Retirement. Do you have a plan to move when you do?

mead107

I hear that Costa Rica is a great place to retire.

Yes, it has frequently been in the top places to retire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2014/01/06/the-15-best-countries-to-retire-to-in-2014/

One of the situations to consider when looking at part-time or full-time retirement places outside the US is whether it is a gated community. That may be the case for the retirement places in Costa Rica.

In a perfect world I would love to retire & move to Las Vegas. Throw my full energy into capping games & making extra money that way. Realisticly though, my wife would never move to Vegas. Not one of her favorite places. I will probably follow wherever my kids go. If they stay in WNY I will happily stay here. If they go somewhere else I will go where they go. If I do stay in WNY 2 things will happen though. I will need to downsize on my house as I doubt I could afford the taxes of my current house on my retirement income & I will definately get the f*ck out of here for the the months of January/Feb and go somewhere warm for those 2 months.

In a perfect world I would love to retire & move to Las Vegas. Throw my full energy into capping games & making extra money that way. Realisticly though, my wife would never move to Vegas. Not one of her favorite places. I will probably follow wherever my kids go. If they stay in WNY I will happily stay here. If they go somewhere else I will go where they go. If I do stay in WNY 2 things will happen though. I will need to downsize on my house as I doubt I could afford the taxes of my current house on my retirement income & I will definately get the f*ck out of here for the the months of January/Feb and go somewhere warm for those 2 months.

Vegas gets too hot in the summertime. Even at midnight or 1 in the mornings its still pretty warm.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

Ground water is becoming very scarce in the southwest.

Beware.

Vegas gets too hot in the summertime. Even at midnight or 1 in the mornings its still pretty warm.

The water............went to Lake Mead and it is really shrinking and pulling back. I think water or its cost will be a huge issue out there soon.

I looked into Boulder City outside Vegas. Damn, houses were like twice the price for what I had in Buffalo. I know taxes are low if at all, but water, electricity, and house costs really took it off my list. Plus the heat, you are going to sit inside a lot in the summer

Someone mentioned Savannah or Charleston, next on my list of places to check out.

I am retired and live in a state that people retire to. I wouldnt mind living in western North Carolina though.

same general area we currently live in. we'll probably stay when we retire. we've considered moving from the mouintains to the beach but in looking around i'm unconvinced. places right on the water are extrermely expensive and reasonably priced places are often planned communities with tons of restrictive covenenats and hoa fees and they're a drive and park to the beach.. can't see myself letting a group of stepford wives tell me not to plant corn and tomatoes in my own backyard. for what it's worth, i don't find savanah or charleston to be low cost of living in comparison to where i now live. one other thing about the coastal area is that the islands there are called barrier islands for a reason. hurricanes and erosion happen. islands actually reshape and/or disappear as does the coastline. and then there's the rising sea level... debate continues at ppp.

Went to my wife's sisters beach house in lewes Delaware they plan on moving to it in 2 years when she retires. He is retired.

Not sure what wife and I will do yet.

Would like to move closer to daughter and son

Would have to buy 2 condos and split time. One in Stoughton MA and one in Virginia

ever eaten at Striper Bites in Lewes? If not, insist that they bring you there on your next visit...they make a DELICIOUS bloody mary, and the Striper Club if to die for (if you like fish)

I hear ya. I once went to Vegas over Memorial Day weekend & the temps were well above 100 degrees. I walked out of the Mirage at 2am one night & there was a decent breeze. Felt like a hair dryer was blowing right on you.

I hear ya. I once went to Vegas over Memorial Day weekend & the temps were well above 100 degrees. I walked out of the Mirage at 2am one night & there was a decent breeze. Felt like a hair dryer was blowing right on you.

We were there in July once and played golf in the afternoon; finished around 5. 117 degrees.

My wife's relatives all live near Palm Springs; the 100+ days start in May and go through September. But it's a dry heat.

We were there in July once and played golf in the afternoon; finished around 5. 117 degrees.

My wife's relatives all live near Palm Springs; the 100+ days start in May and go through September. But it's a dry heat.

Wow that is pretty impressive you got thru a round of golf in those conditions. Dry heat or not thmat is still pretty hot!

ever eaten at Striper Bites in Lewes? If not, insist that they bring you there on your next visit...they make a DELICIOUS bloody mary, and the Striper Club if to die for (if you like fish)

did not eat at striper bites. Will keep it in mind for next trip.