If the Bills had Rodgers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought was exactly what Alaska's was, but it is closer than I thought. Rogers has a cap hit of $18.25M this season and $19.25M next. It would mean more than Hughes ($6.175M in 2015, $7.575 in 2016) and Clay ($5.0M in 2015, $13M in 2016). They'd be covered in 2016, but would need to find some room in 2015.

Numbers from OTC.

Additional note: I still can't believe the freaking contract the Bills gave Clay. Looking at it makes my head want to explode. It's insane.

Clay's $13.5M cap hit in 2016 will undoubtedly be reduced. The $10M bonus payment will be reworked as an amortized payment lowering his cap hit by at least $7.5M.

I could never understand the angst surrounding his deal. His guaranteed monies are a bit higher than the standard, but his actual average/year is reasonable. There are 3 TEs on $9M+/year....then there are 8 TEs who earn between $7M and $7.6M (Clay being $7.6M). As Clay was the most recent signing on that list, it makes sense that he is on the slightly higher side of the tier two group.

I think the problem stems from people thinking that he is not of 2nd tier calibre(which he is).

In the larger scale of things, even when one might overpay a TE, the money differences are much lower than overpaying at many other positions.....and who knows? Maybe his top 100 player selection last year was warranted and we find that we got him for a bargain price.

Edited by Dibs

Clay's $13.5M cap hit in 2016 will undoubtedly be reduced. The $10M bonus payment will be reworked as an amortized payment lowering his cap hit by at least $7.5M.

I could never understand the angst surrounding his deal. His guaranteed monies are a bit higher than the standard, but his actual average/year is reasonable. There are 3 TEs on $9M+/year....then there are 8 TEs who earn between $7M and $7.6M (Clay being $7.6M). As Clay was the most recent signing on that list, it makes sense that he is on the slightly higher side of the tier two group.

I think the problem stems from people thinking that he is not of 2nd tier calibre(which he is).

In the larger scale of things, even when one might overpay a TE, the money differences are much lower than overpaying at many other positions.....and who knows? Maybe his top 100 player selection last year was warranted and we find that we got him for a bargain price.

the fact that the fish bothered to transition tag him says a lot imo. FA contracts look mind boggling because the cap went up and we have a moneybags owner. He's going to play A LOT of snaps in this offense. Edited by YoloinOhio

the fact that the fish bothered to transition tag him says a lot imo. FA contracts look mind boggling because the cap went up and we have a moneybags owner. He's going to play A LOT of snaps in this offense.

The general narative at the time was really baffling. Apparently it was a good move for Miami to tag Clay, and he was worth the $7.07M fully guaranteed tag deal.....but a bad deal for the Bills to steal him away and sign him to a long term deal, overpaying him to the tune of $7.6M/year. I guess that extra half a million makes all the difference to the talking heads.

You want shiny new toys, or a shiny new trophy/ring??? It's a no-brainer...I'd much rather add Rodgers to last year's team, than every free agent we added this offseason...in a heartbeat, without a doubt.

Uh, thanks? Let me know when Aaron Rogers is actually available and then we can actually cross that bridge.

You can pretty much say 14-2 and super bowl champions. Still I predict 11-5 this year. I think we should give you our 5th round draft choice Hundley to be your starter.

Wrong! Rogers wouldn't make it through 2 games behind the Bills offensive line. Almost every bone in his body would be broken before the end of September. You're forgetting the Bills have the absolute WORST offensive line in the NFL. They couldn't block a high school team.

the fact that the fish bothered to transition tag him says a lot imo. FA contracts look mind boggling because the cap went up and we have a moneybags owner. He's going to play A LOT of snaps in this offense.

Presumably that roster bonus will become a signing bonus and get amortized over the last four years of his deal at $2.5M per year, lowering his cap in 2016 by $7.5M to $6M. My point in using his current numbers was only concerning netting out the addition of Rogers and subtraction of Clay and Hughes.

They overpaid for him at $7.6M a year in a front loaded deal is what I am saying - and I like Clay as a player. I like that he can cause mismatches, that he can both block and catch, but I don't see him as stellar in any one facet of his game. Split hairs on who makes what in today's NFL, but he's the 4th highest paid TE in the league right now and he is not close to the fourth best tight end. He's a good player being paid like an outstanding one.

As for Miami transition tagging him, there is a difference between trying to keep a player by overpaying on a tag for one year and overpaying a guy on a 5 year deal. If Miami thought he was indispensable they would have franchise tagged him.

Edited by BarleyNY

Wrong! Rogers wouldn't make it through 2 games behind the Bills offensive line. Almost every bone in his body would be broken before the end of September. You're forgetting the Bills have the absolute WORST offensive line in the NFL. They couldn't block a high school team.

Got some stats to back that up?

There's no harm in letting another team develop your possible future franchise QB (who is raw) in a place like Green Bay where he's not expected to be the savior and therefore not pressed into action before he's ready.

Yeah, I mean, why spend a 5th round pick on a guy and develop him in your system, when you can wait and use a 1st round pick on him in three years based on one good start in a meaningless end of season game in 2016?

Well, aren't you just a charmer.