RIP BB King

Yup. But the blues are my favorite and he is one of the many that hooked me over 40 years ago when I first sat behind the drum kit.

The blues really are the best, in my opinion.

I got to see him years ago in a medium sized venue, (about 2500 people), with good seats. It was different from your normal concert, no distractions, it was just about the music. And with him...that's all you needed. It was like he was playing in your living room.

I remember when I was in college in the 80;s. A friend of mine was a transfer from Rollins College in FLA, and the one day he was wearing a BB King concert T-shirt. I kind of laughed and said, "BB King, really?" He just smiled and said "yeah, I thought the same thing before the concert, then i listened to him play". He made me a fan that day.

Nice obit from the Memphis newspaper...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/local-news/king-of-the-blues-blues-legend-bb-king-dead-at-age-89

Late in life Mr. King would look back philosophically on his journey. Even after 80 years, he would return to the simple words of advice his mother gave him on her deathbed.

“She said, ‘If you be nice to people, there will always be somebody nice to take care of you, to look after you.’ And, you know, that’s the truth. Every time it seemed like I was going to get in trouble, there was always someone to talk for me, to speak for me. Over the years, it’s turned out that I’ve always had friends that I didn’t even know I had,” said Mr. King.

“I think about everything that’s happened and sometimes I want to say I was lucky. You know, I believe in God; I believe that maybe the great one smiled down on me. But I also thought I had a little talent. I didn’t think I was the best, but I had a little talent. But mostly, I was a pretty good guy.”

Edited by Lurker

RIP King of Blues.

I was fortunate to be able to see BB King and his band in concert while in college. I was not really sure what to expect, but as soon as the concert started, it became clear that it was going to be one of the best concerts that I had ever seen.

It still is.

the more the news sinks in, surprisingly, the better I feel. I'm still shedding an occasional tear - but what an amazing life and legacy. And how lucky were we to have him with us for so long! his music will always be around to help those who need it to get through tough times. and even when you're feeling good, the blues can still be your best friend. knowing that generations to come will still have this warms my soul. thank you Mr. King

Edited by coloradobillsfan

• 2 weeks later...