Tom Brady Signing Bonus

An interesting question. Actually a serious question. Are the Pats* allowed to recoup a pro-rated portion of Brady's signing bonus based on suspension due to conduct detrimental to the team/league?

$80M (typo)

$30M signing bonus pro-rated over 5 years (80 games) is $375K. 4 game suspension = $1.5M. The Pats** would have an opportunity to profit $500K from this after paying their $1M fine.

* illegally videotaping opposition defensive signals (2000 - 2007)

** using illegal equipment (2004 - 2015)

coincidental fact: Tom Shady career (2000 - 2015)

Edited by napmaster

Thanks Tom. It was a serious question. Didn't know if it was specific contract language unique to a player, or something the union didn't allow.

Even in the most heinous cases it's been a struggle.

And that's not to mention the pats are all in supporting Brady so it seems they would have no incentive to suddenly screw him.

I think its happened in the past. Perhaps vick or plaxico?

Guys put in jail mid contract and unable to play for a year... I believe one or both were subject to repaying some, after a bit of a battle.

I think Vick ended up giving up something like 3m out of 20 paid... After committing major crimes.

Guys put in jail mid contract and unable to play for a year... I believe one or both were subject to repaying some, after a bit of a battle.

I think Vick ended up giving up something like 3m out of 20 paid... After committing major crimes.

Sounds about right. Even if the pats tried (they never would), they would probably lose that battle.