This question ranks higher than the meaning of life question

Why are the sides of the freeway called "shoulders?"

Why arent they called ears or arms if we're talking body parts?

A cop told me pull over to the shoulder. I told him, "What does that mean". He said "the side".

What's wrong with edge or side?

This is the question I would ask the dhali lama if I had a chance.

Ha ha ha.

Wannabe scientific answer is not good enough.

It confused me even more.

Bottles have shoulders???????

I have never heard that before. Pass the bottle please. But pass it to me by the shoulders? (Someone kick the nerd)

I've heard of the neck part of the bottle. But I didnt know bottles had shoulders?

bottles have necks...so sure they have shoulders

Ha ha ha.

Wannabe scientific answer is not good enough.

It confused me even more.

Bottles have shoulders???????

I have never heard that before. Pass the bottle please. But pass it to me by the shoulders? (Someone kick the nerd)

I've heard of the neck part of the bottle. But I didnt know bottles had shoulders?

Explain the difference between a boulevard and a quay while you're at it.

I've heard a boulevard described as a street, usually two lanes in each direction, separated in the middle by a lanscaped median.

A quay is a type of dock for boats.

Guess you'd really be stumped to figure out why they call a toll road a turnpike.

Yes I am.

Explain the difference between a boulevard and a quay while you're at it.

I would if I knew what a quay was.

It should be called the penis because if you're in a SigAlert (look that one up) and you drive on it to avoid the traffic you're a dick.

Sig alert named after some guy named Sig.

That's all I care to know about sig alerts.

Yes I am.

If you aren't joking... Because the old toll roads would have a big wooden pike (a tree trunk sharpened to a point on one end) turned to the uncoming traveller. If they would attempt to jump it, it would impale them. Like the revetments around a fort that used wooden pikes. In this case, pay the toll and then "turn the pike" so one can pass safely. They didn't have Smokey The Bear to chase a gate jumper down.

If you aren't joking... Because the old toll roads would have a big wooden pike (a tree trunk sharpened to a point on one end) turned to the uncoming traveller. If they would attempt to jump it, it would impale them. Like the revetments around a fort that used wooden pikes. In this case, pay the toll and then "turn the pike" so one can pass safely. They didn't have Smokey The Bear to chase a gate jumper down.

Vlad the impaler started the toll roads?

Is that what you're telling me?

Since we're pondering highway mysteries of the universe - - there's a "Chicken Dinner Road" in Idaho that I once drove. Why wasn't it named after breakfast or lunch instead?

Go back during breakfast or lunch and see if they change it according to the day.

We'll wait.