Ruining QBs: The NFL's Recipe for Disaster

Even Parcells lamented the challenges of finding the right QB. These guys are just rare, and I like the fact that the roster is being filled out despite the lack of having one. If and when the Bills have or acquire a true stud, that player will be in a very enviable and advantageous situation. It is what it is. Given the massive shake-up that may or may not happen at O-line, I believe the QB competition will be complicated enough. I am satisfied to watch this season play out knowing that this is not the same old Bills, and they will be fully loaded with their draft picks and players that are good enough to perhaps get traded for additional first round ammunition if there is a QB they really want in 2016. Patience is a virtue.

It's really the way to do it... you either have a stud QB who demands big bucks, and the rest of the team has to make a few sacrifices... or you have a mediocre/bad QB, and you build the rest of the roster to be as kick ass as possible. Those are really the only two ways to get into the playoffs/Superbowl.

It's really the way to do it... you either have a stud QB who demands big bucks, and the rest of the team has to make a few sacrifices... or you have a mediocre/bad QB, and you build the rest of the roster to be as kick ass as possible. Those are really the only two ways to get into the playoffs/Superbowl.

Parcels won two Super Bowls with Simms and Hostetler.

I always got the sense he was coached hard to 'avoid mistakes' (eg., all those awful deep sideline routes) which seems to me to be the worst way to let a young guy learn. Pretty much the opposite of how Rex handled Geno Smith.

I agree

John, I've said this before, EJ's best moments came during two minute drills. When there is no time to think. The rest of the time he was over thinking which led to indecision. Thus checking down or not pulling the trigger.

The one and only thing I liked about Hackett was that he understood this. He tried to push the pace and keep ej running on his instincts.

The problem was too many three and outs and the defense was getting exhausted. The reason for a large number of those three and outs were the awful left guard play two years ago that never gave the kid enough time or confidence to execute.

I rewatched a lot of those games, it was a joke. We could have had Rodgers back there and it wouldn't have mattered, there was just no time to do anything. Combine that with the "let's force ej to be a pocket guy" approach when there wasn't much of a pocket, and it was tough sledding.

Following the logic here, Marrone did Manuel a huge favor by benching him for the final 12 games of the season. Manuel may not realize this yet (he seems churlish toward Marrone based on recent comments), but maybe later in life he'll figure it out (like Brees did).

Letting Fitzpatrick go was a big mistake by the Bills. He's better than Kevin Kolb and more likely to play.

Edited by dave mcbride