Jim Schwartz to work with NFL officials next season

The Bills did interview him for the HC job after Saint Doug quit, right?

supposedly so . hell they might have talked to him before Dougie skipped off!

We now know Rex blew them away. But i would have been fine with Schwartz , as long as he still brought Roman and Kromer ; )

and yes Manther i think he is maneuvering.

The Bills Schwartz interview was simply due dilligence. No way Pegula was going to take this guy as his big opening move as a new owner.

Schwartz crapped his HC bed in Detroit. Now he is headed to obscurity working some ref review booth/TV gig.

The Bills Schwartz interview was simply due dilligence. No way Pegula was going to take this guy as his big opening move as a new owner.

Schwartz crapped his HC bed in Detroit. Now he is headed to obscurity working some ref review booth/TV gig.

Thats contrary on every front Weo

Should be interesting

Think so?

I dont suspect his name will be heard from for awhile. What may be interesting is when/if he decides to return to coaching. Has his newfound affiliation with the Refs side of the game , will he ostracize himself to some degree? serious question.

Thats contrary on every front Weo

Think so?

I dont suspect his name will be heard from for awhile. What may be interesting is when/if he decides to return to coaching. Has his newfound affiliation with the Refs side of the game , will he ostracize himself to some degree? serious question.

Contrary how?

You do not think Schwartz was real candidate for the HC job? I can't see why not , honestly.

He nailed the defense and got his players to love him. He has Mucho experience over Marrone and could have swung some O coordinators i might wager.

He might have left the Detroit motor city under less than stellar circumstance. But he hardly canned his career as a HC.

Your last point about moving outside coaching may well prove true.

But seems to me he went out on a high note.

He was quoted as going to take some time off. i seriously doubt that there was no quiet offers for his service as at last a DC.

Edited by 3rdand12

With Schwartz and Roman I feel the average poster here could get to 9-7 if they just knew enough to get out of the way. I liked the solid D without all the gambling and big plays. I'd trade "fun to watch" for success. Yeah, bah humbug on me...

You do not think Schwartz was real candidate for the HC job? I can't see why not , honestly.

He nailed the defense and got his players to love him. He has Mucho experience over Marrone and could have swung some O coordinators i might wager.

He might have left the Detroit motor city under less than stellar circumstance. But he hardly canned his career as a HC.

Your last point about moving outside coaching may well prove true.

But seems to me he went out on a high note.

He was quoted as going to take some time off. i seriously doubt that there was no quiet offers for his service as at last a DC.

No, I don't think he was ever considered an serious candidate by the Pegulas. No evidence suggests otherwise.

That defense was fine with Pettine. Schwartz just showed up and kept a good thing going. He had no other offers for HC. I can't disprove "quiet offers", because I don't know what that means. HC interviews are pretty well covered every offseason. If anyone wanted him as DC, I'm sure he would have chosen that over this sad job he's taken now--no matter how much his contract still pays him. Another year and his candidacy as HC grows ever colder and more unlikely.

Weo, i disagree with you the defense was fine as we were ranked 28th against the run in Pettine's defense. Schwartz moved us up to the top 10 against the run as well as 4th against the pass so we did improve significantly under his DC responsibilities.

I know Rex almost always has a top 10 defense, and was #1 his first year in NY. We can only hope he manages this defense better than Pettine and are strong on both sides of the defense.

I just love the veteran presence for coaches on this team. It is too bad Schwartz didn't get a DC job somewhere. To minimize his impact on the team last year is a mistake. I'm not sure if he is a HC as it looked like he managed his team too loosely as a HC in Detroit. He may just be a top DC.

No, I don't think he was ever considered an serious candidate by the Pegulas. No evidence suggests otherwise.

That defense was fine with Pettine. Schwartz just showed up and kept a good thing going. He had no other offers for HC. I can't disprove "quiet offers", because I don't know what that means. HC interviews are pretty well covered every offseason. If anyone wanted him as DC, I'm sure he would have chosen that over this sad job he's taken now--no matter how much his contract still pays him. Another year and his candidacy as HC grows ever colder and more unlikely.

Well of course I cant prove anything either. Except that he said he was going to take time off after Rex came on board. it was all very quiet.

But Jim's defense was much improved over Pettine's imho. And i find it hard to believe there were not some interests.

As HC i dont feel so hot , unless like i mentioned he did the same thing Rex did and brought in better talent for Offense than himself.

I agree with Kelly. Top DC without question

The stats suggest otherwise. Improvements from 2013 to 2014 include:

-- from 10th to 4th in YPG

-- from 20th to 4th in PPG

-- 3rd down defense from 37% to 33%

-- rushing YPC from 23rd (4.4) to 12th (4.1)

-- rushing YPG from 28th (128.9) to 11th (106.4)

-- total sacks/turnovers forced (where Pettine's defense excelled) -- only dropped from 86 to 84 under Schwartz

Schwartz improved the defense significantly over Pettine.

Weo, i disagree with you the defense was fine as we were ranked 28th against the run in Pettine's defense. Schwartz moved us up to the top 10 against the run as well as 4th against the pass so we did improve significantly under his DC responsibilities.

I know Rex almost always has a top 10 defense, and was #1 his first year in NY. We can only hope he manages this defense better than Pettine and are strong on both sides of the defense.

I just love the veteran presence for coaches on this team. It is too bad Schwartz didn't get a DC job somewhere. To minimize his impact on the team last year is a mistake. I'm not sure if he is a HC as it looked like he managed his team too loosely as a HC in Detroit. He may just be a top DC.

He improved the run D, I'll give him that.

A top DC is a valuable commodity, with all the coaching changes last year, no one picked him up. Some here mayh spin that as "he want's to take time off", but I don't see how a guy who got fired from his only HC job and then spent 1 year coaching a loaded D improves his HC stock by doing nothing for a year.

Well of course I cant prove anything either. Except that he said he was going to take time off after Rex came on board. it was all very quiet.

But Jim's defense was much improved over Pettine's imho. And i find it hard to believe there were not some interests.

As HC i dont feel so hot , unless like i mentioned he did the same thing Rex did and brought in better talent for Offense than himself.

I agree with Kelly. Top DC without question

6 HC positions were open after the season ended. This was Schwartz's best chance at a HC job.

Petine got a HC job after his one less improved year as Buffalo DC......

He improved the run D, I'll give him that.

A top DC is a valuable commodity, with all the coaching changes last year, no one picked him up. Some here mayh spin that as "he want's to take time off", but I don't see how a guy who got fired from his only HC job and then spent 1 year coaching a loaded D improves his HC stock by doing nothing for a year.

6 HC positions were open after the season ended. This was Schwartz's best chance at a HC job.

Petine got a HC job after his one less improved year as Buffalo DC......

I was going to try to fit that in the discussion somewhere.

That was a bit ugly how that went down in Cleveland and the wheels came off the team before and after he got there.

Think he is getting grounded and something positive going now.

But

Is it truly possible Jim S. ostracized himself with with the rest of the NFLs owners coaches with his time in Detroit ?That was mixed bag during his tenure..

why do you think he is not desirable at even DC?

keep in mind please i was really watching closely for news of him as soon as Rex was hired.

It was unusually quiet. exceedingly quiet.

I gotta think?guess? he was saying no and it was kept under the radar because he never even interviewed. or maybe did not even try to.

I would accept that you might have a more educated guess than i , but we are both guessing

:thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12