TRADE DOWN.......the smart thing to do.

If we can get a starter at OL and DE/OL or S that would be a victory. We just need to hit twice.

So, maybe bundle some picks and move UP instead of down. We don't need camp bodies much and the UDFA signings happen the minute the Draft is completed. I'd prefer they draft two quality players that will see some playing time, than seven bindlestiffs that won't contribute nor make the team.

Even though I put really little stock in Draft Grades, it's going to be ironic and hysterical that the Bills are going to get terrible draft grades this year. And the reasoning will be that they traded away the pick last year, so they didn't have a #1 or #4 this year, which took their grade down this year a letter or two.

Even though last year, they would take the grade down a letter or two, for giving away the later picks.

In other words, they didn't give us credit for the great player and great pick, Watkins. They will take points off in both years. In other words, making no sense.

So you believe that there are 8 openings on this years team?

I agree with trading down in this draft but I would prefer to receive more picks for next year draft...that would be a smart thing to do.

My apologies bladiebla, my response was intended for the OP...some how the quote went astray to you.

Edited by pimp 2

With only two picks in the first four rounds it makes the most sense for the Bills to trade down to acquire more picks. They need to fill several positions - one maybe two OLs, one maybe two TEs, a DT, an OLB/DE hybrid, a S, and Santa even a QB would be nice. That's 8 players with only 6 picks.

Not gonna happen without some guts & creativity.

Whaley is a dealer (which I love) and which I think is the best way to obtain what you need more readily. Expect to see him trade down multiple times to acquire more picks and then use those picks to maneuver his way into filling the team's potential needs. It's a lot cheaper in the short run to fill backup roles with draft picks than having to pay vet FAs, plus you have that

"potential high reward" on your side.

Potential Whaley moves considering that there are some pretty good vet players available via trade:

1. Trade R2 (#50) + R6 for later R2 + R3 + R5.

2. Trade R3 (#81) + R7 for later R3 + R4 + R6.

Bills picks(8): R2,R3,R3,R4,R5,R5,R6,R6.

R2: OT

R3: TE C. Walford

R3: OLB/DE hybrid

R4: DT

R5: S

R5: Trade for vet TE Mart. Bennett (Chi.)

R6: QB S. Mannion

R6: Trade for vet OG E. Mathis (Phily)

Here's to Whaley and the Bills having great success the next few days.

I'm ok with acquiring more picks, - you should have stopped right there. The rest of this boarders on ridiculous... trade for Bennett - does Chicago want to do this, same with Mathis. A team would really give up a 2, 3 and a 5 to move up a few spots in the 2nd round? Even though we give them a 6th, still makes no sense.

Not just directed at you, but has a trade ever been suggested out of the blue that ever happened?

Edited by klos63

Even though I put really little stock in Draft Grades, it's going to be ironic and hysterical that the Bills are going to get terrible draft grades this year. And the reasoning will be that they traded away the pick last year, so they didn't have a #1 or #4 this year, which took their grade down this year a letter or two.

Even though last year, they would take the grade down a letter or two, for giving away the later picks.

In other words, they didn't give us credit for the great player and great pick, Watkins. They will take points off in both years. In other words, making no sense.

Predictable...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000489141/article/2015-nfl-draft-day-1-quicksnap-grades-for-afc-teams

If you say so. I know you have a lot of professional experience running NFL franchises.

Not.

Thanks for your positive contributions to this board. I've really enjoyed reading your "perspectives" in the few open threads tonight. :sick:

With only two picks in the first four rounds it makes the most sense for the Bills to trade down to acquire more picks. They need to fill several positions - one maybe two OLs, one maybe two TEs, a DT, an OLB/DE hybrid, a S, and Santa even a QB would be nice. That's 8 players with only 6 picks.

Not gonna happen without some guts & creativity.

Whaley is a dealer (which I love) and which I think is the best way to obtain what you need more readily. Expect to see him trade down multiple times to acquire more picks and then use those picks to maneuver his way into filling the team's potential needs. It's a lot cheaper in the short run to fill backup roles with draft picks than having to pay vet FAs, plus you have that

"potential high reward" on your side.

Potential Whaley moves considering that there are some pretty good vet players available via trade:

1. Trade R2 (#50) + R6 for later R2 + R3 + R5.

2. Trade R3 (#81) + R7 for later R3 + R4 + R6.

Bills picks(8): R2,R3,R3,R4,R5,R5,R6,R6.

R2: OT

R3: TE C. Walford

R3: OLB/DE hybrid

R4: DT

R5: S

R5: Trade for vet TE Mart. Bennett (Chi.)

R6: QB S. Mannion

R6: Trade for vet OG E. Mathis (Phily)

Here's to Whaley and the Bills having great success the next few days.

no one trading up to 50. has this ever happened more than once or twice in history?

The "Round One on the first day" format of the Draft makes day one draft grades even more laughable. Oh the Jets did a great job making this pick at #6. Really - they get an A+ because they didn't screw up pick 6? Here's to hoping for an F- for the rest of their draft :beer:

The value isn't there for a trade down, judging off yesterday the best we could hope for is 2 5ths to move down 5 spots or more. No one is handing out a 3rd to move from #50 to #60. There's going to be a quality prospect at 50, just take them.

If there is a player available at a certain position at #50 other teams will call the Bills and they will offer draft picks to move into that position. There will still be a lot of very good players available at that point.

The reason I think the Bills need to consider trading down is because they really only have TWO premium picks in R2 & R3. Walking away with another pick in R3 or R4 via a trade down would net us another potential contributor THIS YEAR.

TE Bennett is being offered in trade. So is Mathis. Both can be had fairly cheaply for later round picks rather than using those picks on players that won't likely make the roster this year anyway. I'd rather have Bennett and Mathis THIS YEAR than use the picks to pick up draft picks for NEXT YEAR. How about we try to do our best to win THIS YEAR???

If there is a player available at a certain position at #50 other teams will call the Bills and they will offer draft picks to move into that position. There will still be a lot of very good players available at that point.

The reason I think the Bills need to consider trading down is because they really only have TWO premium picks in R2 & R3. Walking away with another pick in R3 or R4 via a trade down would net us another potential contributor THIS YEAR.

TE Bennett is being offered in trade. So is Mathis. Both can be had fairly cheaply for later round picks rather than using those picks on players that won't likely make the roster this year anyway. I'd rather have Bennett and Mathis THIS YEAR than use the picks to pick up draft picks for NEXT YEAR. How about we try to do our best to win THIS YEAR???

Teams just aren't in love with guys in this draft. Two trades in the first round and only doing it with 5ths doesn't suggest someone is going to be tossing around a 3rd or even 4th to move around in the 2nd. Teams want as many darts as possible this year in hopes of hitting a blind bullseye.

They will seek to obtain a player at everyone of the positions I mentioned............you watch and see.

OT is a MUST.

TE is a MUST.

QB is a need, but they probably can't get a franchise guy so why not take a chance on a guy like Mannion.

DT is a need in Ryan's defense. The Bills will go with 5 DTs on the final roster.

OLB/DE hybrid is a need in Ryan's defense.

S is a need, but not a MUST, especially if D. Williams shows improvement.

Not doubting they may draft in these positions but no way do 6 picks this year make it to the active roster let alone 8. We have a couple of holes the rest will be position upgrades which is tough to get in the 6th and 7th rounds . I think the front office did a great Job of filling most of the starter/ first backup roles in Free agency with the exception of possibly Offensive line.