Letterman's last show is tonight

He's still my favorite late night host. I don't watch as much as I used to, but he will be missed, and his last week has been outstanding!

I also think he is very relatable. Self deprecating, Midwest guy.

FYI if you liked letterman over the years, tonight is a retrospective episode with clips.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up. I used to be an avid Letterman fan, but stopped watching years ago for no other reason than a lack of time to watch (even DVRing it, I'd never get to it). He is, by far, my most favorite late night host of all time and I will definitely tune in tonight.

Thanks again.

Bill Murray and Bob Dylan was on

The ending with Dylan was incredibly awkward. I don't know if that's just the way Dylan is in general, but he didn't look the least bit interested in acknowledging Dave's presence. Kind of odd given the circumstances. I'm sure I'm just over analyzing this though.

And after tonight, Kimmel will be the longest running late night host on TV. That feels so weird to say. The amount of recent turnover in the industry has been crazy.

I like Dylan as much as the next music fan, but he really should have hung it up years ago, at least older acts like the Stones, The Who etc are putting forth the effort...saw Dylan a couple years ago for the first time and he was kind of awful...he didn't take the stage until maybe the 3rd song and when he did, he was totally inaudible(i know that is his style, but this was horrible) Eddie Vedder, who I am not the biggest fan of, was on letterman the night before and he absolutely killed it and seemed to enjoy himself and the occasion he was there for. Other acts during this farewell tour have done the same thing, go out, sing something outstanding and pay tribute to Dave. They should have had Future Islands do the final show seeing as how Letterman absolutely loved their performance from a year or so ago

The ending with Dylan was incredibly awkward. I don't know if that's just the way Dylan is in general, but he didn't look the least bit interested in acknowledging Dave's presence. Kind of odd given the circumstances. I'm sure I'm just over analyzing this though.

And after tonight, Kimmel will be the longest running late night host on TV. That feels so weird to say. The amount of recent turnover in the industry has been crazy.

And what a ridiculously obscure song to play -- some 40s Sinatra tune that isn't even one of Frank's best.

kind of strange that Letterman makes a big point of calling him the greatest songwriter of our time(not disputing that one bit), then he goes and sings a Sinatra song....

And what a ridiculously obscure song to play -- some 40s Sinatra tune that isn't even one of Frank's best.

I like Dylan as much as the next music fan, but he really should have hung it up years ago, at least older acts like the Stones, The Who etc are putting forth the effort...saw Dylan a couple years ago for the first time and he was kind of awful...he didn't take the stage until maybe the 3rd song and when he did, he was totally inaudible(i know that is his style, but this was horrible) Eddie Vedder, who I am not the biggest fan of, was on letterman the night before and he absolutely killed it and seemed to enjoy himself and the occasion he was there for. Other acts during this farewell tour have done the same thing, go out, sing something outstanding and pay tribute to Dave. They should have had Future Islands do the final show seeing as how Letterman absolutely loved their performance from a year or so ago

By any chance, has Dave had Blues Traveler on during his going away stretch? I remember, years ago, EVERY TIME he booked them, he "ran out of time," and they never got to perform. It was like a standing joke.

Someone in the music industry thought it was a good idea to have Dylan release an album of standards.

kinda like kimmel and matt damon?

By any chance, has Dave had Blues Traveler on during his going away stretch? I remember, years ago, EVERY TIME he booked them, he "ran out of time," and they never got to perform. It was like a standing joke.

kind of strange that Letterman makes a big point of calling him the greatest songwriter of our time(not disputing that one bit), then he goes and sings a Sinatra song....

dylan recently released a album of Sinatra tunes, in fact volume 2 will come out soon. Dylan took this on as a challenge since he paints way more than he writes these days. as anyone who followed him he could care less what people think. he never did. he Wasn't being disrespecful to Letterman. he is who he is. Slightly strange. The reasons for that are well documented.

The tune on letterman last night is the only frank tune he does currently on tour. It is his final encore tune. he did the recordings because he thought it would be interesting to interpret frank's music which was usually done with a big up to 50 piece orchestra. With sparce accompaniment The album is mainly a pedal steel, stand up bass, drums, piano, and vocals. he picked the tunes for these albums since in his opinion they are a bit bluesy and apparently originally recorded when Frank & Ann Margret hit the rocks.He admits he doubts Frank would like them. he looks,like,a fish out of water without a guitar. he has not played one in well over 12 years because of arthritis. he has become pretty good on the piano now and plays a baby grand on the road.

yeah, I know he did an album of Sinatra standards, and I get the song actually does have a 'goodbye' message, but there had to be a Dylan song that expresses a similar sentiment, this show/episode especially wasn't one to promote your newest endeavor...i guess i am just nit-picking

dylan recently released a album of Sinatra tunes, in fact volume 2 will come out soon. Dylan took this on as a challenge since he paints way more than he writes these days. as anyone who followed him he could care less what people think. he never did. he Wasn't being disrespecful to Letterman. he is who he is. Slightly strange. The reasons for that are well documented.

The tune on letterman last night is the only frank tune he does currently on tour. It is his final encore tune. he did the recordings because he thought it would be interesting to interpret frank's music which was usually done with a big up to 50 piece orchestra. With sparce accompaniment The album is mainly a pedal steel, stand up bass, drums, piano, and vocals. he picked the tunes for these albums since in his opinion they are a bit bluesy and apparently originally recorded when Frank & Ann Margret hit the rocks.He admits he doubts Frank would like them. he looks,like,a fish out of water without a guitar. he has not played one in well over 12 years because of arthritis. he has become pretty good on the piano now and plays a baby grand on the road.

yeah, I know he did an album of Sinatra standards, and I get the song actually does have a 'goodbye' message, but there had to be a Dylan song that expresses a similar sentiment, this show/episode especially wasn't one to promote your newest endeavor...i guess i am just nit-picking

I don't consider that nit-picking in the least. I think was in poor taste to self-promote in that forum.

I don't consider that nit-picking in the least. I think was in poor taste to self-promote in that forum.

It would be self promotion if you could understand what the old man was rambling.

Personally I think the album is insulting because 95% of Sinatra's music is about the frickin' vocal performance.