Google maps is racist?

Gary M

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/05/326390-easy-find-racism-internet-mapping-software/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Media

Just curious, why would you search any of those phrases?

And it's funny they won't type the word in their article, but they show it in the screen grabs. :wallbash:

Because typing it without asterisks would make them racist? :doh:

Leave it to HuffPo to confuse an algorithm with racists. Don't the search results come up because Googlebot scours the web for highest correlations to the search term? So yeah, there are a lot of a*holes out there with web sites that demean the President & the White House.

“Some inappropriate results are surfacing in Google Maps that should not be, and we apologise for any offence this may have caused. Our teams are working to fix this issue quickly.”

I love how they give the snooty British apologise and offence spellings like they are Thurston Howell or something.

GG,

FWIW Googlebots are mostly not racists but they do like to mess with people. I wouldn't be surprised if the Googlebot creating the mistakes then turned around and sent the emails to HuffPo just to mess with them.

I put nigg*r house and it led me do atlanta daily world. Lol.

I guess that's some african american magazine headquartered in GA, USA.

Anyway I found this all funny. Like that principal that was trying to call the blacks back from the graduation and her racist stereotype. It was wrong, but funny. Principal was implying african americans dont follow rules.

Im not a racist, but I tell these joke all the time. Comedians dont hold anything back.

Working in a search engine related job, you'd be amazed and embarrassed what people type into search boxes. We monitor it monthly to try and keep phrases from appearing

Why should I "be amazed and embarrassed of what people type into search boxes?"

I am more amazed and embarrassed that there is a company out there that try and keep phrases from appearing... Scrubs it clean.

Really? That's just downright scary.

speaking from my standpoint, we do it to avoid 'questionable' or 'offensive' words showing up in the type-ahead or auto-suggest function, no different than most businesses that have search functions in their business landscape

Why should I "be amazed and embarrassed of what people type into search boxes?"

I am more amazed and embarrassed that there is a company out there that try and keep phrases from appearing... Scrubs it clean.

Really? That's just downright scary.

speaking from my standpoint, we do it to avoid 'questionable' or 'offensive' words showing up in the type-ahead or auto-suggest function, no different than most businesses that have search functions in their business landscape

That makes sense. I was assuming the worse, like some thought police out there. My bad. Thanx for the explanation.