Towards a New Progressivism?

Some interesting ideas being floated out there. Yes, its British, but so what.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2015/jun/25/practical-vision-more-equal-society/

He also argues for guaranteed public-sector jobs at a minimum wage for the unemployed, and democratization of access to property ownership via an innovative national savings system, with guaranteed returns for the depositors. There will be inheritance for all, achieved by a capital endowment at age eighteen, financed by a more robust estate tax; an end to the English poll tax—a flat-rate tax for local governments—and the effective abandonment of Thatcherism. The effect is exhilarating. Witty, elegant, profound, this book should be read: it brings us the finest blend of what political economy and British progressivism have to offer.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also argues for guaranteed public-sector jobs at a minimum wage for the unemployed

So essentially unionize the unemployed. Yeah, great idea. Give them all 'minimum wage' jobs, then immediately have the idiots start crying about how they all need a 'living wage' for doing nothing, plus free bennies and an unsustainable and unfunded defined benefit pension.

:doh:

I'm not sure where the "new" part comes in.

Copy/paste nutsuckers like you are ALWAYS begging for things to be fair by taking from those who make and giving to those who take, and you argue for this because of some ridiculous belief that because you have absolutely no ability to get off your ass, people should just start handing things down to you.

Look. We get it. You're lazy and have no discernible talent that you can turn into steady income. But why drag everyone down to your level of lazy? Can't you just be lazy more quietly?

So essentially unionize the unemployed. Yeah, great idea. Give them all 'minimum wage' jobs, then immediately have the idiots start crying about how they all need a 'living wage' for doing nothing, plus free bennies and an unsustainable and unfunded defined benefit pension.

:doh:

I agree with you that these shouldn't be some type of permanent jobs, but I also think the government could do way more to promote fuller employment. Not that it will be easy, but it would be worth it

I'm not sure where the "new" part comes in.

Copy/paste nutsuckers like you are ALWAYS begging for things to be fair by taking from those who make and giving to those who take, and you argue for this because of some ridiculous belief that because you have absolutely no ability to get off your ass, people should just start handing things down to you.

Look. We get it. You're lazy and have no discernible talent that you can turn into steady income. But why drag everyone down to your level of lazy? Can't you just be lazy more quietly?

B-Man basically only cuts and pastes, go bother him about it

Some interesting ideas being floated out there. Yes, its British, but so what.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2015/jun/25/practical-vision-more-equal-society/

Great, how would we pay for this if the U.S. were to adopt a similar plan? This in an environment which currently already includes large annual spending deficits, rising costs to service our debt, a SS system which is spending more than it receives and exploding public healthcare costs (medicare and medicaid)?

This article is much more pleasing to read if read in a British accent. It brings out your inner progressive.

I agree with you that these shouldn't be some type of permanent jobs, but I also think the government could do way more to promote fuller employment. Not that it will be easy, but it would be worth it

Yeah....they can lower the cost of operating private businesses where PRODUCTIVE jobs exist. Naturally you don't understand the first thing about that.

Maybe, but the difference is that B-Man cuts and pastes what he wants.

You cut and paste what you're told to cut and paste.

And you still didn't explain to us why we should be dragged down to your level of lazy? Is it our fault that's the best you can do? Is it our fault your career peaked at jobs where the uniform comes with a hairnet?

Edited by LABillzFan

Yeah....they can lower the cost of operating private businesses where PRODUCTIVE jobs exist. Naturally you don't understand the first thing about that.

But how can a government lower the cost of operating businesses where productive jobs exist? Is it by further burdening themselves with future liabilities which necessitate greater tax collections? Like say guaranteed health insurance coverage and a minimum wage for every citizen regardless of employment status?

Hey, leave me out of gator's little deflection attempt..................lol

Yes, my style of posting is to put up parts of articles that I am (reasonably) sure that many on the board has not been exposed to.

The majority are from Conservative sources, but not all.

No one is compelled to read them, it won't hurt my feelings at all if they do not.

But, I refuse to be the type of poster who "shares" his every thought.

One who has difficulty even writing a complete sentence, but then cries "victim" whenever he is insulted.

I'll leave that to others.

Edited by B-Man

You cut and paste what you're told to cut and paste.

Maybe you are just completely nuts

The government does provides lots of productive jobs and can make more. You don't understand that I guess

Hey, leave me out of gator's little deflection attempt..................lol

Yes, my style of posting is to put up parts of articles that I am (reasonably) sure that many on the board has not been exposed to.

The majority are from Conservative sources, but not all.

No one is compelled to read them, it won't hurt my feelings at all if they do not.

But, I refuse to be the type of poster who "shares" his every thought.

One who has difficulty even writing a complete sentence, but then cries "victim" whenever he is insulted.

I'll leave that to others.

Ya, a cut and paste machine you are.

Maybe you are just completely nuts

The government does provides lots of productive jobs and can make more. You don't understand that I guess

What's nuts is you starting this topic after you spent last week telling us all how there are millions of permanently unemployable people due to coming from broken homes... now you suddenly care about them. :lol:

What's nuts is you starting this topic after you spent last week telling us all how there are millions of permanently unemployable people due to coming from broken homes... now you suddenly care about them. :lol:

He still doesn't care about them, he just wants us to magically create millions of 'productive' government jobs for them to do -- for minimum wage. :lol:

There will be inheritance for all, achieved by a capital endowment at age eighteen, financed by a more robust estate tax;

What? At the age of 18, you get money from other people's estates indirectly through tax-funded endowment?

That's not "inheritance." It's welfare.

What? At the age of 18, you get money from other people's estates indirectly through tax-funded endowment?

So to summarize, we will motivate the next generation to great achievement and success by awarding every 18 year-old an "inheritance" and telling them no matter how much they screw up, they are always guaranteed a government job.

It must be fun dreaming up "progressive" policy without bothering to consider such policy would be applied to human beings and not robots.

So to summarize, we will motivate the next generation to great achievement and success by awarding every 18 year-old an "inheritance" and telling them no matter how much they screw up, they are always guaranteed a government job.

It must be fun dreaming up "progressive" policy without bothering to consider such policy would be applied to human beings and not robots.

You forgot to mention how it has failed every time it is tried!

But this time will be different!!!!.

Those are facts and details. Stop obfuscating.