Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

You are laughing at a 22 year old kid who made a decision to stay in school, get his degree, and continue to prepare for an NFL career instead of jumping in completely raw? Do you even know the story on Jones?

Whether he gets a degree or not, it's looking like a bad decision to stay in school. He would likely have been a first or second round pick if he had declared. Now for whatever reason, he appears to have regressed. Who knows why? Urban Meyer is not exactly famous for developing NFL-ready QBs, so I don't think it's necessarily true to say that we would have seen the same regression had he declared and spent the last 6 months on an NFL roster. Maybe he just got a big head and didn't work very hard or maybe the OSU offense is not suited to him. He still has big-time tools and it is clear from what he did last year that he can be a top-level QB. He will definitely get a shot somewhere but it's hard to argue that the decision to return to school was a good one. Edited by mannc

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are laughing at a 22 year old kid who made a decision to stay in school, get his degree, and continue to prepare for an NFL career instead of jumping in completely raw? Do you even know the story on Jones?

Did he say he was staying to get his degree, or is he just going to stay a year, and leave before he gets his degree? And if he is so serious about getting a degree, couldn't he just return later (like many other pro athletes do)?

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS ”

— Cardale Jones, Twitter: October 5, 2012.

I really doubt that getting a degree played a big part in his decision.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Did he say he was staying to get his degree, or is he just going to stay a year, and leave before he gets his degree? And if he is so serious about getting a degree, couldn't he just return later (like many other pro athletes do)?

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we aint come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS

Cardale Jones, Twitter: October 5, 2012.

I really doubt that getting a degree played a big part in his decision.

yes, his degree was one reason he stated he was staying. Also, he wasn't ready for the NFL. That tweet was a joke from 3 years ago.

Whether he gets a degree or not, it's looking like a bad decision to stay in school. He would likely have been a first or second round pick if he had declared. Now for whatever reason, he appears to have regressed. Who knows why? Urban Meyer is not exactly famous for developing NFL-ready QBs, so I don't think it's necessarily true to say that we would have seen the same regression had he declared and spent the last 6 months on an NFL roster. Maybe he just got a big head and didn't work very hard or maybe the OSU offense is not suited to him. He still has big-time tools and it is clear from what he did last year that he can be a top-level QB. He will definitely get a shot somewhere but it's hard to argue that the decision to return to school was a good one.

there are a number of reasons why he appears to have regressed. He lost his deep threat to the NFL and they have yet to adequately replace him, so his huge arm hasn't been used much. They don't take big shots down the field because they don't trust any of their WRs to make the play. Second, they lost their brilliant OC and QB coach to a HC job. The new guys are still in process of replacing him - it hasn't been smooth. The offense that urban wants to run is a perfect fit for JT, who he recruited. It is not a good fit for jones, who he didn't recruit. They patched together a way for him to succeed in a 3 game stretch last year, but that is not the way they want to run the offense for a whole season. Third, the OL is playing better now but was not up to expectations early in the season. Finally, urban wanted to give him the chance to keep the job based on what he accomplished. He just doesn't run well enough for what they want to do. Urban wants a QB with RB skills. That is Barrett.

Urban doesn't care about developing QBs for the NFL , it isn't his job to do so and he cares only about winning at OSU . Jones spends all his time with the QB coach, not urban. He's being developed for this system, not the NFL. When the season is over he can train for th NFL.

Jones knew he might not start this year when he decided to come back. He was never going to declare. He will be drafted as a project in the mid to late rounds into a system that fits him and be given the chance to develop. If it doesn't work out he wants to be a financial planner is set for life in Cbus in a role like that. That's the best case scenario for him.

A team I could see drafting him is Arizona, with Arians.

Edited by YoloinOhio

there are a number of reasons why he appears to have regressed. He lost his deep threat to the NFL and they have yet to adequately replace him, so his huge arm hasn't been used much. They don't take big shots down the field because they don't trust any of their WRs to make the play. Second, they lost their brilliant OC and QB coach to a HC job. The new guys are still in process of replacing him - it hasn't been smooth. The offense that urban wants to run is a perfect fit for JT, who he recruited. It is not a good fit for jones, who he didn't recruit. They patched together a way for him to succeed in a 3 game stretch last year, but that is not the way they want to run the offense for a whole season. Third, the OL is playing better now but was not up to expectations early in the season. Finally, urban wanted to give him the chance to keep the job based on what he accomplished. He just doesn't run well enough for what they want to do. Urban wants a QB with RB skills. That is Barrett.

Urban doesn't care about developing QBs for the NFL , it isn't his job to do so and he cares only about winning at OSU . Jones spends all his time with the QB coach, not urban. He's being developed for this system, not the NFL. When the season is over he can train for th NFL.

Jones knew he might not start this year when he decided to come back. He was never going to declare. He will be drafted as a project in the mid to late rounds into a system that fits him and be given the chance to develop. If it doesn't work out he wants to be a financial planner is set for life in Cbus in a role like that. That's the best case scenario for him.

A team I could see drafting him is Arizona, with Arians.

Can't disagree with anything here, but nothing you have said refutes my point that Cardale should have entered last year's draft. And I wasn't criticizing Meyer, just stating a fact.

Can't disagree with anything here, but nothing you have said refutes my point that Cardale should have entered last year's draft. And I wasn't criticizing Meyer, just stating a fact.

i don't think he should have, because he did not feel ready after playing 3 collegiate games. It was not right for him. It isn't all about up front money. For him. Everyone is different. He had a lot of reasons to come back and not a lot of reasons to leave. He was a very raw third string QB who played three games. Jumping to the NFL would have been a bad decision. And any FO who would have spent a high draft pick on a project like that would have made a bad decision too. Edited by YoloinOhio

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- For most of the game, it felt as if Michigan State was one play away from being in real trouble.

Connor Cook never let it come to that.

Cook threw for 398 yards and four touchdowns, and No. 7 Michigan State remained undefeated with a 52-26 victory over Indiana on Saturday. Cook threw all four of his touchdown passes on third down, and he fell just short of the school record of 400 yards passing, set by Bill Burke in 1999 against Michigan.

"I just felt like I was in the zone," Cook said.

Just on third down, he went 10 of 15 for 139 yards, according to STATS. On a day when Michigan State struggled to run the ball until the very end of the game, Cook was under pressure to perform. He was brilliant.

"It's just a very, very intense feeling of focus -- that's all I can really describe it as," Cook said. "You just feel like every throw is on the money, every read is correct, is right. And you're just throwing the ball with conviction."

"He throws to covered receivers that have reasonably tight coverage. He puts the ball where his guy has a chance," Indiana coach Kevin Wilson said. "If you were to talk to a pro scout or pro coach, they would talk about challenge throws, and when the guy's really getting challenged, the ability to not throw at the guy but put it where his player can make a play."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/undefined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EscRTW_ejTY

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Love this Christian McCaffrey kid, he would be an ideal replacement for McCoy in a couple yrs. Also could fill in as a slot back like Welker and Woodhead.

“First and foremost, I’m impressed with how athletic he is,” Toby Gerhart said by phone. “He’s quick, catches the ball out of the backfield. The thing I didn’t know is how tough and physical he is. This is just the start for him. He’s going to break every record at Stanford.”

Going into Saturday night’s home game against Washington (3-3, 1-2), the No. 10 Cardinal (5-1, 4-0 Pac-12) have averaged 49 points in their past four games. Not coincidentally, McCaffrey has averaged 295 all-purpose yards in those games.

In other words, he’s collecting three football fields worth of yardage in each game. McCaffrey leads the nation’s FBS players in that category (253 average). At 141 rushing yards per game, he’s dueling Oregon’s Royce Freeman (142) for the Pac-12 lead.

McCaffrey has to be considered the front-runner for Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year.

There’s a chance that his brother Dylan, a hotly recruited junior quarterback at Valor Christian High School in suburban Denver, will follow Fournette to LSU. Youngest brother Luke is a promising quarterback on the Valor varsity even though he’s a freshman.

McCaffrey and his brothers are the progeny of former Stanford soccer player Lisa Sime McCaffrey and former Cardinal and NFL wide receiver Ed McCaffrey. His maternal grandfather, David Sime, was once considered the world’s fastest human."

http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports/article/Stanford-s-Christian-McCaffrey-amassing-fans-6587566.php

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

What we learned during Week 8 in CFB

Losses by Florida State and Utah, along with a scary injury for Baylor QB Seth Russell, could have a lasting impact on the college football season. Here are seven things we learned Saturday.

Winners and losers from Week 8

Pitt WR Tyler Boyd has to be pleased with his involvement in a win over Syracuse. However, things didn't go as well for Miami coach Al Golden. Who were the heroes and goats of the weekend?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2016 NFL Mock Draft: Bears take the first QB -- and it's not Jared Goff

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

Memphis redshirt junior quarterback Paxton Lynch is dripping with physical talent and the consistency has finally caught up as he has been spectacular this season. He currently has a 72 percent completion rate and a 17-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, leading Memphis to an undefeated record through seven games. Lynch's game film shows a lot of NFL throws and his coaches and teammates swear by his leadership -- bottom line, he has NFL teams believing.

Team needs will change, the draft order won't end up this way and the prospects below will help and hurt themselves throughout the 2015 season. But if the draft was held tomorrow, here's how it might play out:

I think he's better than that...I have a few more guys to preview, and then an entire month of watching every throw from every game of the "draftables", but I dare say there's a chance that Doughty ends up one of my top 3 QBs.

If only this year's draft class would have been in place in EJ's draft year----wishful thinking. There are a number of qbs (Cook and Goof) who play in a pro style of game that better prepares them for the next level.

The one qb that intrigues me as to how he will be rated when his college career is over is Hackenberg. While playing for O'Brien in his rookie year I thought he was going to be an elite prospect. Over the past two seasons playing behind a lackluster OL and in a scheme that doesn't suit him he has regressed.

When you watch him now he makes some exceptional passes that make you believe that he will be a good pro. But too often he plays like he is shell shocked because of the constant pressure. Without a doubt the departure of O'Brien to the pros had a major effect on his game and development. Coaching does matter!

Whoa

@NFL_CFB: Coach: Scouts say Memphis' Lynch likely to be 1st QB drafted in 2016.

--> https://t.co/mSorfHabU2https://t.co/kuD3N8uHcR

@McShay13

Updated Top-32 for 2016 NFL Draft has few new faces, including QB Paxton Lynch, who has Memphis sitting at 7-0 http://es.pn/1NCTnvy

anyone with Insider able to give us folks with "little jobs" the low down on 4-32?