PPP Manners and/or Etiquette

It was suggested that a thread be started on this topic. Personally, I think this is a hilarious idea and therefore a worthy PPP endeavor. However, I also think it would be helpful for lurkers who wanna try their hand in the big game, and, regular posters who are scared of/disgusted by us largely because they don't understand the rules of the game. So, without further adieu I will begin with a few "manners", and some oldies but goodies, and the rest of you can join in:

1. The more angry/emotional you get, the more we like it. Thus don't get angry, get even. The punishment for getting angry depends on how angry you get, and what is posted. If you flip out, and post something as stupid as it is easily recalled, good luck living it down. It will become a weapon which will be used to beat you, repatedly.

2. Counterintuitively, insults and name calling are not indicative of losing the argument at PPP. Instead, whoever is being more insulting, and calling more names, is probably winning. No true PPP victory can be had without both insult and injury. The closer a PPP poster is to victory, the more insults fly. The reason for this is simple: PPP has a lot of smart people. Merely winning on the merits of the argument is too easy. True victory requires insults that are as funny as the argument is true. The flip side makes total sense: insulting/calling names, but with a losing argument, creates the same punishment as #1. Thus, the LESS sure of victory a poster is, the LESS insults fly.

3. Don't be phony, and sure as hell don't act morally superior, or sanctimonious. Definitely don't assclown your way into being all 3 at the same time. That is blood in the water for PPP. From "I take the time to talk to janitors at Dennys"(I said oldies but goodies) to "everyone who doesn't demand full acceptance of gay marriage is a bigot", many here have been severly punished for their self-righteous, self-congratulation. In this way, PPP is a great thing. It's stops the self-unaware in their tracks. It reminds people that their farts smell. It prevents mere values(meat is murder) from being presented as universal human principles(murder is murder).

4. You aren't allowed to write long posts about anything, other than personal, working knowledge of equity markets, economics, and your finance major in general. If that is the subject, then full page posts are "serious matters to be discussed". -_- If you long post about anything else, your punishment is endless trolling, from the same people who write long posts about finance or real estate. Yes, this is unfair and ironic, but, unfairness and irony flying from all directions: is one of the best things about PPP.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was suggested that a thread be started on this topic. Personally, I think this is a hilarious idea and therefore a worthy PPP endeavor. However, I also think it would be helpful for lurkers who wanna try their hand in the big game, and, regular posters who are scared of/disgusted by us largely because they don't understand the rules of the game. So, without further adieu I will begin with a few "manners", and some oldies but goodies, and the rest of you can join in:

1. The more angry/emotional you get, the more we like it. Thus don't get angry, get even. The punishment for getting angry depends on how angry you get, and what is posted. If you flip out, and post something as stupid as it is easily recalled, good luck living it down. It will become a weapon which will be used to beat you, repatedly.

2. Counterintuitively, insults and name calling are not indicative of losing the argument at PPP. Instead, whoever is being more insulting, and calling more names, is probably winning. No true PPP victory can be had without both insult and injury. The closer a PPP poster is to victory, the more insults fly. The reason for this is simple: PPP has a lot of smart people. Merely winning on the merits of the argument is too easy. True victory requires insults that are as funny as the argument is true. The flip side makes total sense: insulting/calling names, but with a losing argument, creates the same punishment as #1. Thus, the LESS sure of victory a poster is, the LESS insults fly.

3. Don't be phony, and sure as hell don't act morally superior, or sanctimonious. Definitely don't assclown your way into being all 3 at the same time. That is blood in the water for PPP. From "I take the time to talk to janitors at Dennys"(I said oldies but goodies) to "everyone who doesn't demand full acceptance of gay marriage is a bigot", many here have been severly punished for their self-righteous, self-congratulation. In this way, PPP is a great thing. It's stops the self-unaware in their tracks. It reminds people that their farts smell. It prevents mere values(meat is murder) from being presented as universal human principles(murder is murder).

4. You aren't allowed to write long posts about anything, other than personal, working knowledge of equity markets, economics, and your finance major in general. If that is the subject, then full page posts are "serious matters to be discussed". -_- If you long post about anything else, your punishment is endless trolling, from the same people who write long posts about finance or real estate. Yes, this is unfair and ironic, but, unfairness and irony flying from all directions: is one of the best things about PPP.

who died and made you king? there's much less here that i agree with than there is that i vehemently disagree with. insults are for the feeble minded and weak or done out of exasperation in response to the feeble minded and weak. they should be unwelcome and discouraged.

maybe a change to civility would actually attract some desirable and interesting new posters...

who died and made you king? there's much less here that i agree with than there is that i vehemently disagree with. insults are for the feeble minded and weak or done out of exasperation in response to the feeble minded and weak. they should be unwelcome and discouraged.

maybe a change to civility would actually attract some desirable and interesting new posters...

Anyone who can't handle a little **** talking on an anonymous (or semi-anonymous) message board has problems.

I think the real reason so many avoid this place is that you can't come into an argument high on conviction and low on knowledge without being exposed. And most people's political beliefs are based on a pretty flimsy foundation.

Anyone who can't handle a little **** talking on an anonymous (or semi-anonymous) message board has problems.

I think the real reason so many avoid this place is that you can't come into an argument high on conviction and low on knowledge without being exposed. And most people's political beliefs are based on a pretty flimsy foundation.

what does incivility add to the discussion? it only detracts. informed people can strongly disagree on topics. the patriot act is a timely and important example. but you aren't hearing rand paul insult mitch mcconnel over it, at least not publicly. his argument (and reputation) would only seem weaker if he did.

what does incivility add to the discussion? it only detracts. informed people can strongly disagree on topics. the patriot act is a timely and important example. but you aren't hearing rand paul insult mitch mcconnel over it, at least not publicly. his argument (and reputation) would only seem weaker if he did.

Is the incivility really that extreme over here? I know we make fun of and call each other idiots from time to time, but with the exception of the occasional spat between posters, or beating up on an insufferable troll like gatorboy, do you really think the tone here is all that hostile?

And there's the key word.

It's not disagreement that gets people beaten up here. It's massive ignorance like yours.

And there's the key word.

It's not disagreement that gets people beaten up here. It's massive ignorance like yours.

people in glass houses...at any rate, i thought the key word for this thread was insult. i suppose redefining the theme of a thread is a form of insult to the op. given his post, he has no cause to complain ,however. and you should stop assuming that your insults, baits and barbs are effective in bothering people. repetition is just boring, not infuriating.

Edited by birdog1960

Conservative ignorance runs wild in this place but that doesn't get attacked nearly as much

Is it ill-mannered of me to follow you around and ask you the question stated below, over and over until you answer it?

I got to thinking, and yes gator, this is directed at you. The republicans may control the presidency and both legislative houses, but they may not have a super majority in the Senate. In your opinion, should they be free to put the "Nuclear Option" in play?

Civility is a two-way street around here as far as I'm concerned. I've had plenty of discussions with people I disagree with here that haven't degenerated into name-calling. On the other hand, if I say something stupid (which I actually try very hard not to do - if I'm unfamiliar with the details of a given subject I tend to ask questions instead of making statements) I expect to be called out on it.

Is it ill-mannered of me to follow you around and ask you the question stated below, over and over until you answer it?

I got to thinking, and yes gator, this is directed at you. The republicans may control the presidency and both legislative houses, but they may not have a super majority in the Senate. In your opinion, should they be free to put the "Nuclear Option" in play?

No offense, but If Greg can't get a simple answer out of that boob, then I can't see you having any success either.

people in glass houses...at any rate, i thought the key word for this thread was insult. i suppose redefining the theme of a thread is a form of insult to the op. given his post, he has no cause to complain ,however. and you should stop assuming that your insults, baits and barbs are effective in bothering people. repetition is just boring, not infuriating.

You're just upset that 2% of the regulars in PPP absorb 99% of the insults.