And you think you're having a bad day...

DC Tom

No matter how bad a day you had, at least you didn't hit the USS Arizona.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/05/27/witness-us-navy-ship-struck-uss-arizona-memorial-in-hawaii.html

Good job, Captain Magoo. You hit a battleship. You literally hit an object used as a metaphor for "A blind man could see it." You could miss the Arizona, hit Ford Island, and be in less trouble. It would be less embarrassing to hit the actual state of Arizona that it is to hit the battleship. :thumbsup:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/05/27/witness-us-navy-ship-struck-uss-arizona-memorial-in-hawaii.html

Good job, Captain Magoo. You hit a battleship. You literally hit an object used as a metaphor for "A blind man could see it." You could miss the Arizona, hit Ford Island, and be in less trouble. It would be less embarrassing to hit the actual state of Arizona that it is to hit the battleship. :thumbsup:

He didn't hit a battleship. A tug boat hit part of the memorial which floats above the sunken battleship. But hey, at least you got to call someone an idiot, and blabber on your mental superiority over the rest of the world.

He didn't hit a battleship. A tug boat hit part of the memorial which floats above the sunken battleship. But hey, at least you got to call someone an idiot, and blabber on your mental superiority over the rest of the world.

I didn't call anyone an idiot. And read the story I linked, you idiot.

My fault...I didnt warn them today was Hump Day.

You're both idiots... They hit and damaged the dock tied to the Memorial. Oh, the drama! They didn't hit the battleship. Big whippty do, gotta give Navy Divers something to do... Of course I jest, poop happens. Did you see the size of The Mercy? Confined waters... I imagine it isn't as easy as it looks, it is the harbor tugs that are basically controlling the ship and things can wrong really, really fast from a varity of factors. They hit the landing dock. Docks get crunched all the time, especially in confined waters. It isn't like the Captain of the Mercy is tooling around out there out there all by himself, they were under vessel assist. Moving a vessel around like the Mercy is a coordinated effort. It just so happens to be the Arizona Memorial landing dock.

Does this gives new meaning out of: Making a Federal project out of a crunched landing dock? I guess they do have to check the structure out. Of course you don't want stuff like this to happen... But it does. Of course we will never see the full investigation of what really played out and the factors that lead to a dock getting smashed up. I hope the tugboat pilot wasn't talking on their cellphone, arguing w/their significant other... Roll my eyes.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

"...Tug boats were guiding the hospital ship from its port at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam at around 7 a.m. local time.

A Navy official who asked not to be identified said of the incident, "It looks like one of the tugs that was pushing her as she left the harbor might have hit the visitor landing to the Arizona...""

And it was an assisting vessel that actually had the allision w/the dock. It wasn't the Mercy that struck the dock. Some how this gets turned into: "Mercy hits Arizona." LMAO... You go news.. We have a witness on Ford Island and says: "Why couldn't they avoid the Arizona!" Hey buddy, you get up in the pilothouse and give it a whirl! ;-)

I like how the media/news hypes up everything, the drama... :-/

Tugs wrangling around a ship the size of Mercy can run into trouble quickly while in confined waters.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My fault...I didnt warn them today was Hump Day.

Ha! Not your fault. It would probably be nice to remind people that Pearl is a working port... It just so happens that there's a scared memorial right in the middle of everything. Probably not as easy as it seems. That's like having the Gettysburg Battlefiled in the middle of Chicago's Dan Ryan Expressway. You can't exactly move one of the two...

Hey... Somebody has to defend the harbor tug pilots and knock some common sense into all the drama. Again, something tells where the Arizona sunk is not exactly the greatest spot especially when the big boats like the Mercy come a calling.

Anyway, I wonder who the Navy has working the harbor @ Pearl? Is it in-house Navy or contract/civilian harbor pilots?

I got out of the Navy at Pearl. For a ship to get this close to the memorial regardless of size, somebody royally $*#&@ up. There is a wide span around the memorial that is restricted to navigation. Harbor pilot is ultimately responsible and always is a civilian (usually retired Navy/Coast Guard/Merchant Marine).

I did read it, DCToolbag. Maybe you couldn't see it well from your high horse?

They changed the story. The original said the Mercy hit the Arizona.

Yeesh....lighten up on our TBD resident grump, man. Axe to grind?

He hates me. I don't even know why. It's kind of cute.

This thread looked as harmless as they come. How it descended into darkness so quickly is amazing and entertaining. It was moving along nicely with minor disagreements but Sammy made it personal really taking it to the next level.

Edited by Dante