Jimmy Garoppolo and the future of the AFC East

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Garappolo's four game starts are going to give Patriot fans a window to the very real and very sad world without Tom Brady as their QB.

I would trade EJ for him. At worst, the Bills would gain nothing.

I love comments like these. It will be so funny to bring them up when Garappolo throws a pick six and gets embarrassed by the Bills at RWS while EJ is tearing the Pats defense up with his new weapons and professional coaching.

Garapollo isn't the future for the Pats anymore than Cassel or Mallett were. You aren't allowed to even sneeze on Tom Brady, otherwise it's a 15 yard penalty. He's been the most protected QB in NFL history. Because of this, he will play another 5 years easy. He's been planning on playing well into his 40's so a lot of his training focuses on longevity. He has a fitness guru with him almost every day that monitors everything from his diet to his yoga. Garapollo will probably play halfway decent and then the Pats will trade him for a high draft pick and then get another "the next Tom Brady" late in the draft and do the whole thing again

I'm predicting the Cheatriots beat the Steelers week 1 & then go into Buffalo overconfident and get blown out by the Bills.

i don't think they will get blown out by the Bills, but I do think the Bills have the better team and the HFA will be huge that day. I think the Bills win in a relatively close game. I think the Steelers could beat them too but their defense is a big question mark. That will be a very interesting kick off game.

Who the Patriots have drafted at QB since 1994:

Rd # Player Name School

7 198 Jay Walker Howard

7 227 Michael Bishop Kansas State

6 199 Tom Brady Michigan

4 117 Rohan Davey Louisiana State

6 201 Kliff Kingsbury Texas Tech

7 230 Matt Cassel USC

3 94 Kevin O'Connell San Diego State

7 250 Zac Robinson Oklahoma State

3 74 Ryan Mallett Arkansas

2 62 Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois

The odds of Jimmy Garoppolo turning into anything are slim. It's highly unlikely he's the next Tom Brady. The Pats** got lucky with Brady. They have drafted lots of QB's that have turned into nothing. I know there is this aura around the Patriots** that they find a lot of talent but it's "more probable than not" that Garoppolo doesn't amount to much.

Who the Patriots have drafted at QB since 1994:

Rd # Player Name School

7 198 Jay Walker Howard

7 227 Michael Bishop Kansas State

6 199 Tom Brady Michigan

4 117 Rohan Davey Louisiana State

6 201 Kliff Kingsbury Texas Tech

7 230 Matt Cassel USC

3 94 Kevin O'Connell San Diego State

7 250 Zac Robinson Oklahoma State

3 74 Ryan Mallett Arkansas

2 62 Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois

The odds of Jimmy Garoppolo turning into anything are slim. It's highly unlikely he's the next Tom Brady. The Pats** got lucky with Brady. They have drafted lots of QB's that have turned into nothing. I know there is this aura around the Patriots** that they find a lot of talent but it's "more probable than not" that Garoppolo doesn't amount to much.

They drafted 4 guys that will start games in the NFL this year. One of them is our starting QB. How many QB's have other teams drafted in this time that will start games this year? Drafting QB's is a crapshoot but the Patriots have been much more successful than other teams. That's a fact

I think if you look at where (2nd rd)and when (at Brady's advanced age)he was drafted, it's very possible the Pats are hoping he actually is Brady's successor. The guys they drafted in the 3rd or later over the years were either intended to be cheap backups or guys they could end up trading down the road. JG appears to have a higher upside than all of those guys. That said, I think he was a reach in the 2nd and haven't seen anything from him yet to show he's a lock to take over the reigns.

The silver lining for the Pats here is the 4 games they will get to see him in a situation where he is playing meaningful games and is being game planned for... This is priceless in the evaluation process of JG.

Edited by YoloinOhio

10/17 - 58.8% - 90 yards - 0TD/0INT - 17.1 QBR - 73.2 Rating - 3* sacks for 19 yards

(was sacked another time, but a flag wiped it out)

Why is he suddenly appointed king with that? His other "good" stats were when he came in for mop up duty in other games.

And wasn't that with our defense minus Dareus and Gilmore?

They drafted 4 guys that will start games in the NFL this year. One of them is our starting QB. How many QB's have other teams drafted in this time that will start games this year? Drafting QB's is a crapshoot but the Patriots have been much more successful than other teams. That's a fact

So Ryan Mallett and Jimmy Garappolo are now successes?

which 4? Mallett may or may not start. Hoyer wasn't drafted by NE, he was a UDFA, and is battling for the same job as mallett. Cassell may or may not start. The only ones we know for sure right now is brady and Garoppolo and Garoppolo is only starting because of the suspension, not because he's earned a starting role. Edited by YoloinOhio

So Ryan Mallett and Matt Cassel are now success stories? Why's that again?

I see one player on that list that is a success story. Tom Brady.

Garoppolo was one QB i was hoping we would have gotten in the draft with his quick release & his accuracy along with all of his other strengths .

I hope this will be a game that just because of Brady not being in the line up Rex & the team won't sleep on & i don't think they will .

This could be one of those so called trap games if the Bills allow it to be .

And if the Bills win it the comments will say that it would be different if Brady was a t QB . I like Rex wish Brady was playing so we could prove just how good our team really is .

But the Bills will get to prove themselves in the second game against the Pats later in the season !!

GO BILLS !!!

So Ryan Mallett and Jimmy Garappolo are now successes?

which 4? Mallett may or may not start. Hoyer wasn't drafted by NE, he was a UDFA, and is battling for the same job as mallett. Cassell may or may not start. The only ones we know for sure right now is brady and Garoppolo and Garoppolo is only starting because of the suspension, not because he's earned a starting role.

So Ryan Mallett and Matt Cassel are now success stories? Why's that again?

I see one player on that list that is a success story. Tom Brady.

how many guys did we draft in that time that start in the NFL? success or not, these guys are the starting QB's for an NFL team

Garapollo isn't the future for the Pats anymore than Cassel or Mallett were. You aren't allowed to even sneeze on Tom Brady, otherwise it's a 15 yard penalty. He's been the most protected QB in NFL history. Because of this, he will play another 5 years easy. He's been planning on playing well into his 40's so a lot of his training focuses on longevity. He has a fitness guru with him almost every day that monitors everything from his diet to his yoga. Garapollo will probably play halfway decent and then the Pats will trade him for a high draft pick and then get another "the next Tom Brady" late in the draft and do the whole thing again

I also think Brady isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Peyton has talked about how if he'd played in the 90s or earlier his career would have been over long ago. Kurt Warner keeps half seriously teasing a comeback because he knows he can't be touched anymore. Granted it only takes one big hit (Favre was done after Moats got him) but 80% of the Pats offense is handing it off or throwing a quick pass, the only time Brady actually holds the ball is when he knows Gronk will be open in the seam and he knows any incompletion he gets hit on is likely bringing a flag.

The only QBs who get hit now are guys like Cam & Big Ben, who either act like fullbacks (Cam) when they run or hold onto the ball longer than anyone else does (Ben).

how many guys did we draft in that time that start in the NFL? success or not, these guys are the starting QB's for an NFL team

The Bills have drafted 4 players in that time that have started in the NFL(Todd Collins, JP Losman, Trent Edwards and EJ Manuel). What's your point?

EDIT: You can almost make that 5, if you count Jeff Tuel.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

how do you know mallett and Cassel will be the starting QBs on their teams this year? If they arent, the answer is the same for the Bills as it is the Pats - 1. EJ, brady. You can't count both Brady and JG. Only one is the "starter." JG is starting 4 games by default.

EJ Manuel, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Todd Collins

Not the greatest roster ever, but 4 guys who have started multiple NFL games.