Stephanopoulos Steppin' In It

ABC's George Stephanopoulos is caught having donated $75K to the Clinton Foundation, and at first I was thinking this was just one of those stories that belonged in the "Hillary Is Corrupt" thread, but it seems to be gaining some serious legs that could really hurt his role at ABC.

It's reported he is no longer moderating the 2016 debate on ABC, and is getting significant flack now for his aggressive interview recently with the author of the book that breaks down how the Clintons take bribes from foreign countries for political favors.

In other words, he has no credibility any more.

During an official interview for ABC News, Stephanopoulos deliberately ran interference for Hillary Clinton’s foundation–a foundation to which he had contributed tens of thousands of dollars–without ever disclosing his personal ties. Just take a look at a few of his comments and questions to Schweizer to get a flavor for his coverage of the foundation’s financial scandal.

“But you take it pretty far,” he told Schweizer. “The Clinton campaign says you haven’t produced a shred of evidence.”

“No smoking gun,” Stephanopoulos added. “It’s nothing that would warrant a criminal investigation.”

If we've learned anything from situations like this, it's that the left will start calling for Bill O'Reilly's head again. :lol:

Him and Brian Williams should start a liar show. I don't know how many other ex staffers work at the different tv news there may be plenty. I don't watch. I've always wondered why they would ever be hired because I would think the news reporting and commentary should be objective. Fat chance I know. I didn't realize that he was slotted to be the debate moderator. That's wild.

George Stephanopoulos worked in the Bill Clinton administration as a senior adviser. In what way is he qualified to question the author of a book which seeks to expose alleged corruption of the Clintons?

ABC should be embarrassed.

Stephanopoulos is not so much a journalist, he’s a member of the palace guard. It’s quite clear which side he’s on in this situation.

Stephanopoulos says he doesn't recall whether any of his donations were actively solicited by the Clinton Foundation http://cnnmon.ie/1EHM0f7

ANYONE believe that ?

Thus freeing him up to work on Hillary's campaign directly...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clintons leaked this themselves.

George Stephanopoulos worked in the Bill Clinton administration as a senior adviser. In what way is he qualified to question the author of a book which seeks to expose alleged corruption of the Clintons?

It makes him very qualified. He has a better idea where the bodies are buried.

Stephanopoulos apologized in a statement, saying that he considered the donations in the public record in the first place:

I made charitable donations to the Foundation in support of the work they’re doing on global AIDS prevention and deforestation, causes I care about deeply,” he said. “I thought that my contributions were a matter of public record. However, in hindsight, I should have taken the extra step of personally disclosing my donations to my employer and to the viewers on air during the recent news stories about the Foundation. I apologize.”

This apology is not just insufficient, but it magnifies the problem for ABC.

First, no one will buy that having one’s name on a tax form buried in a file constitutes full disclosure for a journalist working on a story about an organization to which he has financial ties. It’s absurd. The entire point of journalism is to inform readers and viewers, not to play coy games about issues directly related to credibility.

Second and more important, Stephanopoulos’ statement shows why he never should have conducted the interview with Schweizer in the first place. Stephanopoulos was already suspect, given his connections to the Clinton White House in the 1990s, on any topic that delves into potential scandal in Clintonland. Here he admits that he went into that interview with the predetermined perspective that the foundation operates legitimately as a charity, a point which has come under heavy scrutiny by watchdog groups such as Charity Navigator. The “interview” was little more than a barely veiled attempt at spin control on behalf of the Clinton Foundation and the Clintons themselves, and now we know at least one reason why.

Byers reports that ABC News is standing by Stephanopoulos, but one wonders for how long. What would they do with another reporter who failed to disclose a serious financial relationship between themselves and a story, especially one with the political consequences as this one? Because if they truly don’t think that’s a serious problem, then the smoking gun in this case points not just to the credibility of Stephanopoulos but to ABC News, too.

Edited by B-Man

Thus freeing him up to work on Hillary's campaign directly...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clintons leaked this themselves.

It makes him very qualified. He has a better idea where the bodies are buried.

You know when...whoops slip there......if she wins I will be very intrigued at her cabinet pics.

Georgie has always been a political operative for the left in the Media. The question to Romney about contraception which came from left field during the debates in 2012 seemed odd for a matter of hours until the "war on women" went into full swing the next day.

Georgie has always been a political operative for the left in the Media. The question to Romney about contraception which came from left field during the debates in 2012 seemed odd for a matter of hours until the "war on women" went into full swing the next day.

That's when I wrote him off as having any credibility left. It was clear he was told to set up that narrative. Never watched him or listened to him again after that.

Edited by LABillzFan

Yawn....

If he was on there as a pundit or for editorials it would be a yawn. Alas, he's not. He is supposed to be unbiased and he isn't so he's just another liar.

Edited by Dante

He's far worse than Brian Williams who is just a pathological liar. George Stuffapoleupmeazz has masqueraded as a legitimate news media person. He's not and never has been. He's worked all along with the Clintons and will soon join the Cankles for 2016 victory tour.

This is a must read by Howard Kurtz on the George Stephanopoulos mess.

FTA:

For George to give money to the Clinton Foundation, out of all possible charities, knowing full well that Hillary was gearing up to run, is a grave error in judgment.

For him not to disclose this to his network or to viewers—especially when he was aggressively interviewing “Clinton Cash” author Peter Schweizer about that very foundation—is unthinkable.

And for ABC to brush this off as an “honest mistake” is embarrassing.

Precisely. And now we learn too that Hillary Clinton’s current campaign manager interned for George Stephanopoulos.

This is a big deal. He wants to pose as an objective journalist for ABC News, but he would not even confess to donating to the Clinton Foundation while interviewing someone about that Foundation

He's far worse than Brian Williams who is just a pathological liar. George Stuffapoleupmeazz has masqueraded as a legitimate news media person. He's not and never has been. He's worked all along with the Clintons and will soon join the Cankles for 2016 victory tour.

Hey leave me out of this.