PFF top 101 from 2014

So far KW at 75 and Dareus at 55.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2014-60-to-51/

Criteria:

- This list is based solely on 2014 play. Nothing that happened in previous years or may happen in the future is accounted for. This isnt about class or talent, its about form throughout 2014.

- This list is created with an All Positions Created Equal mantra. So you wont see 32 quarterbacks heading the list even though that is the most valuable position, instead seeing how guys played relative to what is expected from their position. You might disagree with this for doing a Top 101 list which is your right, but this is how weve done it for the past four years and will continue doing it so that every player has a fair shot at getting the respect they deserve.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Mario Williams should have been on this list, but I do enjoy that he gets no respect. It will hurt him for the HOF, which I do believe he on the way of deserving.

i expect he will be on the list. They have only revealed 101-31. Edited by YoloinOhio

Spoiler alert:

J.J.Watt is #1 on that list and it's by a wide margin. Watt graded out with a +107.5, nearly doubling the grade of the player who ranks #2 on profootballfocus.com's list............Buffalo's own........Khalil Mack, with a +55.3.

Mario Williams is not on the list. He graded out with a +16.1. Kyle Williams w/ a +20.2. Marcell w/ a +25.6.

Marcell is the highest graded Buffalo Bill on profootballfocus.com, which means there will be no more Buffalo Bills on the list.

Mario had a fantastic 2104. Played solid every game. Played the run well. Kyle had a decent bounce back year from a bad 2013. That Kyle is on the list and Mario is not means whatever ratings criteria they use it is wrong. Mario was simply better than KW all last year.

It looks at first glance they are only up to the top 30, right? If so, mario could still end up on the list. Funny how dareus is 29th last year, and only 55th this year when he had another year of 10 sacks and contributed in 2014 to a top 10 team against the run.

This is why I don't take much stock in these lists. They are just time killers during the off season.

Spoiler alert:

J.J.Watt is #1 on that list and it's by a wide margin. Watt graded out with a +107.5, nearly doubling the grade of the player who ranks #2 on profootballfocus.com's list............Buffalo's own........Khalil Mack, with a +55.3.

Mario Williams is not on the list. He graded out with a +16.1. Kyle Williams w/ a +20.2. Marcell w/ a +25.6.

Marcell is the highest graded Buffalo Bill on profootballfocus.com, which means there will be no more Buffalo Bills on the list.

Mack is not from WNY.

Glad he's on my team, and Mario is very strong player, but not top 100 in todays game where, regrettably, speed is more noticed/impactful than power.

These ratings are pretty worthless in a team game. Eagles had, what, 9 Pro Bowl players, look where that got them.

Any ranking system that puts Mario at less than the best player on this defense is flawed IMO.

The entirety of what Buffalo has done schematically the last 2 seasons centers around what he can do against both the run and the pass.

Mario still hasn't been deemed "elite" by their metrics. I don't see him making it, which is ridiculous.

I remember that now... They did that graphic after the season and KW and dareus were the only elite players. So I guess that's it for the Bills on the list. With that in mind, I do not care about this list. Mario is an elite player.

Any ranking system that puts Mario at less than the best player on this defense is flawed IMO.

The entirety of what Buffalo has done schematically the last 2 seasons centers around what he can do against both the run and the pass.

any ranking system is flawed.

im assuming hes #3 behind KW and MD -- and while i think hes the best, its not like they havent shown to be consistently among the best at what they do. if he got buried behind some role player that only performed because of marios work, id be more bothered.

any ranking system is flawed.

im assuming hes #3 behind KW and MD -- and while i think hes the best, its not like they havent shown to be consistently among the best at what they do. if he got buried behind some role player that only performed because of marios work, id be more bothered.

Sure, I get that.

I just have a hard time taking a ranking system seriously when Mario Williams doesn't make the list, but Brandon Marshall (the LB from Denver) is ranked 60th.

I mean, Everson Griffen made the list, as did Mike Daniels, Brandon Williams, and a bunch of others that aren't close to Mario.

Now, it doesn't really rankle me to the point where I think Mario isn't getting the recognition he deserves or anything; more like every time a list like this comes out, I find it more and more difficult to take PFF's grading system seriously.

They do an outstanding job of accumulating data; their critical analyses, IMO, are highly questionable.

Sure, I get that.

I just have a hard time taking a ranking system seriously when Mario Williams doesn't make the list, but Brandon Marshall (the LB from Denver) is ranked 60th.

I mean, Everson Griffen made the list, as did Mike Daniels, Brandon Williams, and a bunch of others that aren't close to Mario.

Now, it doesn't really rankle me to the point where I think Mario isn't getting the recognition he deserves or anything; more like every time a list like this comes out, I find it more and more difficult to take PFF's grading system seriously.

They do an outstanding job of accumulating data; their critical analyses, IMO, are highly questionable.

The problem I always have had with them is that they assign a point value to a player even though they have no idea what that player was suppose to be doing on that play. That becomes increasingly difficult with OL and DL if they don't know who has what assignment. If an error is made, a block missed for example, how do they know which player to assign it to? Sure it's obvious in some situations but what do they do in the others? Do they just assume it's the fault of the player who isn't as good?

With Mario, if his job on a play is to hold the outside edge and he does that well, do these guys know that? Or are they just looking at the person who made the tackle.

The problem I always have had with them is that they assign a point value to a player even though they have no idea what that player was suppose to be doing on that play. That becomes increasingly difficult with OL and DL if they don't know who has what assignment. If an error is made, a block missed for example, how do they know which player to assign it to? Sure it's obvious in some situations but what do they do in the others? Do they just assume it's the fault of the player who isn't as good?

With Mario, if his job on a play is to hold the outside edge and he does that well, do these guys know that? Or are they just looking at the person who made the tackle.

Good post. This is why stats don't work as well in football as they do in baseball. IMO, Mario should have been in the conversation for defensive player of the year. Hughes got paid a ton of money in large part because of Mario. Every single player on that defense is better because of Mario. He is one of the best FA signings we have ever had.

its tough, and with the human element you can get "favorites" racking up points unfairly. as a jumping off point, i like it for rough ideas on guys around the league in a "good bad or ugly" sense, but would never blindly argue his +3 is leaps and bounds better than +1 for the other guy.

Ironically I am listening to Colin cowherd and he is talking about "great players who don't win you games." He mentioned Carmelo Anthony, josh Hamilton, and mario Williams.

I can think of two games he won for the Bills. Miami 2013, GB 2014. DEs arent always in a position to win games for their teams. I thought of 2 in 2 years. Check yourself Cowherd!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wayne is spot on.

PFF makes a noble attempt to 'statisfy' football but, lacking inside information, will always be doomed to failure.

They (PFF) probably do a better job analyzing units (offense, defense, ST) than individuals.

Mack is not from WNY.

Glad he's on my team, and Mario is very strong player, but not top 100 in todays game where, regrettably, speed is more noticed/impactful than power.

These ratings are pretty worthless in a team game. Eagles had, what, 9 Pro Bowl players, look where that got them.

Are you implying you think Mario isn't fast?