What Show to Start?

Thinking of starting Deadwood. I like to purchase actual Blu-ray boxsets so does anyone have strong opinions, positive or negative on this show? Is there better quality shows to invest time and money into?

I have finished and enjoyed shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, House, Sopranos, The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, True Detective.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadwood is a great show, but it does take a while to get used to the syntax and lanquage patterns.

I remember it took me a good 4 episodes to really really get it. I would say if you could watch a couple on HBO Go or someo other way first before purchasing the bad set maybe a good way to go?

I think you can get HBO Go stand alone now, but I could be wrong.

Deadwood is fantastic. One of my all time favorite shows and one of the programs that set the tone for the last decade or so of quality TV.

That being said it is disappointing that they didn't know the show was ending when it was cancelled and so it just stops at the end of season 3 instead of having any sort of ending. The ride is still well worth while.

I would also recommend Game of Thrones but if you bought the box set it would only be season 1-4 and you would have to go back later and buy season 5+

Do want the series to be complete when you buy the box set?

Besides GoT, I have seen Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Deadwood mentioned. I'll throw out another HBO series: Rome. And in the same genre as Rome, Spartacus

Carnivale was a great watch. I wouldn't watch it though unless you are ok with it just ending. The show was canceled after season 2 so there's no real resolution. Still an awesome show.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall