Anyone have a tankless water heater?

Rubes

It's getting time for us to replace our water heater, and since it's just the wife and me in a small house, we were thinking of going with a tankless water heater. But I've heard different stories about them from people, and I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience with one. I started looking into information about them, but there are many different makes and models, and wide ranges of parts and installation costs.

we have a rinnai. we don't like it all that much. it takes about 3-4 minutes for the shower water to get hot in the master bathroom. the last owner of the house added a bathroom himself under the master and the plumbing is a bit funky so that might have something to do with it but even at other sinks, hot water is not instantaneous. cold pathces wjhile hot water is running is another complaint. it's a known and documented issue even on the rinnai site. additionally, you will need to have the tank descaled yearly which means a plumber visit unless you're pretty handy. my experience is that few plumbers want to work on them as well. we had a guy that is factory authorized for rinnais but as far as i know he's the only one in the area. i'd make sure that whatever brand you buy has people to maitain them in your area. overall, i'd advise against them but i know other folks that really like them.

We have a Baxi system which is used for heat and hot water. I am so glad we got it. We initially had a standard hot water tank that kept 50 gallons of water at shower ready temperature. It was inefficent, even though it was relatively new. The heater would kick on just in case we decided to use hot water. With the Baxi, once we turn on the water, it immediately starts making hot water. It takes about 1-2 minutes before the water gets hot in the bathrooom (about 90 feet of piping) and a bit less for the kitchen (about 40 feet). We have had it since Sandy ruined the old one and the heating system. So glad we made the switch.

Son Inlaw put one in when we did basement last year. Takes care of 3 1/2 baths plus kitchen. Come in different sizes. Takes a couple minutes to travel up stairs but so did other tank

we have a rinnai. we don't like it all that much. it takes about 3-4 minutes for the shower water to get hot in the master bathroom. the last owner of the house added a bathroom himself under the master and the plumbing is a bit funky so that might have something to do with it but even at other sinks, hot water is not instantaneous. cold pathces wjhile hot water is running is another complaint. it's a known and documented issue even on the rinnai site. additionally, you will need to have the tank descaled yearly which means a plumber visit unless you're pretty handy. my experience is that few plumbers want to work on them as well. we had a guy that is factory authorized for rinnais but as far as i know he's the only one in the area. i'd make sure that whatever brand you buy has people to maitain them in your area. overall, i'd advise against them but i know other folks that really like them.

Is yours gas or electric?

It's getting time for us to replace our water heater, and since it's just the wife and me in a small house, we were thinking of going with a tankless water heater. But I've heard different stories about them from people, and I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience with one. I started looking into information about them, but there are many different makes and models, and wide ranges of parts and installation costs.

IMO tankless water heaters suck, Suck, SUCK!

• Higher up front cost
  • Technicians are not nearly as educated about them. Finding someone to fix them can be a real pain
  • Requires maintance such as descaling
  • You have to run the water a while before the water gets hot (much longer than a tank water heater in my experience). I wasted more water with a tankless
  • I've experienced regular cold water sandwiches while taking a shower (hot shower turns into cold shower then the water gets hot again)

Now there are hybrid systems which hold a small water reserve in a small tank. Those are the way to go if you are insistent on a tankless. It should eliminate the problem with cold water sandwiches but they are more $$$$.

IMO tankless systems serve a real purpose for European homes where real estate is at a premium.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever