Do you known how to inflate a tire?

I just got back from 2nd cousin's wedding this weekend. Good times. Both sides are heavy partiers, which is always great. Partying as we know, means bathroom, which is where I headed. I walked in, saw 2 guys from the other side talking, and began my preparations. Just as I was about to go, the first guy bellows:

"Come over here, get on your knees, twist off the cap, and blow as hard as you can!" :blink::o Of course I look over my shoulder in sheer WTF mode. To my relief, it became instantly clear guy #1 was telling a story. Guy #1 goes on: "So the stupid SOB gets down and blows on the F'ing tire! I told him you gotta blow harder, and he does! Then I told him to get up, and to 'GTFO of here you dumb mother F'er and never come back'" As he said the last part he whipped his brown paper towel in the garbage and stormed out. I am now laughing so hard from the story, and still in shock from the first line, that I can't do my business. So, I pack things up and the 2nd guy is gone.

Now I am boggled. I need to hear the first part of the story, or my night sucks.

Sure enough, the 2nd guy comes back to the bar and I demand he tell me the first part. He laughs and says: "That's my uncle. My cousin is 20 now, but 2 years ago she was going on her first date. The kid showed up and my uncle met him outside. He looked into the car and it was a mess. He asked the kid "Have you ever cleaned this car?" The kid said no. Then, he started to inspect the car, and noticed the right rear tire was low. He told the kid it was, and then he asked "Do you know how to inflate a tire?" The kid said no.

....which is when I walked in.

I don't know. My new car has run flats... Doesn't even have a spare, fix-a-flat, or inflator. Supposedly you can go 90 miles with no air in the tires @ 50 mph max. I guess if you get in a real jam, you just call the roadside # on the back door jam.

Maybe this is the problem... The way things are going. Heck, the car doesn't even have a dipstick, you check it electronically and doesn't need an oil change for 1 year or 10,000 per maker's specs (BMW).

Blame the car companies and roadside assistance. They really don't want you touching anything. I put a pigtail on the battery for a charger and I had to get through 23 layers of plastic and molding to expose the battery. I didn't dare unhook the battery or risk throwing a code. There was enough thread left on the positive terminal for me to but a ring terminal, metric nut w/Locktite. Guess what, low and behold, the master cylinder for the brakes is buried behind the battery box... They don't even want you touching that! Only thing you can access is oil filler cap, postive battery terminal cap (negative has spot on the frame), coolant bottle, and windshield washer fluid.

Be prepared for a whole generation that can't do more than adding windshield washer fluid and checking tire pressure/oil level on the onboard computer screen.

I don't know. My new car has run flats... Doesn't even have a spare, fix-a-flat, or inflator. Supposedly you can go 90 miles with no air in the tires @ 50 mph max. I guess if you get in a real jam, you just call the roadside # on the back door jam.

Don't worry about the spare, you'll be buying new tires every 20,000 miles. Run flats are the !@#$ing horrible.

I had my tires slashed Friday night. Practically brand new, not even 2000 miles on them.

Weird thing is, with my two neighbors' trucks parked on the street, and my car at the end of the driveway, they had to ignore all those and walk up to the truck beside the house and slash the tires. Someone really, really does not like my truck. (And no, it wasn't the neighbors...they like my wife, and wouldn't do that to her.)

Don't worry about the spare, you'll be buying new tires every 20,000 miles. Run flats are the !@#$ing horrible.

My brother just told me the same thing. He got a new van and it came with run flats. They come with some super low warranty and run out at 20-25k. To replace them the cost was about 5 times larger. And since his van doesn't have a place for a spare he had to risk it and go with regular tires. Not that he can't afford it - he just knows it is not worth the cost.

I had my tires slashed Friday night. Practically brand new, not even 2000 miles on them.

Weird thing is, with my two neighbors' trucks parked on the street, and my car at the end of the driveway, they had to ignore all those and walk up to the truck beside the house and slash the tires. Someone really, really does not like my truck. (And no, it wasn't the neighbors...they like my wife, and wouldn't do that to her.)

I thought you have a Prius? Truck????? Do tell more? Why a truck in DC, are you an idiot?

Any chance gatorman lives in your zip code...?

I was gonna say, should we start a board poll to guess the culprit?

My brother just told me the same thing. He got a new van and it came with run flats. They come with some super low warranty and run out at 20-25k. To replace them the cost was about 5 times larger. And since his van doesn't have a place for a spare he had to risk it and go with regular tires. Not that he can't afford it - he just knows it is not worth the cost.

I thought you have a Prius? Truck????? Do tell more? Why a truck in DC, are you an idiot?

I did the same thing after we wore out two sets in less than 4 years/40K miles. !@#$ it, we've got roadside assistance if we ever need it.

sounds personal - so when figuring out who may have a grudge against you is it easier to make a list or to use a marker to black out names from the phone book

Edited by ....lybob

I can have both.

I do a lot of home improvement and cabinetry. I don't drive it every day, but the truck is just too useful.

sounds personal - so when figuring out who may have a grudge against you is it easier to make a list or to use a marker to black out names from the phone book

This might surprise everyone...but I try not to associate with people in real life. It's been seven years since I had a personal friend.

This might surprise everyone...but I try not to associate with people in real life. It's been seven years since I had a personal friend.

Well you made an impression on someone - twenty cars with slashed tires on the street is punk kids, your truck tires slashed in your driveway is a really angry someone - this is a neighbor you called authorities on, a pissed off family member, someone you fired, demoted, belittled etc at work or a jilted lover- slashing tires is just a small step away from arson or violence.

I already have a set of winter tires and wheels picked out... Gonna get them in October. These that came with the vehicle are summer only.

I don't know which way to lean yet, so far I am loving them. I am probably going to be one of the few. I have known all the flak that they get and assumed the undertaking.

You said your truck was parked @ the end of the driveway? Was it blocking the sidewalk?

I am not sure how the MINI bumper to bumper (boot to bonnet) warranty works but it does cover ALL wearable parts for 36 month/36k... Including brakes, which I assume would include tire wear outside of road hazard... BUT I might be wrong. Road hazard is usually extra and I usually hate the OEM tires I get on a vehicle anyway. Like I said, I do have a set of winter wheels and tires picked out from TireRack... Those will come in October... Pretty cheap @ all 4 for a grand. Right now the Cooper S has an outrageous 18" 205/40 metric... Those will be softened to a 16" 195/55. Right now, everybump on the planet can be felt... BUT you can corner @ 105 mph! LoL...

Honestly, not to defend him... BUT he does NOT seem like the kind of guy to obsess LIKE THIS. IMO, it seems the other way... There is more obsessing about him. He never invokes others w/so much passion as some seem to about him. FWIW... It seems DC and others would be slashing his tires... There is quite a love affair w/invoking his name.

Just my uneducated opinion... ;-)

I already have a set of winter tires and wheels picked out... Gonna get them in October. These that came with the vehicle are summer only.

I don't know which way to lean yet, so far I am loving them. I am probably going to be one of the few. I have known all the flak that they get and assumed the undertaking.

You said your truck was parked @ the end of the driveway? Was it blocking the sidewalk?

I am not sure how the MINI bumper to bumper (boot to bonnet) warranty works but it does cover ALL wearable parts for 36 month/36k... Including brakes, which I assume would include tire wear outside of road hazard... BUT I might be wrong. Road hazard is usually extra and I usually hate the OEM tires I get on a vehicle anyway. Like I said, I do have a set of winter wheels and tires picked out from TireRack... Those will come in October... Pretty cheap @ all 4 for a grand. Right now the Cooper S has an outrageous 18" 205/40 metric... Those will be softened to a 16" 195/55. Right now, everybump on the planet can be felt... BUT you can corner @ 105 mph! LoL...

his remedy was to get AAA but he is not sure he will keep it. Living in Texas he is !@#$ed if he gets a flat disirregardless of where he may be because not only is he still in Texas - but there are wide open places there.

He was looking at getting a spare tire and some options to mount it. I've looked in to it. There is a growing industry for aftermarrtt spare tire kits for vans and cars. It'd be great for Car trips.

Oh... And back to the OP. In all my years, I usually catch a bad tire. NEVER have I had to use my spare... Okay, maybe once, but it was parked... AND years ago.

What I have been doing for the last 30 years is just plugging them. I carry a nice plug kit and rubber cement in my vehicles (sans the new run flat car... I will call roadside! LoL). Kit contains plugs and nice heavy duty plugger/rasp... I just plug the freaking thing right on the vehicle. It is BS how they tell you @ the tire shop how they have to break the tire down and patch... That's all probably insurance and money. I never had a plug fail since I never ride the tread bare.

Actually, a few years ago, I picked up a 4" decking screw in a sidewall... I just limped carefully to the tire shop a few miles away. It was on the AWD car... Last tire purchase I always save one good one. I had them put that on and puked the bad tire. Being AWD, tread wear was still within the same metric of the other 3 good wheels. Actually, Chrysler AWD is a little more tolerant to uneven tread wear across all 4 tires (for AWD system).

Plugging and an inflator is the way to go... I find it way easier.

his remedy was to get AAA but he is not sure he will keep it. Living in Texas he is !@#$ed if he gets a flat disirregardless of where he may be because not only is he still in Texas - but there are wide open places there.

He was looking at getting a spare tire and some options to mount it. I've looked in to it. There is a growing industry for aftermarrtt spare tire kits for vans and cars. It'd be great for Car trips.

Yep! I hear you. Just get a plug kit too... Nice heavy duty plugger tool/rasp... Can of tire cement and side cutters... On my Jeep, it is even easier to plug on the vehicle... More clearance. Oh, pair of pliers and inflator... FWIW, again, I never had one fail. HINT: I dip the whole plug in the cement before plugging and make sure you move the vehicle for a while so the thing will vulcanize.

Well you made an impression on someone - twenty cars with slashed tires on the street is punk kids, your truck tires slashed in your driveway is a really angry someone - this is a neighbor you called authorities on, a pissed off family member, someone you fired, demoted, belittled etc at work or a jilted lover- slashing tires is just a small step away from arson or violence.

Supposedly there's been a rash of slashed tires in my neighborhood the past few weeks, actually. But just one or two cars at a time.

Very strange.

Probably all of those 13.1 and coexist stickers.

Supposedly there's been a rash of slashed tires in my neighborhood the past few weeks, actually. But just one or two cars at a time.

Very strange.

Maybe it is like the movie: The Jerk. You know the scene where the guy goes through the phonebook and says (edited for you specific case): "Today your tires die!"

Were you raised by a poor black family? Did you just get your name in the phonebook? Own a dog (pitbull of course) named Sh*thead... Of course Ryan and Big Cat can call him Lifesaver. :-/

:-P :-P

Probably all of those 13.1 and coexist stickers.

Or:

"My child is an honor student on TheStadiumWall."

Or... In a strange twist (since he owns a Prius):

Stars and Bars sticker next to the "Prius repellant" sticker

;-)