ESPN Insider - Why Bills will make the playoffs in 2015

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not have ESPN insider, you may want to check out Murph's show. Murph just interviewed him. I presume that it will be available later to listen to at your convenience.

Good article. Good interview.

They have arguably the best defense in the AFC, if not the NFL

They have a superb set of skill-position players

They only need Cassel to be a midtier quarterback

Bottom line

The state of the AFC is so strong that it will almost certainly take a double-digit win total for Buffalo to qualify for the postseason. However, that would require only a single-game improvement over the Bills' 9-7 record from last season.

The defensive talent level and Ryan's creative play calling should keep that group at or above last year's performance, so it will boil down to whether the offense can carry its share of the playoff burden. Given the upgrade McCoy will provide on the ground and the combined big-play ability the Watkins/Harvin/Clay combination could give to a passing offense that ranked 28th in yards per pass attempt, the odds look to be quite good -- even if Cassel provides merely average quarterback play. Look for the Bills to make the playoffs for the first time since the 1999 campaign.

I was struck that the GBYPA difference between dead last (Bills 7.0) and a greatly improved (McCoy 8.3) was only 1.3 yards. Let's assume that 25 of the 35 rush attempts per game are Good Blocking. That means the upgrade from last year to McCoy is 32.5 yards per game. 32.5 extra yards rushing seems like a lot and maybe that is enough to become a ground control team. But I look at 32.5 yards as one 10 yard bubble screen, a ten yard out, and a ten yard curl pattern. All of which are not hard to do in this league where the offense has all the advantage in the first ten yards.

On another note all the Bills running backs sucked last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Spiller was the worst of the bunch. McCoy and Karlos Williams may get the bulk of all the carries. I could see Harvin getting more rushes than Fred. That assumes Fred even makes it out of camp - which I do not.

I was struck that the GBYPA difference between dead last (Bills 7.0) and a greatly improved (McCoy 8.3) was only 1.3 yards. Let's assume that 25 of the 35 rush attempts per game are Good Blocking. That means the upgrade from last year to McCoy is 32.5 yards per game. 32.5 extra yards rushing seems like a lot and maybe that is enough to become a ground control team. But I look at 32.5 yards as one 10 yard bubble screen, a ten yard out, and a ten yard curl pattern. All of which are not hard to do in this league where the offense has all the advantage in the first ten yards.

On another note all the Bills running backs sucked last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Spiller was the worst of the bunch. McCoy and Karlos Williams may get the bulk of all the carries. I could see Harvin getting more rushes than Fred. That assumes Fred even makes it out of camp - which I do not.

32 yards rushing per game is a lot. It takes the Bills from one of the worst to one of the best rushing teams in the league. You're talking 500+ yards more for the season. Roughly 3 more first downs on average per game. Those are not insignificant stats.

The key will be our running game, behind, unfortunately, an average OL. If we're successful running it will take significant pressure off our passer by forcing defenses to concentrate on the run. With less defensive focus on our receivers, they should excel even without a premier quarterback. Hope this offensive equation works, though I was never very good at math. Of course if the OL surprises, and it all comes together, playoffs are excellent possibility.

As said above, I think the o-line is really the key to any improvement on the offense. We do have the skill players, maybe a slight upgrade at QB with Cassel—or if EJ develops, that would be a real bonus. But the key to being able to run consistently is more on the line than the running backs.

Bills Playoffs ? = Improved O-line !

Edited by CSBill

ESPN Insider is dumb

ESPN still has not begun to figure out how to monetize its online content. Its website is a clunky, noisy mess that reflects a lack of cutting-edge thought and design. It's similar to ESPN's television content. ESPN has felt little pressure to adapt over the years because it has had a near-monopoly on 24-7 sports coverage. I'm really hoping a legitimate competitor steps up one day soon to dethrone the so-called "worldwide leader." I really hate ESPN.

what's he going to say on the john murphy show.. that they will suck? geez the offseason is slow

He was invited to come on the JMS as a result of his article, he wasn't asked to join out of the blue and then had to come up with content to discuss. Also, most of what he discussed was analytics. Can't really make that stuff up.

Actually I believe any fan of the Bills would find it the info he provides insightful

Bills may make the playoffs, but, I for one, have a hard time buying the argument that Rex is going to improve on a defensive ranking of #4 in the league. with 32 teams, there is a long way down, and not really much upside. I think it better than 50/50 that the D will rank lower than Schwartz D last year. that means the O will have to pickup more than a little to get the Bills to the playoffs. Might happen, but a long way to go. Everybody is drinking the kool aid on Rex's D and how much better it will be. We will be fortunate if they are as good as last year....when they were VERY good.

Edited by bigK14094

Bills may make the playoffs, but, I for one, have a hard time buying the argument that Rex is going to improve on a defensive ranking of #4 in the league. with 32 teams, there is a long way down, and not really much upside. I think it better than 50/50 that the D will rank lower than Schwartz D last year. that means the O will have to pickup more than a little to get the Bills to the playoffs. Might happen, but a long way to go. Everybody is drinking the kool aid on Rex's D and how much better it will be. We will be fortunate if they are as good as last year....when they were VERY good.

I think the D improves statistically just by having a competent offense. It's all going to ride on OL play. If the young guys progress under new coaching and RI returns to form, we are going to the playoffs!