HS graduates receive participation awards

Beerball

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They put the requirements out ahead of time and the kids met them. It's an incentive to do well and to be active in the community. I've got no problem with it.

They put the requirements out ahead of time and the kids met them. It's an incentive to do well and to be active in the community. I've got no problem with it.

val·e·dic·to·ri·an
ˌvalədikˈtôrēən/
noun
  1. a student, typically having the highest academic achievements of the class, who delivers the valedictory at a graduation ceremony.

'zackly....a participation award would be like letting me be one of the valedictorian awards with my solid below average gpa....these kids had perfect gpa and stellar test scores...good for them

val·e·dic·to·ri·an
ˌvalədikˈtôrēən/
noun
  1. a student, typically having the highest academic achievements of the class, who delivers the valedictory at a graduation ceremony.

Perhaps they're misusing the term "valedictorian." I'm just opining that the program they've come up with is purely positive.

Perhaps they're misusing the term "valedictorian." I'm just opining that the program they've come up with is purely positive.

I'll stick to my thought that the school created a system to make them (the school) look better than they actually are. Call it grade inflation or whatever you want, something's a bit fishy there.

I'd agree, but they also have to score 29 and 1200 or better on the ACT and SAT,

Crap, 1200 used to be a good score, didn't realize it was based on 2400 these days. 29 is still a good ACT score, right?

I'll stick to my thought that the school created a system to make them (the school) look better than they actually are. Call it grade inflation or whatever you want, something's a bit fishy there.

Edited by The Poojer

I'd agree, but they also have to score 29 and 1200 or better on the ACT and SAT,

Wait, only 1200? I missed that number when I read the story. Isn't that incredibly low. That was a solid but not spectacular score in our days, but isn't the max score now 2400? The ACT, I have no clue what scores are supposed to be on that one.

Anyway, I'm not sure why those standardized tests factor in at all.

You're right, everybody wins.

No. 7.3% won. They shouldn't all be named Valedictorian, but they sure as hell deserve recognition.

Getting just the diploma is a participation award for the other 92.7% of the kids.

Is it a participation trophy or is it a school trying to pad their stats?

This.

Nothing wrong with recognizing multiple valedictorians if more than one had perfect academic records, but when it reaches this level it's obvious the school has set the perfection bar too low. The battle among top students to win the title used to be an important competition in high school.

Misusing it badly. When I was valedictorian, all the other elite-but-not-quite-valedictorian students had to settle for graduating "with honors."

1200 might be the combined math/reading, since nobody cares about the writing section.

A 1200 overall is around the 50th percentile or so. A 1200.on math and reading is 80th percentile.

Misusing it badly. When I was valedictorian, all the other elite-but-not-quite-valedictorian students had to settle for graduating "with honors."

One poor soul in that class earned the title of "salutatorian" which, in addition to the ignominy of being the first loser, had the added curse of being seated next to you at graduation.

It should be based on school grades only. Why "punish" a 5(?).0 student who doesn't need act or sat for his/her next stop in life. So if a group have equal grades, whether it's 2 or 50. They all reached the same accomplishment.

Here's an easy solution: combined highest SAT and ACT score is the tie breaker.