FIFA bust in Switzerland

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exciting to me. Everybody has known for a long time that FIFA was a bunch of crooks. I just didn't know it was possible to do anything about it. I'm very curious to see if this will have any effect on the next two bogus World Cup selections, Russian in 2018 and Qatar in 2022. Also, on Sepp Blatter's re-election this Friday.

I'm a little shocked that Blatter is likely coming away from this whole thing clean and likely even re-elected.

He might, but there is some doubt now. This is an opportunity for other associations to come out publicly against Blatter. Ireland today announced that they will vote against him in light of the new dirt. Other parties, including Transparency International have called for Blatter's resignation.

I don't know how this will develop and the details of the separate Swiss investigation into the bids for the Russia and Qatar world cups haven't been released yet. But, in any case, shining a light on FIFA scumbaggery is a good thing.

The only remaining challenger for FIFA president, Prince Ali of Jordan (who seems to be a good guy), said "today is a sad day for football." The overwhelming response of football fans around the world has been OH HELL NO--THIS IS A GREAT DAY FOR FOOTBALL!

He might, but there is some doubt now. This is an opportunity for other associations to come out publicly against Blatter. Ireland today announced that they will vote against him in light of the new dirt. Other parties, including Transparency International have called for Blatter's resignation.

I don't know how this will develop and the details of the separate Swiss investigation into the bids for the Russia and Qatar world cups haven't been released yet. But, in any case, shining a light on FIFA scumbaggery is a good thing.

The only remaining challenger for FIFA president, Prince Ali of Jordan (who seems to be a good guy), said "today is a sad day for football." The overwhelming response of football fans around the world has been OH HELL NO--THIS IS A GREAT DAY FOR FOOTBALL!

Thanks! The latest I had heard on it was on my drive to work this morning.

It's surprising to me that more people aren't interested. Especially among sports fans. It's a huge story worldwide.

I don't particularly like baseball, but if there was a breaking story about corruption, bribery & fraud, including arrests of top officials, I'd be interested in that. It's juicy stuff.

I wonder if Tony Blair resigning as Middle East Peace Envoy is simply a coincidence...don't know anything about soccer and whether Mr. Blair is even in discussions to 'save FIFA'

It's surprising to me that more people aren't interested. Especially among sports fans. It's a huge story worldwide.

I don't particularly like baseball, but if there was a breaking story about corruption, bribery & fraud, including arrests of top officials, I'd be interested in that. It's juicy stuff.

Frankly, soccer could use some good ol' fashioned corruption, bribery and fraud just to make it watchable.

Maybe I'm missing something. Doesn't the NFL do this all the time? It's called an auction or business to the highest bidder. Or when the government auctioned off rights to use certain frequencies to the highest bidder.

The difference is that the NFL doesn't commit wire fraud or money laundering after they get paid.