IF we draft Petty.

QB  

91 members have voted

1. 1. If we draft high at QB, what quarterback(s) get cut?

• EJ Manuel
    • Matt Cassel
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • Jeff Tuel
    • They All Stay, some being moved to practice squad

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to imagine EJ's seat would be very warm. It'll come down to Taylor and him and it seems like Rex has spent a lot more time talking up Taylor. Cassel isn't going anywhere, worst case he's going to be the vet in the film room and on the sidelines (like how the Colts keep Hasselback around Luck).

If we did take Petty (or Hundley) it would not surprise me one bit to see EJ flipped for a ~5th before the weekend is out. I really only see 6 draftable QBs, though other people might like some of the small school guys.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I'd have to imagine EJ's seat would be very warm. It'll come down to Taylor and him and it seems like Rex has spent a lot more time talking up Taylor. Cassel isn't going anywhere, worst case he's going to be the vet in the film room and on the sidelines (like how the Colts keep Hasselback around Luck).

If we did take Petty (or Hundley) it would not surprise me one bit to see EJ flipped for a ~5th before the weekend is out. I really only see 6 draftable QBs, though other people might like some of the small school guys.

Exactly! The only guy safe on this roster at the QB position is Cassel if that happens.

p.s. Chuck Wagon you are very good poster and have been a great addition to the board.

I think EJ would definitely stay unless he played himself out of a job in preseason. He's shown enough, has diverse athletic ability, and is affordable to keep around and give him a shot in live games in preseason, especially since they have a 1st round pick invested in him. Cassel I think is safe too, in fact I would imagine EJ and Cassel will remain 1 and 2 in (in no particular order) with Petty as the #3 for potential development.

Lets remember, Petty is nothing more than a potential project QB so he isn't going to take anyones job unless he flat out beats them out in Camp/Preseason. So maybe Cassel or EJ could get cut in the preseason if Petty lights it up, but I SERIOUSLY doubt they are going to be eager to put Petty in and would rather develop him slowly given they got guys who can QB this year who also have potential to do a good job.

Taylor I think is the most vulnerable, he has a lot more to prove to earn a spot. Tuel is a lock to not make this roster. He has a 0% chance to remain on the roster...practice squad maybe, but not the main roster.

I think EJ would definitely stay unless he played himself out of a job in preseason. He's shown enough, has diverse athletic ability, and is affordable to keep around and give him a shot in live games in preseason, especially since they have a 1st round pick invested in him. Cassel I think is safe too, in fact I would imagine EJ and Cassel will remain 1 and 2 in (in no particular order) with Petty as the #3 for potential development.

Lets remember, Petty is nothing more than a potential project QB so he isn't going to take anyones job unless he flat out beats them out in Camp/Preseason. So maybe Cassel or EJ could get cut in the preseason if Petty lights it up, but I SERIOUSLY doubt they are going to be eager to put Petty in and would rather develop him slowly given they got guys who can QB this year who also have potential to do a good job.

Taylor I think is the most vulnerable, he has a lot more to prove to earn a spot. Tuel is a lock to not make this roster. He has a 0% chance to remain on the roster...practice squad maybe, but not the main roster.

I think you're mostly right, but is Cassel really that safe in comparison to the other two? They really didn't give up much for him, and if he looks like crap during camp (he is coming off a broken foot and has aged another year, after all), I don't think they'd find it too difficult to cut him.

Exactly! The only guy safe on this roster at the QB position is Cassel if that happens.

p.s. Chuck Wagon you are very good poster and have been a great addition to the board.

Thanks dude, so glad I found this place. I read Buffalo Rumblings for years but the comments section there isn't overly conducive to a conversation. I love football and love the Bills, this is my only outlet to talk to anyone else who knows something about the team.

Realistically, I think there is zero chance EJ gets cut before getting a chance to show what he can do in a live game in preseason. It would make no sense to cut him before then. Petty is no Andrew Luck, in fact his value is being debated from 2nd round to 4th round. He's a project...they are not going to get rid of one of their 2 most ready to play guys in EJ or Cassel to keep 2 projects with no NFL experience in Taylor and Petty. Wont happen. This team is built to contend NOW, there is no way they roll the dice on one guy with experience and two guys with no experience behind them.

EJ and Cassel 100% make it to at least preseason and most likely the week 1 roster unless they completely play themselves out of a job or Taylor shines and takes the job away (a big if at this time). Too much at stake to do what we did EJs rookie year...one vet (who didn't even make it out of preseason before getting hurt) and 2 unproven young guys.

It is possible Taylor lights it up, but until I see him do it on the field I will remain very pessimistic that he would play well enough to kick out EJ or Cassel in favor of him and Petty.

I also don't think we are going to draft a QB until the mid rounds, if we even draft one. I think they like the 3 way battle they have now.

Realistically, I think there is zero chance EJ gets cut before getting a chance to show what he can do in a live game in preseason. It would make no sense to cut him before then. Petty is no Andrew Luck, in fact his value is being debated from 2nd round to 4th round. He's a project...they are not going to get rid of one of their 2 most ready to play guys in EJ or Cassel to keep 2 projects with no NFL experience in Taylor and Petty. Wont happen. This team is built to contend NOW, there is no way they roll the dice on one guy with experience and two guys with no experience behind them.

EJ and Cassel 100% make it to at least preseason and most likely the week 1 roster unless they completely play themselves out of a job or Taylor shines and takes the job away (a big if at this time). Too much at stake to do what we did EJs rookie year...one vet (who didn't even make it out of preseason before getting hurt) and 2 unproven young guys.

It is possible Taylor lights it up, but until I see him do it on the field I will remain very pessimistic that he would play well enough to kick out EJ or Cassel in favor of him and Petty.

I also don't think we are going to draft a QB until the mid rounds, if we even draft one. I think they like the 3 way battle they have now.

I definitely agree there is almost 0 chance we cut EJ. Only plausible way he leaves is in a trade IMO.

I think you're mostly right, but is Cassel really that safe in comparison to the other two? They really didn't give up much for him, and if he looks like crap during camp (he is coming off a broken foot and has aged another year, after all), I don't think they'd find it too difficult to cut him.

Yeah, i totally agree with that. The one thing going for him though is that he is a seasoned Vet. So, even if he underwhelms, that veteran status I think helps keep him around as a backup. I don't think they want to go into the season with unproven backups like 2 years ago.

I definitely agree there is almost 0 chance we cut EJ. Only plausible way he leaves is in a trade IMO.

I agree with that as well. And given I don't know he will fetch much, I think there is more value in keeping him and seeing how he has grown, so even then I don't expect an EJ trade, but you never know.

If they draft Petty, isn't Whaley telling EJ he's a gonner? I don't see the logic to it otherwise.

No...Petty is a project, he isn't being taken to play this year. Just like when SD took Rivers. They had Brees, but he had yet to blossom. if they take Petty, he is being drafted to sit behind EJ or Cassel, or both for at least a year. EJ will still have a chance to win the job in camp and hold it if he plays well. Petty can always be used as trade bait if EJ takes this team over. Or if EJ plays well enough to warrant trade value and Petty wins the coaches over on the practice field next year, they could do what SD did...choose the younger player to take over, in which they could then trade EJ for some value.

EJ's immediate job would only be in jeopardy if we took Mariota or Winston early in the draft...which we obviously are not.