be sure to check back here the next time the Bills get a wrong call overturned on replay.

Or you could just do a google search for virtually all sports coverage from the end of the NFC Divisional game between Dallas and Green Bay until kickoff of the NFC Championship game.

Or you could just do a google search for virtually all sports coverage from the end of the NFC Divisional game between Dallas and Green Bay until kickoff of the NFC Championship game.

So are you saying you prefer running time and no replay in the NFL?

Most of the world isn't American, and can live with imprecision and ambiguity.

Like not paying your taxes, your debts, etc.

I'll be honest. I was pumped for the tournament and it was a big disappointing. At least Mrs. Domestic Violence gave up a few goals.

She won the Golden Glove, right?:

a1082.jpg

Am I? As much as a they-should-micro-manage-every-last-second guy like yourself? You do realize soccer players get no real rest except the delays in kicking the ball and after scoring a goal? I guess the ref could have stopped the clock after the 4th US goal and Japan had their group meeting to try and rally each other too. I coached against a guy that once his inexperienced team was losing would come on the field after they got scored on and do 1-3 minutes of coaching before their ensuing kickoff. Great coach, would never do it if they weren't losing.

When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's the refs never declared how much injury time was being added on. You just went until the whistle while the announcers tried to guess what the extra time would be. I miss it, because it definitely added to the drama of the game.

And the game is not about a goal. It is about possessing the ball, then utilizing individual and team creativity/skill to create and take advantage of opportunities to score.

They should probably keep score some other way then

Agreed. In all major sports. Hockey needs suspensions for diving as does basketball. Fines will not get the job done.

Hell, just calling diving on the ice would be a big improvement. No need to create new rules while the existing ones aren't enforced.

Agreed. In all major sports. Hockey needs suspensions for diving as does basketball. Fines will not get the job done.

Harder to call in soccer on the field. I watched enough games in my lifetime to look at a play and call it a dive only for the player to be injured for a sustainable period of time.

Harder to call in soccer on the field. I watched enough games in my lifetime to look at a play and call it a dive only for the player to be injured for a sustainable period of time.

So review them after the game (or at halftime). A player found "guilty" of diving is suspended for the remainder of the game and/or the next game -- just as if he had received a red card.

Edited by eball

Stop trying to rape the game and turn it into an interminable time-obsessed affair. Stopping the clock means throwing in commercials and TV time outs. One of the very best things about soccer is that 45 minute halves are pretty much 45 minute halves and completed in pretty much 45 minutes. It is beyond enjoyable to be able to witness an athletic spectacle like this world cup and not have it constantly interrupted

Great game yesterday. Credit to Ellis for finally getting things settled and right these last 2 games. Congrats USA ladies!

You're correct. The best part about kickball is that it ends quickly.

It helps when a world class athlete trips over her feet when backpedaling.

that goalie was way off her mark and got thumped for it.

goals against the US - the first Japan goal was when a US player fell down in front of the kick and the other was a US self goal off of a header.

I didn't say stop the clock every time. Just after goals, during set pieces (corner kicks, free kicks, penalty kicks) and during injuries. Or in other words...stoppages. Tom, how does that change the strategy of the game one inch?

Two hours of soccer per game is JUST RIGHT!!!

as I posted before, some games are all about possession and not scoring - that makes for a very boring game!

Jesus Christ

Yes?

that goalie was way off her mark and got thumped for it.

goals against the US - the first Japan goal was when a US player fell down in front of the kick and the other was a US self goal off of a header.

Two hours of soccer per game is JUST RIGHT!!!

as I posted before, some games are all about possession and not scoring - that makes for a very boring game!

You are overreacting. Stop time won't change soccer one bit, other than the stalling on injuries and set plays. You can still stall all you want during play. Edited by PromoTheRobot

So review them after the game (or at halftime). A player found "guilty" of diving is suspended for the remainder of the game and/or the next game -- just as if he had received a red card.

Yes. Diving is hard for any ref to call on the spot. In replay, its usually obvious.

You said "out of bounds plays" too. Those move quickly enough that you don't have to stop the clock. Just on plays that take a while to set up.

Out of bounds plays are when the longest delays (except injuries) occur. The keeper is slow to get the ball. No one clears the ball from the field. Keeper switches sides. Defender walks up for the throw in casually. Someone else decides to take the throw at the last second. All classic delaying moments in soccer. Everyone does it--it's strategy with a lead to milk those moments.