Is teaching good manners culturally biased?

My mom is a teacher. She has decided to "take it easy" and finish out her time as a 3rd grade teacher, because she used to do alternative.

Apparently she and her team of 3rd grade teachers have a series of lighter events planned, now that the standardized testing hell is over. One of them is "restaurant day". They are serving 4 kinds of doughnuts, having "servers", "chefs" and teaching each kid how to properly eat with a knife and fork, napkin in lap, etc., because these are largely very poor kids, and many of them literally eat everything with their hands. The principal tries to eat lunch with every kid once during the school year. Apparently he is on board, because these urchins gross him out on a daily basis.

However, guess who is not: the social worker. (Shocker, I know) Apparently teaching kids manners, and how to conduct themselves properly in a restaurant setting, is "culturally biased".

So I ask: culturally biased against what? Having a job? Being a success? Not grossing out your prospective mate? Distinguishing oneself from a F'ing squirrel?

IF there is a bias, what is the alternative/what are we being biased against? Are we offending cavemen? Are we offending the desert Bedouins, who eat with one hand, and wipe their ass with the other? Are we offending Indians, because they either they historically could not afford utensils, or weren't allowed them due to their caste? Which culture are we being biased against? Pink's Kmart culture?

Can anybody credibly explain to me how in the hell good manners is anything other than a mandatory life skill, and therefore one that ALL 3rd grade teachers must teach?

My mom is a teacher. She has decided to "take it easy" and finish out her time as a 3rd grade teacher, because she used to do alternative.

Apparently she and her team of 3rd grade teachers have a series of lighter events planned, now that the standardized testing hell is over. One of them is "restaurant day". They are serving 4 kinds of doughnuts, having "servers", "chefs" and teaching each kid how to properly eat with a knife and fork, napkin in lap, etc., because these are largely very poor kids, and many of them literally eat everything with their hands. The principal tries to eat lunch with every kid once during the school year. Apparently he is on board, because these urchins gross him out on a daily basis.

However, guess who is not: the social worker. (Shocker, I know) Apparently teaching kids manners, and how to conduct themselves properly in a restaurant setting, is "culturally biased".

So I ask: culturally biased against what? Having a job? Being a success? Not grossing out your prospective mate? Distinguishing oneself from a F'ing squirrel?

IF there is a bias, what is the alternative/what are we being biased against? Are we offending cavemen? Are we offending the desert Bedouins, who eat with one hand, and wipe their ass with the other? Are we offending Indians, because they either they historically could not afford utensils, or weren't allowed them due to their caste? Which culture are we being biased against? Pink's Kmart culture?

Can anybody credibly explain to me how in the hell good manners is anything other than a mandatory life skill, and therefore one that ALL 3rd grade teachers must teach?

"Good manners" isn't "culturally biased." It's culturally specific. Because what constitutes "good manners" differs from culture to culture.

If they're going to live in THIS culture, they should learn THIS cuture's definition of "good manners." And if they go experience another culture, learn that definition. "Culturally specific" shouldn't mean "shouldn't be taught."

Feel free to share any of this with your mother. In particular, tell her to tell the social worker she's a !@#$ing dumbass for confusing "culturally specific" with "culturally biased."

To global on,, those families made a choice to move here. They should take the time to learn cultural moires of the adoptive country. In sure the kids' parents don't have as much of an issue as the dumass social worker.

To me, good manners and proper etiquette show that you have respect for both yourself and for others. It also shows that you have at least a modicum of class. I don't see how anyone could make a legitimate claim that "good manners" carries a cultural bias.

You guys are confusing "manners" with "etiquette."

The lessons involving using a knife, fork, with a napkin on the lap is etiquette, and it is obviously culturally biased. (Since many cultures don't have forks,) Of course, the argument can be made that the children should learn about American culture.

Manners have to do more with polite behavior. How to treat the servers. Don't double-dip. Don't talk and chew at the same time, etc.

Goodness....Everyone has to have a cause. Tell your mom to teach the kids some manners...or etiquette...or basic human decency.

Isn't it reasonable to instill some social mores with the kids? Expectations that are consistent with OUR society and culture. Nobody should have to debate whether or not your mom is being insensitive to the one child in the school who might, twenty years from now, travel to a distant land and have a meal.

I guess if we can't teach them EVERYONE's minutia/agenda... then we're better off teaching them nothing at all?? What, exactly, is the social workers suggestion here?

Only in as much as reading to your children disadvantages kids with lazy parents.

I wonder how many SF loonie liberals would have a problem with American kits in a Bay Area school being shown how to eat with chopsticks. Diversity.....having Amwricans accept other cultures all the while making it a no no to expecting them to accept ours.

You guys are confusing "manners" with "etiquette."

The lessons involving using a knife, fork, with a napkin on the lap is etiquette, and it is obviously culturally biased. (Since many cultures don't have forks,) Of course, the argument can be made that the children should learn about American culture.

Manners have to do more with polite behavior. How to treat the servers. Don't double-dip. Don't talk and chew at the same time, etc.

Etiquette is a part of having good manners, whatever the local etiquette may be.

To global on,, those families made a choice to move here. They should take the time to learn cultural moires of the adoptive country. In sure the kids' parents don't have as much of an issue as the dumass social worker.

What truly amuses me is the standard liberal belief that foreigners coming here shouldn't be bound by American cultural moires...but when they're actually living in their home countries and following their cultural moires, we B word that they're barbaric and need to be Westernized.

I wonder how many SF loonie liberals would have a problem with American kits in a Bay Area school being shown how to eat with chopsticks. Diversity.....having Amwricans accept other cultures all the while making it a no no to expecting them to accept ours.

Hey if you can get those baby foxes to eat with chopsticks you truly are a master.