Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's not perfect. But he's really good. And giant - I think he's 6'8. A+++ character/intelligence. He will go high. Keep in mind how long he has to block for these 2 QBs on every snap. Forever.

A more under the radar guy is Jason Spriggs from IU. yes, IU.

Ok I'll take your word for it. I get that he's huge but I don't like his footwork, what looks like a lack of leverage (maybe because of his 6'8" frame) and my fear and belief that he would be nothing better than an absolute turnstile against NFL pass rushers, especially speed rushers.

What he projects to me as is possibly a decent RT at the next level, at best. While the O-line is obviously a good place to upgrade I really don't know that I'd want to spend our first round pick on that guy when I think there will have to be better value available in that spot.

Edited by starrymessenger

Ok I'll take your word for it. I get that he's huge but I don't like his footwork, what looks like a lack of leverage (maybe because of his 6'8" frame) and my fear and belief that he would be nothing better than an absolute turnstile against NFL pass rushers, especially speed rushers.

What he projects to me as is possibly a decent RT at the next level, at best. While the O-line is obviously a good place to upgrade I really don't know that I'd want to spend our first round pick on that guy when I think there will have to be better value available in that spot.

Probably best suited for RT in NFL because like many tackles coming from these types of offenses, his run blocking his ahead of his pass pro at this time. I don't think he's a first rounder but he's been projected there. Second rounder probably. He's maybe the 4th best OT in the draft if that helps. The Bills will likely be drafting higher than his value in the 1st so I wouldn't worry - unless they trade down.

Tunsil is the best OT in the draft but he got turned inside out by Lawson at auburn last week and has some baggage so you just can't tell what will happen with these guys. And Conklin at MSU is a 1st rounder but he has some similar issues as Decker with pass pro - and that's despite being in a pro style offense. Last year he needed lots of help vs Bosa and doubt that's what the scouts want to see. We will see how it goes this year. Conklin probably a RT in NFL as well.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Cardale with their WR core is such a waste of talent. Might be the only place he'd be downgrading from OSU's weapons this year.

My favorite storyline from this past draft is everyone saying "the Buckeyes might have won the championship, but they had so few guys drafted their talent level clearly isn't close to the SEC".

When the Buckeyes string together a few maybe, but until then.......

Probably best suited for RT in NFL because like many tackles coming from these types of offenses, his run blocking his ahead of his pass pro at this time. I don't think he's a first rounder but he's been projected there. Second rounder probably. He's maybe the 4th best OT in the draft if that helps. The Bills will likely be drafting higher than his value in the 1st so I wouldn't worry - unless they trade down.

Tunsil is the best OT in the draft but he got turned inside out by Lawson at auburn last week and has some baggage so you just can't tell what will happen with these guys. And Conklin at MSU is a 1st rounder but he has some similar issues as Decker with pass pro - and that's despite being in a pro style offense. Last year he needed lots of help vs Bosa and doubt that's what the scouts want to see. We will see how it goes this year. Conklin probably a RT in NFL as well.

Thanks. Your comments on Decker make a lot of sense to me. I'll keep an eye on the others you have mentioned.

Edited by starrymessenger

Anyone watch Baylor this year? This kid is an absolute beast!

@BruceFeldmanCFB: #Baylor star Corey Coleman now has 20 TD catches this yr. Only 7 FBS TEAMS are averaging more TD receptions per game than Coleman.

Yeah, Briles is the man. Picture if we had Briles as HC and Schwartz as DC?!? Oh well, it would have been nice.

Coleman is a monster and Baylor has been pumping out WRs. Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon, etc...

Yeah, Briles is the man. Picture if we had Briles as HC and Schwartz as DC?!? Oh well, it would have been nice.

Coleman is a monster and Baylor has been pumping out WRs. Kendall Wright, Terrance Williams, Josh Gordon, etc...

spreads don't work in the NFL, I thought Chip Kelly could do it but they have regressed after initial success

Their offenses are pretty different. Kelly and Malzahn (who was my 1st choice) run more of a zone read. Briles offense is similar to the Patriots spread offense.

RG III was a tour de force at Baylor. He is also a tremendous athlete who possessed incredible speed. He has a great arm and he is accurate. But in the pro ranks he is totally befuddled. He simply can't read pro defenses and hasn't to this point developed a feel for the pocket.

RG III is very smart in an academic sense but he has little instinct (so far) for the pro qb position. There are some diva personality traits that have hindered him in the pro game but his main problem is he simply hasn't exhibited the processing ability that is an absolute necessity to play in the pro ranks.

He is the type of person who elicits both a pro and anti lightning rod response. I would love to see a coach who is creative enough to manage his assets and liabilities and adapt it to the pro game. It certainly won't happen in Washington but maybe an organization and HC that is courageous enough to think outside of the box (Kelly) will be able to utilize his unique skills.

Their offenses are pretty different. Kelly and Malzahn (who was my 1st choice) run more of a zone read. Briles offense is similar to the Patriots spread offense.

must be the beginners version. I read an article can't remember where, where Bryce Petty talked about how he had no idea of QB progressions and line protections and such and wish he had learned some in college.

Sackenberg just nailed a ref in the head with a pass over the middle. It is fate. What number do you think he will wear here.

When O'Brien left the Penn St program it had a tremendous affect on Hack. When I watched him in his freshman year I thought he was the next coming of Brady. Coaching matters! What has also hindered Hackenberg is that for the past couple of years he has been playing behind a very bad OL. When you watch him now it's obvious that at times he is gun shy. I watched a game he played in a week or so ago. He made some beautiful pro passes and he also made some atrocious throws.

Would I take a chance on him? Yes.

i take back every nice thing I said about Decker. He's !@#$ing terrible!!!

Watching Mich St vs Nebraska in this "LG V10 Surround" format is pretty awesome....

You get to see everything Connor Cook does.

What do you mean? the camera is following him?

Mich St got robbed, the Nebraska player was clearly out of bounds should have been no TD.

No biggie though Connor still looked good 23 -37 335yds 4TDs 1nt.

hope this loss slides Cook closer down the board to us.

Jeremiah: Hackenberg more project than prospect

0ap3000000574689.jpg

EVANSTON, Ill. -- It was exciting to get a chance to see Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg up close Saturday in the Nittany Lions' game at Northwestern. However, I came away very unimpressed with the junior signal-caller in PSU's 23-21 loss.

Overall, he looked like more of a project than a prospect.

It's impressive to see how the ball jumps out of his hand in warm-ups. He's a big, physical player with a live arm. That's what makes him so intriguing.