Retirement. Do you have a plan to move when you do?

mead107

Went to my wife's sisters beach house in lewes Delaware they plan on moving to it in 2 years when she retires. He is retired.

Not sure what wife and I will do yet.

Would like to move closer to daughter and son

Would have to buy 2 condos and split time. One in Stoughton MA and one in Virginia

We "retired" because our company went CH11. I had 35 years but was only 55. Found another job in the Richmond VA area. Bought a nice house in '04, did some improvements in '06. We're not "underwater" now, but couldn't get enough out, to move when I retire again in 2016.

I don't have any feelings for Richmond, and would like to move, but all things considered, we're lucky to be where we are, and most likely will not move.

I'd love to move back to BUF, but wouldn't want the NY taxes. Oh well, Wegmans in coming in 2016, so maybe it won't be that bad!

The way things are going any retirement option doesn't look good. When and if it does happen Cali is a tough place to do it. It seems like the default plan here is to sell your house and move to another state. One of our friends just sold their house and moved to Arizona.

I visited Arizona, I was not impressed, I kind of like to see green grass and some water. I found it to be depressing when we were in a friends backyard in a nice suburb and I guess I expected to see a lawn, all they had was sand and scrub. The neighbors yards were pretty much the same, although some had astro turf.

I have lived all around this great big country and have been fortunate to travel a lot around the world for business and pleasure. I grew up in WNY but now live in VA but have no family here and our two boys are in college. I have no idea where they will be in a few years but as soon as I graduated from college, I went where I could find the best job which was not WNY.

My wife and I are looking at other countries to retire. Looking at other countries tax benefits, cost of living, etc. We are looking closely at he US VI which is not another country but makes collecting SS, etc. easier. I expect we will keep a small place somewhere in the US (maybe WNY as I still have some family there) and keep my season tix.

No plan per se, but envision having a place here in Richmond and one in DC(actively looking now at places we can buy and rent for next 10 or so) . Also see using VRBO or a hose swap site a ton to stay a month in places ...I can see New Orelans for a month in February, Breck for a month in March, Portland Maine for a month in August...that kind of thing.

All supposing we have enough cash.....which we ain't got right yet!

Edited by plenzmd1

Step 1 - Buy lottery ticket

Step 2 - Win

Step 3 - ????

Step 4 - Retire to Savannah GA or Charleston SC.

I was under the impression that places like Savannah or Charleston were appealing because they didn't require winning the lottery to live there.

I was under the impression that places like Savannah or Charleston were appealing because they didn't require winning the lottery to live there.

I've heard CountDorkula needs to win the lottery just to get his Saturday evening six pack.

I have lived all around this great big country and have been fortunate to travel a lot around the world for business and pleasure. I grew up in WNY but now live in VA but have no family here and our two boys are in college. I have no idea where they will be in a few years but as soon as I graduated from college, I went where I could find the best job which was not WNY.

My wife and I are looking at other countries to retire. Looking at other countries tax benefits, cost of living, etc. We are looking closely at he US VI which is not another country but makes collecting SS, etc. easier. I expect we will keep a small place somewhere in the US (maybe WNY as I still have some family there) and keep my season tix.

VA is not bad for retirees. Va does not tax your Social Security. That may or may not be a big deal for you but it needs to be considered.

Probably keep our house in NY or our camp...sell one and then get a place in Florida (Naples) for the cold winter months. This past winter reinforced the fact that I am a kitty when it comes to -15 degree days.

NAples/Marco Island are simply fantastic

I visited Arizona, I was not impressed, I kind of like to see green grass and some water. I found it to be depressing when we were in a friends backyard in a nice suburb and I guess I expected to see a lawn, all they had was sand and scrub. The neighbors yards were pretty much the same, although some had astro turf.

Ground water is becoming very scarce in the southwest.

Beware.

VA is not bad for retirees. Va does not tax your Social Security. That may or may not be a big deal for you but it needs to be considered.

Thanks, something to consider as well. VA is about middle ground for US retiree taxing http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retirement/T055-S001-state-by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees/index.php

There are 38 states that do not tax SS but typically states that do not have income tax or do not tax SS make up for it by increased personal property taxes or other taxes/fees.

We plan to retire somewhere where it is warm. If we keep a place in the US, it would be warm during the season we are there. My wife has a business that can be run anywhere in the world and plan to keep that business running when I retire. Fortunately, my wife is fluent in French and Spanish and my Deutsch is ok so that opens some other countries to us.