Letterman's last show is tonight

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire purpose of the late-night format is promotion. That's why they sign the guests they do.

I agree it's one big commercial and that's why it's a failed genre. In my opinion anyway. For me I've never found celebrities particularly interesting or entertaining to listen to. It sounds counter intuitive but it's true. They don't seem to be, for the most part, spontaneous or witty. Honestly most are down right boring. So when Letterman or whomever else interviews them we are left with them plugging something with a clip and blah blah. A waste of time, For me that is. When Letterman first started he had all kinds of quirky guests that were not necessarily in the entertainment field. Some were odd and unique like Harvey Pekar. Made it unpredictable and different. The guy I used to get a kick out of was Brother Theodore. Anyway, he lost that after the CBS move and Dave started his transformation to a bitter man. This guy has a good breakdown

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/05/20/after-losing-to-jay-leno-david-lettermans-bitterness-cost-him-his-indiana-soul/

Brother Theodore

Edited by Dante

If you want the hits, take your significant other to the brittney spears vegas show. it seems like something really made for your taste and expectations. Art is not something you grasp. Obviously. Too Bad. BTW is there a link that Letterman (or anyone really) was pissed that dylan didn't play "Like a rolling stone" Didn't think so. Blah Blah Blah

IMO

Chill out, man. You attack my tastes because I think the casual fan would prefer to see Bob Dylan sing one of his greatest hits on Letterman's finale week rather than promote an album playing a song most people have never heard?

You've got issues.

... Anyway, he lost that after the CBS move and Dave started his transformation to a bitter man. This guy has a good breakdown

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/05/20/after-losing-to-jay-leno-david-lettermans-bitterness-cost-him-his-indiana-soul/

That guy really hit the nail on the head. The easy going guy in that Brother Theodore bit hasn't been around for some time. He's long since been replaced by the bitter, sarcastic ass hole that came after.

Letterman was a comedian for the boomers when in their prime pre-Internet. Now that most don't even stay up past 11pm and the Internet over-saturates us with celebrity news, there's just no market for it anymore other than nostalgia.

just watched the segments on youtube...nice job of a finale. really enjoyed the everlong montage...really liked the slightly extended pause on zevon. anyone know if letterman and chris elliot are on friendly terms, perhaps i missed it, but i would have thought he would have been good as one of the final guests. all in all despite what Julia Louis Dreyfuss said, this was a very good series finale

Kind of makes me think less of Manning. I guess I should give him something of a pass on account of Letterman being friendly with him, but if he really enjoyed the last decade and change as much as he claims he did, he's gotta be a douche.

This reminds me of the heyday of daytime talk shows where you could run Phil Donahue, Jerry Springer, Sally Jesse Raphael, Geraldo, Jenny Jones, Ricki Lake, Maury Povich and Montel Williams for literally eight hours a day.

If you count Carnie Wilson and her show, you're now working overtime.

Chill out, man. You attack my tastes because I think the casual fan would prefer to see Bob Dylan sing one of his greatest hits on Letterman's finale week rather than promote an album playing a song most people have never heard?

You've got issues.

I got issues? Blah, Blah Blah, was your childish response.Grow up! That was a personal attack. And your childish claim everyone wanted to hear him play a tune he wrote 50 years ago.

I, made a reasonable post and opinion. it was certainly not written for you. Obviously it was over your head. but, Your replied like a teenager, stating that fans and Letterman himself wanted a certain song not played in decades. really? Who's got issues? Get out of your glass house dude. You simply have no idea what your babbling about. every single artist last week,and for 33 years pimps something On talk shows. Why should Dylan be any different? Who attacked who here? Please leave me alone.

Edited by Best Player Available

Considering Letterman's last week was all about nostalgia (including the deliberate placement of Foo Fighters), it's safe to guess he'd have preferred a classic Dylan song instead of the recent drek.

Considering Letterman's last week was all about nostalgia (including the deliberate placement of Foo Fighters), it's safe to guess he'd have preferred a classic Dylan song instead of the recent drek.

Umm, yeah. I'd respond to BPA's last rant but I'm afraid he'd accuse me of stalking.

Edited by eball

just watched the segments on youtube...nice job of a finale. really enjoyed the everlong montage...really liked the slightly extended pause on zevon. anyone know if letterman and chris elliot are on friendly terms, perhaps i missed it, but i would have thought he would have been good as one of the final guests. all in all despite what Julia Louis Dreyfuss said, this was a very good series finale

Agreed! It was a fitting farewell, nothing over the top, just a few laughs. My favorite part may have been how excited his son was when he announced his friend. I hadn't watched much in recent years, but he always made me laugh...